Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Go Ahead--RIP MY HEART OUT on this 565cid cam... >

Go Ahead--RIP MY HEART OUT on this 565cid cam...

Notices

Go Ahead--RIP MY HEART OUT on this 565cid cam...

Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Go Ahead--RIP MY HEART OUT on this 565cid cam...

It depends on the static compression ratio. I would guess however that those cams would provide 1000 hrs service life or more before a rebuild. I do not think they will run well past 5200 in a 565. Maybe try them with 1.8 ratio rockers to make 'em a little larger. I still think they are a little small even with a 1.8.

Last edited by IRONMAN; 02-09-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Mark....just run the thing." Big yella lawn ornament"
Old 02-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen, hangar queen,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-09-2005, 08:59 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Mark, I guess these guys never built a pleasure engine that had heads that flowed 380 int, 280 ex at .600 lift. The Crane 651 was awful in a 540 with afr heads. I think you're a little conservative. I'd go more like 236/240 .630 lift. As a matter of factI can give you a grind number if you want.
Patriyacht,
I have some first hand experience with the 236*/240* cam you mentioned in a N/A 540. The AFR heads used had an I/E ratio of 79% and they responded well to the narrowed 4* split on a 112* Lobe sep. That particular cam is ground straight up. Peak power was 718 @ 6000 rpm, depends where you want to make your number whether or not you install it @+4*.
Bob
Old 02-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hardin Marine/Comp Cams make some nice marine cams. Check em out.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Patriyacht,
I have some first hand experience with the 236*/240* cam you mentioned in a N/A 540. The AFR heads used had an I/E ratio of 79% and they responded well to the narrowed 4* split on a 112* Lobe sep. That particular cam is ground straight up. Peak power was 718 @ 6000 rpm, depends where you want to make your number whether or not you install it @+4*.
Bob
I installed them 4 degrees advanced to bring down the rpms a little. Because I had more exhaust port work done, I was originally going to have it ground 236 on the exhaust also. The Comp cams tech talked me out of that because of my cast aluminum exhaust manifolds Hope he was right, but it's not far off anyway. Jim V, no haven't dyno'd yet. Been working a lot of overtime and with this weather it's hard to get motivated. Should be soon.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ian,
I heard Jim V got your numbers significantly up on those ports but I agree with the short split rather than the single pattern.
Jim V
Got the call, the heads you did shipped yesterday. Thanks for your help with this project.
Bob
Old 02-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply RM. Hey Kaama, why don't you dyno the thing and see how right / wrong we are. Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen30
ROTFLMAO,,i've got more cam in my trucks 502 that tows my boat.chit,my audi 2.2l turbo motor has more cam.you plan on running power brakes in your boat. i figure that cam in those cubes should start falling on its face at around 4800-4900rpm.
741 cams work nice in 509's and merc uses something close in its 525efi,so your making the first 565ci 525hp motor. good job
Sutphen30/Bill,----Yeah, I know what you mean---pretty funny eh? In fact it's down right hillarious---quite emabarrassing actually to even think a cam that small would make a 565cid marine engine produce 787hp @5700-5800rpm---right? But hey, I know what you mean by your quote that I have posted above. Thanks for your opinion---I totally agree!!!

Actually, you may be interested to know that these cams actually came from someone you know very well---or perhaps I should say; someone you don't know well enough! Maybe you DO know them and don't care. Anyway, because these cams have had the I.D. numbers ground off, I was was quite curious to know what the duration and lift numbers actually were. Therefore, I took them to a shop called Darren Mayer Performance Engineering in Stevensville, Michigan PH: 269-428-5070 and had them spec'd out on his Cam Doctor which gives a print-out of the all the cam specs of everything a person needs to know about a cam. The cost to spec both cams out was $25 per cam.

You and everyone else reading here should also know that the engines these cams came out of were my own 565cid marine engines that came back from being rebuilt by Jack Bailey of Charlotte, NC. also known as "Budah" on a website called BoatFreaks, but he can always change his screen name. These are the same cams that Jack Bailey told me made 787hp @5700-5800rpm on his dyno---of which I NEVER did recieve any dyno sheets. That's because I don't believe he actually dyno'd them, but only started them up and ran them on the floor or something just to appear that they were dyno'd. These are the cams that Jack Bailey told me were CUSTOM GROUND camshafts based on his extensive knowledge in marine engines having worked at Merc's Lake-X and as a higher management of sorts of the engine assembly at Hendrick's Motorsports. This is the same person who likes to use the "Crane 741" mantra over and over again for several, various engines of differing CID's, etc. He also told me these were a split or dual pattern camshaft----and yet these cams are far from what he speaks of! Sutphen30, this is the same man you are dealing with, and are a Moderator for over at a place called BoatFreaks. Being as decent as I can say it Bill, you had better think twice about dealing with those people over there---just thought you ought to know brother.

