How long will my Alpha last?!?!!!? 450HP >

How long will my Alpha last?!?!!!? 450HP

Notices

How long will my Alpha last?!?!!!? 450HP

Old 03-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How long will my Alpha last?!?!!!? 450HP

Justin, 70 mph in a hull like that you may get into "chine walk" where the boat walks from side to side as a chine catches the water slows you down a little and then whips over to the other side. it can build to an out of control position quickly. Your boat has cable steering which is less precise than external hydraulic steering.

Safety is paramount in high speed boating, it's the fools taking risks who you read about in the papers.

Your hull with a higher center of gravity may be prone to Chine Walk.

Wannabe
Old 03-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am suggesting at least a single ram hydraulic steering system. Your hull is probably not designed for 450 HP and could get to be a handful at some point. Your drive could be an issue with that kind of power and depending on how hard you run it. Steering will give you more control, which will keep it safer for you and your passengers. I haven't heard of beefier gears being available for the Alpha, but they may exist.

Craig
Old 03-04-2005, 11:11 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll puke the drive in about 10 minutes.

i had an alpha behind a 330hp 454 and it was a concern everytime i took the boat out.

if you beat on a bravo with 450hp you could break it. and alpha and 450hp is a problem waiting to happen.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Registered

Puder is right, but there are a lot of success stories about running pretty good power through Alpha's with no trouble. We ran our 20' Baja with a high compression 358 at 6200 RPM with occasional 6600 RPM NOS blasts and never had a problem. On the NOS we were pushing every bit of 600 HP. Travis is another. He hammers on his boat with a 12:1 compression 383 with no problems. Back in the day when Alphas were behind 330's there were a lot of problems. The biggest was wave plowing on the great lakes or ocean.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it!!!.

Tommorow is promised to no-one!! You may never get another boat.................

and/or

When your old and gray and slobbering all over your lap in the "home" as you and the other boys are tellin' lies, all you'll have to look back on is: "no, my boat was slow as @#*#!!, but it never broke"......

PS,
I took the original motor out of my 64 vette, and dropped one in that was alot more powerful so I could have fun (65,000 miles so far) and not damage the original motor. That way I can just drop it back in if (god forbid) I'm ever dumb enouph to sell it. You're kinda thinkin' along the same lines, so I say don't hold back.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My advice would be to save all the $$$$$$$$ you are thinking about spending on this boat and save it for your next boat. Enjoy the boat for what it was designed to be. You will never recoup the $$$$$ you are talking about spending on it and for your boat, and it most likely hurt the resale value.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:51 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Don't Let The Drive Know The Horse Power Your Going To Put Thru It, Or It Will Break All By It's Self Before You Try It. Good Luck. Rb
Old 03-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by WILDTHING TAZ
Don't Let The Drive Know The Horse Power Your Going To Put Thru It, Or It Will Break All By It's Self Before You Try It. Good Luck. Rb
Dats funny
Old 03-05-2005, 02:16 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know converting to a bravo from an alpha is dirt easy once the engine comes out.

drill 2 extra holes in teh transom stuff the transom assemblie in place crank down a acople of bolts and drop your engien back in.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Griff
My advice would be to save all the $$$$$$$$ you are thinking about spending on this boat and save it for your next boat. Enjoy the boat for what it was designed to be. You will never recoup the $$$$$ you are talking about spending on it and for your boat, and it most likely hurt the resale value.
Bummer, do you realize how much you sound like a Dad?
The boat was "designed" to make money for the guys who built it, nothing else!! It's not thiers, or anyone elses, it's his.

I gotta go see my therapist now..................

Quick Reply: How long will my Alpha last?!?!!!? 450HP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.