Trailer Tires? >

Trailer Tires?

Notices

Trailer Tires?

Old 03-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Tires?

I have 4 towmasters (I think Carllile made them) on my trailer and they are crap. They are about to be replaced with Goodyear Marathon's. When I *****ed at trailer manufacture (it is 1 year old) he told me they have had so may issues with towmasters they have stopped selling them on his trailers. My 2 cents...go Goodyear.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I used to have Carlisle(radials)...They are friggin Junk! I had 2 blow outs in one season due to side wall failures. The last one took out my fender. After that I replaced all six with Titan ST's.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

I have always used ST's, trailer tires have different sidewalls, stronger.
Yet on my latest 1800 pound trailer I am running 16" radials, my experience with them so far has been good. No blow outs.
As long as LOAD RATINGS are what they are called for, I think it is a personal preference.
Bryan
Old 03-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Registered

GoodYear Marathons. I put two sets on last summer and they are working well.
For some reason they didn't seem to help with my fuel efficiency on my boat, Ha!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I understand it is you use bias ply for local towing and radials for long distance.
On long runs the bias ply tires really heat up and can blow out.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

mneal - Were your Towmaster radials?

I replaced all my Carlisles with bias ply Towmasters last year after 5 of 6 blew out the sidewalls in a 2 year period. The bad run of Carlisles were made by Goodyear. Carlisle was going to give me a number at Goodyear if I had any damage.

I went with bias ply because I think there would be less chance of damage from them blowing out than a belt of steal flapping around.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Registered

rbtnt, my towmasters were/are bias. They came with the trailer and are low profile 14 inche diamter. I like that they keep the trailer slightly lower but that is all I like. The place that built the trailer now admits they got snowed by the rep and are getting me Goodyears for cost.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My triple Extreme trailer came with Carlisle tires, two of them grenaded and tore both fenders up, knocked out the tail lights and nicked the boat. Not to mention dangerous down time on interstate. Luckily, I caught the third before it blew and replaced all them with Towmasters. No problems since changing brands. All the Carlisles had less than 2,000 miles on them, what a shame.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Harper220
My triple Extreme trailer came with Carlisle tires, two of them grenaded and tore both fenders up, knocked out the tail lights and nicked the boat. Not to mention dangerous down time on interstate. Luckily, I caught the third before it blew and replaced all them with Towmasters. No problems since changing brands. All the Carlisles had less than 2,000 miles on them, what a shame.
I spoke with the Carlisles rep and he said there was a period were they had problems with Carlisle radials but he said thats fixed now but they never had any problems with the Bias Ply line of Carlisle .
what do you guys think?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Registered

No Carlisle radials for me even if they've say that the problem has been fixed. I've also had trouble with two Goodyear Marathons separating on the same trip and leaving the entire tread in the road after it trashed a fender. For a while, there was a rash or problems with the Goodyears as well. In some cases, Goodyear built many of Carlisle's radial trailer tires. Check out some of the RV forums on the 'net for more trailer tire info.

I'm now trying a set of Denman Radial Express ST 225/75R15 load range E. Denman are the folks that make the Ground Hawg tire as well as a number of other industrial and military speciality tires. These 15" ST tires are 10 ply, so you can pump 'em up to 80 psi, and they look pretty good.

Last edited by ForrestC; 03-09-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.