I appreciate all of the input on my question concerning these cams from all of the rest of you. I am completely aware that cams can, and will vary in size dpending on the application, components used, and the desires/goals of the person having the engines built. As pretty much of the rest of you have explained in your posts, these cams were a laughing joke to expect a cam that size to work properly in a marine engine destined to make peak power at 5700-5800rpm. I ultimately was just trying to prove a point and needed some of your help. Don't fret, I will NOT be using these cams in my 565's. They are for sale for $85 each with Cam Doctor spec sheets for each cam if anyone is interested.

I am a victim of these people Jack Bailey or now known as "Budah" over at BoatFreaks and I am continuing to expose these guys as these are some of the pitfalls one needs to be aware of and this is just one example of the risk involved when dealing with people who smooth talk you, draw you in with deception and could care less and only want your money. BUYER BE WARE!!!

There is more concerning my experience with these people in the Bad Business column here on OSO.

Mark/KAAMA

Last edited by KAAMA; 02-14-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Sutphen30/Bill,----Yeah, I know what you mean---pretty funny eh? In fact it's down right hillarious---quite emabarrassing actually to even think a cam that small would make a 565cid marine engine produce 787hp @5700-5800rpm---right? But hey, I know what you mean by your quote that I have posted above. Thanks for your opinion---I totally agree!!!

Actually, you may be interested to know that these cams actually came from someone you know very well---or perhaps I should say; someone you don't know well enough! Maybe you DO know them and don't care. Anyway, because these cams have had the I.D. numbers ground off, I was was quite curious to know what the duration and lift numbers actually were. Therefore, I took them to a shop called Darren Mayer Performance Engineering in Stevensville, Michigan PH: 269-428-5070 and had them spec'd out on his Cam Doctor which gives a print-out of the all the cam specs of everything a person needs to know about a cam. The cost to spec both cams out was $25 per cam.

You and everyone else reading here should also know that the engines these cams came out of were my own 565cid marine engines that came back from being rebuilt by Jack Bailey of Charlotte, NC. also known as "Budah" on a website what I now refer to as "BoatFraud", but he can always change his screen name. These are the same cams that Jack Bailey told me made 787hp @5700-5800rpm on his dyno---of which I NEVER did recieve any dyno sheets. That's because I don't believe he actually dyno'd them, but only started them up and ran them on the floor or something just to appear that they were dyno'd. These are the cams that Jack Bailey told me were CUSTOM GROUND camshafts based on his extensive knowledge in marine engines having worked at Merc's Lake-X and as a higher management of sorts of the engine assembly at Hendrick's Motorsports. This is the same person who likes to use the "Crane 741" mantra over and over again for several, various engines of differing CID's, etc. He also told me these were a split or dual pattern camshaft----and yet these cams are far from what he speaks of! Sutphen30, this is the same man you are dealing with, and are a Moderator for over at a place I now refer to as "BoatFraud". Being as decent as I can say it Bill, you had better think twice about dealing with those people over there---just thought you ought to know brother.

I appreciate all of the input on my question concerning these cams from all of the rest of you. I am completely aware that cams can, and will vary in size dpending on the application, components used, and the desires/goals of the person having the engines built. As pretty much of the rest of you have explained in your posts, these cams were a laughing joke to expect a cam that size to work properly in a marine engine destined to make peak power at 5700-5800rpm. I ultimately was just trying to prove a point and needed some of your help. Don't fret, I will NOT be using these cams in my 565's. They are for sale for $85 each with Cam Doctor spec sheets for each cam if anyone is interested.

I am a victim of these people Jack Bailey or now known as "Budah" over at what I refer to as "BoatFraud" and I am continuing to expose these guys as these are some of the pitfalls one needs to be aware of and this is just one example of the risk involved when dealing with people who smooth talk you, draw you in with deception and could care less and only want your money. BUYER BE WARE!!!

There is more concerning my experience with these people in the Bad Business column here on OSO.

Mark/KAAMA

Touché, looks like it's somebody else's turn to ROFLMFAO.

Sorry about the pill joke Mark, but we all know you do choose cams that are too small, just thought you had totally lost your mind.

Quick Reply: Go Ahead--RIP MY HEART OUT on this 565cid cam...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.