Spring Maint - Outdrive Removal >

Spring Maint - Outdrive Removal

Notices

Spring Maint - Outdrive Removal

Old 02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
rkeith01

Default Spring Maint - Outdrive Removal

Hello-
Wanting to get some tips on how to remove an outdrive for spring maintance, I've never done this before. Been searching through board here it seems pretty simple and straight foward.

from a previous poster (sorry I forget who it was):
If you want to do it right pull the drive right off.It is a lot easier with two people.Take the trim cylinders off undo the six nuts on the outdrive,make sure you unhook the speedo line and pull the drive off.You wiil lose some gear lube when you pull the drive but there is a valve in the line from the remote reservoir that will cut the oil supply off,pull the drive and inspect the u joints the gimbal is up in the transom.....

So is it that simple? Just wondering why the shops are getting $200+ around here???

Anything that I need to be aware of? Read some stuff on Alpha removals and it mentions placing it in gear before removal is this necessary for a bravo 1?

What about the seals/orings should they be replaced too? And is all I need the Merc drive installation kit, p/n 16755Q1?

Thanks in advance for any help here....

Old 02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Spring Maint - Outdrive Removal

Wouldn't think that the $200 is just for the actual R&R itself. Probably includes checking alignment, greasing coupler and bearing. Just my guess.
Very little lube will come out if you pull it away at once. As mentioned before, unhook the speedo 1st while you trim the drive up. (Just turn and lift) Then drive back down level. Remove both front & rear trim cyl nuts. Then 6 drive nuts. after the 6 one is off, the drive should want to separate. Just watch the linkage while pulling apart. Usually have to lift the top locking lever to disengage the shift cable. (will be self explanatory when you do it). SHifter does not have to be in gear like an Alpha. It will shift by itself when you pull the drive off. Then pull straight out and watch the drive shaft so you don't smack your hand when it comes out.

Yep, the install kit is all you need. It's cheap. In addition to the 2 different greases. Spline and gimble/u-joint grease.

Grease/check U-joint, gimble bearing, coupler spline condition, check engine alignment, reinstall drive, grease coupler check/change drive oil level. Go boating.

Besure you get the shift cable located back into the shift lnkage. It will self lock once you push the drive back on fully.

Best to pickup a service manual. And have a buddy to help hold the drive. They get heavy holding while trying to get the driveshaft(like a limp peter ) back in, along with the shift cable.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-15-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning on doing your own service do your self a favor and buy a manual. Always a good reference even with all the good help you will get here.

Also make or buy a drive stand to pull and install the drive. It is much easier and safer on the back.

When I install mine back on I always pull the shifter mechanism loose on the inside of engine compartment. This allows the cable to move when drive is reinstalled. I kinked a cable end once putting the drive back on and had to replace the shift cable later that goes through the transom. Of course it broke when nI was in the middle of the lake.

I also bought my own alignment tool and I really reccomend that alignment is checked. Couplers are $$$.

I do not post much as you can see but welcome to the board.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Use a jack if you can,bravo's are almost 150lbs!I borrowed a alignment tool and made a copy of it at work,if your going to do your own work you might as well go out and buy one,i'm sure you'll still be money ahead after one time!Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Spring Maint - Outdrive Removal-boat-tests-002.jpg  
Old 02-25-2005, 10:12 AM
rkeith01

I appreciate all the help here, Thank you!!

One more question:
If I remove the out drive will it have an effect on my winterization? Wanting to start to work on it, but it is still somewhat cold here at night sometimes it will go to below freezing and the boat is sitting outside...

Thanks again for all the help!!

Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No effect at all.