TCI,  ATI, Fluidampr........... >

TCI, ATI, Fluidampr...........

Notices

TCI, ATI, Fluidampr...........

Old 11-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: TCI, ATI, Fluidampr...........

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
strip, don't you have 525efis with a whipple?
nope http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...0&goto=newpost

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:54 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have FD on my 598 NA EFI engines. They have two seasons on them. They are both rusted and I have lost a front main seal on one of them. I am going to have both replaced this winter with ATI with 6 pulley mounting holes for possible future blower upgrade. Joe Murray
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by f311fr1
I have FD on my 598 NA EFI engines. They have two seasons on them. They are both rusted and I have lost a front main seal on one of them. I am going to have both replaced this winter with ATI with 6 pulley mounting holes for possible future blower upgrade. Joe Murray
So your thinking about getting blown

Old 11-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f311fr1
Joe I am sorry for the problems you are having with your Fluidampr’s. With regard to the corrosion, If you got some of the Black Oxide dampers made by the previous management then I can appreciate that you might be having corrosion problem. As a US Navy Veteran I can know how difficult it is to keep ahead of corrosion problems when you are around salt water. Currently Aluminum Fluidampr’s are black anodized and steel Fluidampr’s use Black Zinc Chromate which is more rust resistant than Black Oxide.

Your other complaint I am having a little more trouble understanding. Fluidampr’s do not have seals they are laser welded, therefore I have concluded that you must be talking about the main seal of the engine. I’ve never heard of the complaint that a damper knocked out the front main seal on an engine and I don’t know why a damper would cause it.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kirkc
I have used the fluiddampr for years without any problem at all. Never heard of any problems from friends that also use them.
Kirkc- Thanks, for your use of the Fluidampr
Old 11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Does that go for the same with a ATI.

Also how many miles,hours,time ya recomend [think] we should do this.

I have a Chrome Fluid D on my street/race car with about 40k on it.

Rob

Rob-
Q. Does that go for the same with a ATI.
A. I prefer not to comment on ATI

Q. Also how many miles, hours, time ya recomend [think] we should do this.

Q. I have a Chrome Fluid D on my street/race car with about 40k on it.

Q. But how do you tell when one goes bad?

A. These are related questions and they are not easy to answer without giving you a little background on the history of viscous dampers. We invented (One of our parent companies Houdaille) the viscous torsional harmonic vibration dampener for crankshaft applications in 1948. No one has built more viscous dampers than we have, and no one knows more about how to measure and analyze crankshaft torsional vibrations than our engineering dept. We know that heavy duty diesel engines like the Detroit 60 Series make a damper work much harder than drag racing or street applications. We have supplied just short of one million viscous dampers to Detroit Diesel for the Series 60 diesel engine and it “Must last for a million miles” because the engine is guaranteed by Detroit Diesel for a million miles. We have never seen a failed viscous damper from a Series 60 Engine.

The heavy duty diesel dampers like the ones for the Detroit are marketed under the VibratechTVD brand and the high performance dampers are marketed by Fluidampr. Both VibratechTVD and Fluidampr are made in Springville NY, USA. All of our viscous are designed by the same team of engineers and dyno tested by the same team of engineering technicians. The Fluidampr’s are built to a much higher structural standard than the heavy duty dampers because they are SFI certified safe too 12,500 rpm.

Given all of the above I can confidently say that the fluid will never fail in a performance street or a performance racing application.
Torsional vibration in a performance boat is a different matter. Many times the engines are the same. The thing is that the propellers drivelines/shafts and gear boxes all have their own torsional resonant frequency’s which combine with the engine’s own harmonics. The engine damper is usually the only component in the system to soak up all of that destructive energy, before it causes mechanical breakage/excessive wear in your propulsion system. One thing I can absolutely guarantee is that when it comes to soaking up vibrations from a combination of factors nothing works better that a Fluidampr. Still because of this extreme use we must recommend that the Fluidampr be replaced at engine over haul times.

I should also point out that to get the best performance from a Fluidampr it must be properly installed. It must be a true press fit (and you can not use a hammer) you must have a harmonic damper installation tool, and it is best to use assemble lube. Sorry I know this is old hat to you but for other people reading the forum.

Keith Eickart, an experienced off shore boat engine builder uses nothing but Fluidampr. There are over 200,000 Fluidampr’s shipped in 20 years and we have never seen a Fluidampr come back that the fluid failed.

Another good thing to know is that over the last few years we have tightened all of the internal machining tolerances by more than 90%. So when you buy a Fluidampr today you are buying the equivalent of a blueprinted engine. We also have a lot of info on our websites at www.fluidampr.com and www.vibratechtvd.com.

I am sorry that the Work Boat Show was cancelled later this month. I would have liked to have one of our people talk to you while we were there. We will be at the PRI show in Orlando, FL December 1, 2, 3 and our sales professionals would be glad to discus offshore applications there.

Best regards,
Don
Old 11-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Don thanks for the reply. I didn't know the background on FD. thats interesting

Is there any air in them or is it solid fluid?

Is the Fluid in them thick? I am guessing it a gell. Does it change when its cold ?

The ATI I guess has the rubber stuff in there to absorb the vibs.

The TCI rattler just doesn't seem like a good designed to me with that inner thing rattling around inside of it.imo

Don what you position with Vibratech?

Thanks again sorry for all the QA. just want to learn

Rob

Old 11-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by diverdon
I’ve never heard of the complaint that a damper knocked out the front main seal on an engine and I don’t know why a damper would cause it.
Not that I have any experience with fluid damper but your statement was a little confusing considering the front seal runs on the damper, I would think runout, poor materials or hardness or too rough micro finish could cause problems.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by formula31
Not that I have any experience with fluid damper but your statement was a little confusing considering the front seal runs on the damper, I would think runout, poor materials or hardness or too rough micro finish could cause problems.
Could be the rust?

Old 11-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
But how do you tell when one goes bad?
Rob,
They test them. Roush Industries does this and I am sure the other teams can do testing. Each has a cycle time list for every part of the engine. Each part gets checked after a race and if okay it is run until its cycle life is up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.