SSM#3 install on my Donzi Z-33 Help? >

SSM#3 install on my Donzi Z-33 Help?

Notices

SSM#3 install on my Donzi Z-33 Help?

Old 02-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSM#3 install on my Donzi Z-33 Help?

Hello everyone and how are you... I have a 1987 Donzi Z-33 project boat. Beleive it or not... this thing came from the factory with twin alpha drives coupled to two 454 mags!!!

Ya... those are coming out. Anyway.. I ran across some SSM3A surface drives and am wondering if they will work for my application.

I measured the center drive hole in the current alpha transom... it is 14" from the hole to the bottom of the boat. The drives that I am looking at are 24" from the drive shaft to the center of the bullet (nose cone).

Here is my problem... Speedmaster says that you should install these drives no further then 6" below the bottom of the boat. As it stands now... if I install the drives in the same location as the alpha drive hole... then the nose cone will be 10" below the bottom of my boat.

Questions:

- is this a problem? Have you guys run into this before??
- When I install the new SSM transoms will I be able to raise them up 4" higher then my alpha's are now? That way the hole would be 4" higher... making the drive 6" below the bottom of my boat??

Treat my like a 2 year old on this one... I am used to straight Bravo type of set ups... never messed around with TRS or SSM set ups...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Q
Old 02-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Re: SSM#3 install on my Donzi Z-33 Help?

first you need to ask yourself , do you have room for a transmission. you are going to have to move the engines forward .
Old 02-11-2005, 05:40 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Plug the existing holes and re-cut to correct "X" for the #3A'S, or trade the #3A'S for a pair of #5'S. The #5'S are 4-6" shorter than the #3A'S and can be spaced down as much as 3" in 1" increments
Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by open72
first you need to ask yourself , do you have room for a transmission. you are going to have to move the engines forward .
Great question.. I checked into it and there is pleanty of room in the engine compartment. In 87 TRS drives were an option for this boat so there is lots of room.

If I plug the alpha holes and recut for the proper X dimension (4" higher then current X dimension)... then the drive shaft will enter the boat 4" higher then stock right? Just wondering if I would need to raise the engines 4" to accomodate for the raised X dimension?

Last edited by TeamPSI; 02-11-2005 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2005, 06:14 PM

I have a set of V's with xtension boxes and a set of 17.5 X 29's 3 blade cleavers , transom assy. with trim cylnders. have not put on my boat yet. will sell every thing for 28,000.

Just went thru all this, replacing TRS's with V's. Thought about 3A's until I got to the part about raising engines, pluging transoms, changing mounts. with ext. boxes you run drive shafts, not as important to align engine than with plug in trany's. Did a pile of research on this swap . you can call me becase i called everyone across the country about the swap. mobil 850 251 3760 Kevin
Old 02-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamPSI
Great question.. I checked into it and there is pleanty of room in the engine compartment. In 87 TRS drives were an option for this boat so there is lots of room.

If I plug the alpha holes and recut for the proper X dimension (4" higher then current X dimension)... then the drive shaft will enter the boat 4" higher then stock right? Just wondering if I would need to raise the engines 4" to accomodate for the raised X dimension?

you will have to raise the motors .that's a very big job. this has taken a while and still not finished. know how to do glass work?
Attached Thumbnails SSM#3 install on my Donzi Z-33 Help?-rx70009.jpg  

Last edited by open87; 02-11-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM

I did mean you could call me if you need info about the swap. I got alot of conflicting Info about X diminsions , the way the boat would handle , how fast the boat should go , how i was wasting my time and money ect.................
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 PM

I also have TRS's avail. too If you know anyone interested
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Registered

kev ,did you think about the konrad ? or were you into it before they hit the market ?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:35 PM

Thought alot about them. from a machinist point of veiw, they are bad ass. and look stronger than V's and maybe VI's (2500 lbs before the housing distorted) They just dont look as cool as speedmasters, and there is the issue of reselling the boat . 88' Cig Top Gun

Quick Reply: SSM#3 install on my Donzi Z-33 Help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.