painting boat >

painting boat

Notices

painting boat

Old 02-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default painting boat

what is the difference between gelcoat and imron paint? i no that it costs mroe to paint a boat in gelcoat because u ahve to sand the original gelcoat off. also wut is it that gives boats the shiny finish?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: painting boat

You forgot about awlgrip
Old 02-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im jsut tryin to educate myself on the differences before redoing my boat
Old 02-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Registered

Hands down the shiniest paint job around is sprayed Awlgrip, when it's done right you cannot beat it. Gelcoat is great when it is brand new and comes out of the mold, other than that, in my opinion, it's a waste of time and money to prep and re-gel. Not only is paint more cost effective to apply, it is glossier and easier to repair as well. Imron is also a very good paint, but I have heard that Awlgrip is more suited to the marine environment whereas Imron was designed more for trucks and other over the road vehicles. Attached is a picture of my 35' Cigarette Mistress with a fresh coat of Super Jet Black Awlgrip sprayed last May. I have also been experimenting with a product called Signature Finish. It is very similar to Awlgrip or Imron, in that it is a two-part paint, but it also has a third component the manufacturer calls "Flow Fluid," which allows the product to be rolled on and gives the appearance of a spray job. Worked great for the engine room, bilge, bottom and transom so far, and I think I am going to experiment doing the deck and cockpit soon . . . hope that helped!

Harry
Attached Thumbnails painting boat-mistress1.jpg   painting boat-transom.jpg  
Old 02-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While your at it try some white primer on the boat condo drywall Nice set up.....beats my blue tarp
Old 02-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Registered

Cool Trips - that's my next project! Hopefully going to lease out most of that space and keep only about 1000 square feet or so for my toys. The other 5825 is far too valuable to keep for myself

If you guys know of anyone looking for either warehouse space or class-A office space in the Stuart, Florida area, let me know!

Harry
Old 02-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Banned

Aren't Awlgrip and Imron both polyurethanes?
Old 02-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would agree that Paint prob is best option for a redo on a boat ...but easier to repair than Gelcoat ? I saw a segment on "ship shape" about the roll on paint ...they redid a center console and it turned out pretty good ..
Old 02-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by offthefront
I would agree that Paint prob is best option for a redo on a boat ...but easier to repair than Gelcoat ? I saw a segment on "ship shape" about the roll on paint ...they redid a center console and it turned out pretty good ..
I saw that show too. I was hoping they sold copies of the shows. That whole restoration was very informative.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered

I know Awlgrip is a two-part polyurethane and I am almost positive Imron is the same. Signature, the "roll-on" paint is made in my town, Stuart, FL by a local chemist. Seems to work very well, almost dries harder than Awlgrip . . . very easy to use too, and no fuss no muss with the roller, makes it easier than trying to find a spray booth to use! You can't burn it or hurt it in anyway, wet sand with 2000 and buff the hell out of it. Comes up nice.

Harry

Quick Reply: painting boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.