BHOCKETT,
Any testing done this weekend?
Thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 496 Mag HO

What about the noise when removing the restrictors? Any (significant) change?? Does anyone has the partnumbers for replacing the gaskets when removing the restricors?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 496 Mag HO

We noticed a slight increase in sound on my friends boat. It appears to have picked up 150 rpm. The p/n is 27-862356. $4.73.
You probably won't need them if your careful though.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Registered

When I did mine, the old gaskets came right off without sticking at all. They seem to be made of a graphite type material They were in new like condition, and I just reused them. I didn't notice any change in noise from the motor, and I picked up approx 150rpm. No dramatic increase in speed as others have noted, maybe 1 mph. Don't look for dramatic changes, but it is so easy to do, why not?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Registered

No testing this last weekend as the weather sucked.
The good news is I did get the re-programmed PCM installed and the new low temp thermostat along with some water wetter to improve the transfer of heat.
I also replaced the seals between the heat exchanger and the water manifold, these leaked during the winter months but never during the summer and I heard this is common.
By the way when I measured the opening on those performance crushers (turbulators) they were only 2" not 2 1/4". I don't know if other years are bigger but, "come on!!!" I think a VW has bigger exhaust.
Started it up on the hose at home after installing the PCM and it did seem to be leaner at idle, hope there is less soot under the swim platform after a day out.
The only time out with the restrictors removed it did seem a bit louder and I was not the only one who noticed but again nothing big.
Can't what to try the mod's, may have to take it to the water during the week.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Okay any testing news or new insight etc....?
Old 05-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BHOCKETT
No testing this last weekend as the weather sucked.
The good news is I did get the re-programmed PCM installed and the new low temp thermostat along with some water wetter to improve the transfer of heat.
I also replaced the seals between the heat exchanger and the water manifold, these leaked during the winter months but never during the summer and I heard this is common.
By the way when I measured the opening on those performance crushers (turbulators) they were only 2" not 2 1/4". I don't know if other years are bigger but, "come on!!!" I think a VW has bigger exhaust.
Started it up on the hose at home after installing the PCM and it did seem to be leaner at idle, hope there is less soot under the swim platform after a day out.
The only time out with the restrictors removed it did seem a bit louder and I was not the only one who noticed but again nothing big.
Can't what to try the mod's, may have to take it to the water during the week.
Just wondering did you get your test drive in??? How was it running??? Do you think the PCM reprogramming helped??? How about carbon build up on the back of the boat??? Last but not least what did Dustin charge for the reprogramming??? I know, alot of questions but I'm sure theres alot of people out there wondering the samething, thanks Jim.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BHOCKETT
How's the soot situation, I'm thinking about the reporgram just to get rid of this problem.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by saubouin
How's the soot situation, I'm thinking about the reporgram just to get rid of this problem.
what octane are you using?
since i started running nothing but 87 i don't have that problem anymore.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mwdill
what octane are you using?
since i started running nothing but 87 i don't have that problem anymore.
I get soot with 91 or 87 octane, doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: 496 Mag HO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.