FloScan Twinscan installation >

FloScan Twinscan installation

Notices

FloScan Twinscan installation

Old 03-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: FloScan Twinscan installation

To me another advantage is you dont need to keep a full tank all the time ...you looking at 1200 lbs and it will make a difference in economy and top end ....and if you just running across the lake to eat or whatever it would be nice to know you have enough fuel ...
Old 03-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or...........No fat chicks allowed on the boat.
Originally Posted by offthefront
To me another advantage is you dont need to keep a full tank all the time ...you looking at 1200 lbs and it will make a difference in economy and top end ....and if you just running across the lake to eat or whatever it would be nice to know you have enough fuel ...
Old 03-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I had so much faith in my system, I knew from experience with it how much fuel it took to get somewhere, and would use that to my advantage. I knew it took 25 gals (+or- a gallon) round trip to get to our favorite beach hang out from the Marina at an efficient cruise. If my floscan was tellin' me I had 30 usable gallons left, I could skip the gas dock and go, no guessing. I knew from experience it took 65 gals cruise, 78- 80 gals max. with some speedplay or rough water to work, to go down to Henderson Harbor on Lake Ontario from Alex Bay. If I had filled up the morning before ( I had 110 gals usable limit set for myself, though I went to 112 burn once and still hadn't run out, based upon a 125 "rated" tank probably 116/117 "usable" max) and had been to the above beach on Saturday...I could say on Sunday morning "were going to Henderson" with no gas dock delays at the start and knowing I didn't have to get fuel down there either to get home!

I hate gas docks, and only want to get on one when necessary, and have the advantage of taking on the most fuel for the bother. By using the most available fuel on board whenever possible first, stops at the gas dock are kept to a minimum, and I often maximize performance by running no heavier than necessary (see above). Remember I keep my boat in the water. You trailer guys don't have some of the same concerns in the same way.

All the other advantages are true also...mainly maximixing economy when desired. Routinely taking 125-150 mile day trips, maximizing economy...even 20% Troutly, IS a big deal. Especially on Lake Ontario where fuel pumps are not common, and other boats for a tow in out of fuel are even more rare!

I had mentioned the electronic means in other posts, as very accurate (the most) fuel burn info is available to tap in these smartcraft ECM's. The B&G network display is a similar unit to the Merc, plug and play, and less expensive. You still have to wire it back to the ECM's though, so you don't get out of a wire routing installation.
I don't know what experience you have with any of these systems, but they all require wiring to the engine compartment as far as I know if not originally equipped at the dash.
There is no "wiring mumbo jumbo" anymore with one vs. the other....electronic (smartcraft/ B&G ECM repeater display) or mechanical (FloScan).

All the other sh*t the various Smartcraft style electronic displays show you is of VERY limited value other than fuel consumption. I have guages already for most of those factors, and if one engine throws a code, what the hell good is it gonna do me out on the Lake to know which one? Not only that, but it has often been seen for an engine to be poorly and not throwing/setting a code.

Plus, none of the electronic smartcraft repeaters will show both engine's fuel burn side by side in one display...you either need two displays, or have to page around while underway to compare side to side...most important in conjuction with tachs for synchronization under way and diagnostics under load.

Not to mention trditional guages (needles) are intuitively digested by the brain at a glance...especially when comparing two. The same can't be said for digitized numbers, especially if there not side by side, or one right on top of another.

Good Morning!

Last edited by Rippem; 03-06-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Registered

Uh oh, I think it's all coming together now.....2005 353, HP600's, SC5000, Lazer Graphics, (no bimini) sitting on a lift at a 3 bedroom condo in LOTO.

Originally Posted by Troutly
I like the look of all those analog gauges, but if you go to Mercury's webpage and check out SmartCraft, you will see it is quite a system and why it is superior to those analog gauges as far as monitoring engine functions. They even have a demo of it.

It can monitor all engine functions, steering angle, engine sync, sea water temp, GPS speed, GPS location, fuel tank, fuel consumption, tell you when service is due, blaa blaa blaa.

The SC5000 looks kinda like a GPS chart plotter unit and is a windows driven monitor that has multiple screens you can select.

The SC1000 is a bit simpler system (tach and speedo look like analog gauges (even though they are digital) with a digital screen at base). These systems are plug and play so you also loose all that wiring mumbo jumbo behind the helm.

The SC5000 is standard on the HP600's from Formula. The HP525's get the SC1000 from Formula, although I suppose you could pony up the extra bucks and get the SC5000 as this works with the 525's as well.

I'm not real interested in the SC1000 system. But, depending on the cost of the SC5000 I might consider it for the next boat even though I do like all those analog gauges.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you're right somebody other than you and I K. has been doing some homework on guage options!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

I bet he ends up with those "Gauges" very soon!!!
Originally Posted by Rippem
I think you're right somebody other than you and I K. has been doing some homework on guage options!