AN Stainless braided hose ends >

AN Stainless braided hose ends

Notices

AN Stainless braided hose ends

Old 06-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Re: AN Stainless braided hose ends

Research the hose yourself before installing or re-using on motor. Friend just lost $20,000 motor due to Aeroquip pushlock hose blowing off. Appears that liner seperated, possibly from cleaning solvent , or wrong temp range.
Don't trust a hose supplier to give you the right hose. In this world everybody likes to come across like they know everything. And we might be fooled into listening to them like they know what thier talking about.
It sucks that young kids that work at part counters at places that just sell hoses and fittings don't care to have the training or hands on knowledge or real experience. This kind of stupidity is happening in every field of technical business. BBB
Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: AN Stainless braided hose ends

I have to agree with a lot of comments about these Aeroquip, Jegs, etc... hose ends. I see the major problem as the salt water getting in between the fitting and the hose and splitting them apart! Now that sucks! All stainless hose end crimped in to a really good hose like Parker or Aeroquip is how I roll now. Just sucks to have black or blue hoses though.

John S.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered

This particular problem was not a corrosion issue. There was no corrosion at all. BBB
Old 06-16-2006, 11:02 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what was the problem or should I say root cause of the hose to fitting failure?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered

Post Re: AN Stainless braided hose ends

Originally Posted by RLW
So what was the problem or should I say root cause of the hose to fitting failure?
Hose needs to be cut from fitting examined, trimmed back to create new fit. If any separation is found between the inner liner and the jacket where it is glued/vulcanized, the hose should be replaced.
I feel that the bond and cordage between the inner and outer jacket must not be compromised.
I feel in this particular situation that the hose end balooned out and oil pressure popped it off of the fitting.
Using swaged on ends, or ones that you thread the retainer on in the vise will prevent the hose from coming off of the fitting.
What happened to us is rare, but now we know it can happen, nobody can afford this sort of problem, even if wealthy. The stress and anxiety over spending so much time energy and money and maybe loosing the season sucks.
On a high performance motor you can't afford not to buy the best oil hoses that you can obtain.
Build things to aircraft specs and we will experience less failure, sometimes airplanes fall out of the sky, but not as much as boat motors blowing up.

Check out Carroll Smith's book about fasteners , and plumbing. It is filled with knowledge. BBB
Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give any of these guys the demensions, and the type fittings you need, and have them put them on? I need a fuel line. I thought I could use the one of a spare engine just like it, but this engine has closed cooling, and I have to route it differently
Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cuda,
If you interested, Aeroquip makes a USCG approved hose and fitting system using the FC234 AQP hose. It does have the SAE 100R5 crimped ends and the hose is fire rated, hence the USCG approval rating.
I have had great success using the Aeroquip Socketless System with the FC332 and FC598 AQP hose and fittings. It is a must to use their fittings and their hose. Follow the installation instructions to the letter and there should be no issues.
Soaking the hose in some unknown solvent is asking for problems.
The fittings are billed as being reuseable. Reuse with caution.
We have seen a failure on a AN flair fitting at the flair. It was cracked.
Maybe overtightening caused the fitting to be compromised.

Last edited by RLW; 06-17-2006 at 10:54 PM.