Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
anyone running big brodie heads? >

anyone running big brodie heads?

Notices

anyone running big brodie heads?

Old 03-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone running big brodie heads?

Originally Posted by Ted
Hello 42MTI
Have a look at the flow figures on the Brodix website. It appears that the BB Big Port 2 xtra's have a higher flow than the 3 series.
What flow figures did you get with your new cnc BB3's?
I agree with you on the Brodix products, many years and hours with the various 2 series I have owned.
Ted
Maybe I'm overlooking something but I think the 3Xtra cnc flows better than all the 2 series. 419 and 290 at .7 lift I think ijt was. Ihope this is right because I definately wanted which ever was the best I and I just sold my old 2 x's.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Ted
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Maybe I'm overlooking something but I think the 3Xtra cnc flows better than all the 2 series. 419 and 290 at .7 lift I think ijt was. Ihope this is right because I definately wanted which ever was the best I and I just sold my old 2 x's.
Those are good flow figures 42MTI
If you look athe brodix website you can see the figures from the CNC porting they offer from Brodix.
Your old 2x's are what I have run since 1995 or so and I replaced them with the newest 2 series, the 2xtra not a 2x last season, ported by hand by a shop in my area with very good results.
You will make power with those dont worry. I just cant figure out where the 2 extra's and the new 3 stack up in the Brodix lineup, there is some data that contradicts as to which flows more.
I acheived about 15% better with my head porter than the factory full CNC set which I had access to make the comparison.
Somewhere approaching 430 or 435 on the best intake port and about 280 or 290 something on the exhaust, just cant recall as it was done last year.
All good products though, you are way ahead of your old 2x's in any case.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
You should pick up quite a bit from your old heads. The new heads have 24deg instead of 26deg and also have the valve rolled in 2deg to help unshroud it. I would say this is the best head Brodix currently offers before the spreadports.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NOBODY
You should pick up quite a bit from your old heads. The new heads have 24deg instead of 26deg and also have the valve rolled in 2deg to help unshroud it. I would say this is the best head Brodix currently offers before the spreadports.
I hope your right because this was also my interpretation. After looking at their web site I couldn't find any conventional heads that flowed better directly from the factory. As stated earlier The motors should be on the dyno out the door in 2 weeks with these heads as well as new quadrotors.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:16 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

42, did you change pistons to match the new valve angle?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Registered

I am having an engine shop do everything. This is way to big and expensive of a project for me to tackel. We didn't change piston but did change heads, cams, and superchargers.My other heads had been milled so that should help with compession and the shop has just been waiting on the heads and cams to check piston to valve clearance. The cams should be there today or tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I thought I read the valve relief angle in the piston needed to be changed to run the 3 xtra head. I could be wrong, I'm sure the machine shop will check it. I hope you are going to post some dyno numbers, I'm anxious to see what those heads will do.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Registered

Me TOOOOOO. I will let everyone know how they come out.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Registered

I would guess you run dish pistons on that much CI, so there shouldn't be much of an eyebrow at all. I'm sure if there's a VtoP clearance problem your engine builder will cut your pistons as needed.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Shouldn't be a problem it is a very reputable builder. Louis Boyd out of Norman, Ok. Build alot of high end marine stuff in addition to Big Thunder race engines.