Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cheap upgrades - Exhaust mainifold swap? >

Cheap upgrades - Exhaust mainifold swap?

Notices

Cheap upgrades - Exhaust mainifold swap?

Old 02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cheap upgrades - Exhaust mainifold swap?

Exhaust will not give you any more speed! So many have spent good money on exhast only to get nothing, except different sound. What boat do you have? Give some details, there may be better places to spend your money.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:15 PM
rkeith01

Here's what I've got:

'99 Baja 252 bone stock 454 Mag.

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Unless you are only looking for a deeper rumble sound, and want to dress up your engines in appearance then I would have to agree that there won't be much bennefit in performance from switching from a stock Merc cast iron exhaust system to an aftermarket exhaust system on a stock engine. However, if you plan on upgrading your engine(s) either now or in the future then you WILL benefit from an aftermarket exhaust. The more mods you do to the engine, the more an aftermarket exhaust system is going to bennefit you in performance. If this weren't true then many of the boats and their engines you see these days would NOT have a better breathing exhaust system than the stock Merc cast iron exhaust manifold.

I used to hear a term long ago, and it went something like this; "There's free horsepower in the exhaust." I don;t think it is exactly free when it comes to marine exhaust systems, but there is power to be made from the exhaust for sure.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:09 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the exhaust cause i am rebuilding my engine and don't want the problem i had w/ the stock manifold. But since I did the exhaust, I might as well upgrade the engine components, equating in more HP, needing the better exhaust. Its one big happy circle.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Registered

Check with one of the prop sponsers here and see if they think some MPH can be gained with a diff. prop, or modifying the one you have.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:56 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Check with one of the prop sponsers here and see if they think some MPH can be gained with a diff. prop, or modifying the one you have.
Yea... what he said.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Exhaust will not give you any more speed! So many have spent good money on exhast only to get nothing, except different sound. What boat do you have? Give some details, there may be better places to spend your money.

I have to respecfully disagree. With my old STOCK SBC in my formula I gained a 2mph. This was going from stock thru hub merc manifolds to thru-hull Stainless Marine. A good alternative is to go with imco risers with your stock Merc manifolds.... GLM also makes VERY good replacement maniflolds for the merc ones. I belive they are about 1/2 the cost of Mercs......

BH
Old 02-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
I have to respecfully disagree. With my old STOCK SBC in my formula I gained a 2mph. This was going from stock thru hub merc manifolds to thru-hull Stainless Marine. A good alternative is to go with imco risers with your stock Merc manifolds.... GLM also makes VERY good replacement maniflolds for the merc ones. I belive they are about 1/2 the cost of Mercs......

BH
Going from thru-hub to thru-hull is where you picked up 2 mph, not the manifold change itself. I would not waste the money on just an exhaust upgrade, unless you'll be making other mods.