Cable Assist Hydraulic Steering Vs Full Hydraulic

Notices

Cable Assist Hydraulic Steering Vs Full Hydraulic

Old 03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cable Assist Hydraulic Steering Vs Full Hydraulic

If I added external add-on rams can I still at some point change my helm and use the same rams? Are these systems upgradable? I added on the steering this winter but have not used it at all. My boat never chine walked or had any problems what so ever except when I tried to run a Hydromotive prop that had so much stern lift that the boat felt like it had absolutely no steering what so ever above 70mph. The only reason I added the system is because I can run 75 or so and I wanted to be safe, fearing that the internal ram could passibly fail at that speed and cause the boat to go out of control. I know I have solved the problem with the add on steering, 75 is not 105 so it should suffice for what I need but after reading this thread if I cant steer it at idle or my wife cant steer it at idle that would pose a definant problem.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you can upgrade later...
Old 03-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My 26" scarab has the normal cable / Hydraulic steering, with a single external ram. Is it normal that both inter and outer rams are hooked up. Also at idle it can be a pain to steer does that mean that the pump pulley is to small??
Old 03-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
but after reading this thread if I cant steer it at idle or my wife cant steer it at idle that would pose a definant problem.

Mine was only noticebly harder if I thought about it, otherwise it was not an issue. The wife would load the boat on the trailer, she never said anything. My only issue would be trying to turn it to fast at idle. Even then it was not a 2 handed operation. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Install the add-on now, then upgrade to the full at a later date if you decide you want it. Hardest part is drilling the holes in the transom.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Hardest part is drilling the holes in the transom.
Scariest part for sure.......... It just didn't seem normal to break out the drill and that huge bit and go to town on the back of my boat!!! I used a rotating laser to make sure I was lined up perfect from side to side. My neighbor thought I was crazy but it worked perfect.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You did level the boat 1st, right?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
You did level the boat 1st, right?
Thats funny, I dont care who you are, thats funny........
Old 03-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really don't know how they do the variable assist stuff. It's probably some type of ecu/speed/variable-port setup. Changing the pump rpm only varies the "available" volume of oil. The pump is always circulating oil, even when the wheel is not being turned. This flow rate determines the rate at which you can turn the wheel, hopefully at least as fast as you would like to turn it!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered

Nauti-Boy
I understand that the stock cable system with no hydraulic external cylinders has slop in it from side to side. Now, what if you had the "add on" system. The cable actuated hydraulic system. There should be no play in the drive because the hydrualic cylinders has it locked in place. So, we are getting back to my original question. Is the drive any more solid with the full system than it is the full hydraulic system? What makes the full system safer? Is the strain on the cable only due from steering wheel input or is the strain on the cable due to outside forces acting on the drive, which is the primary reason to change to external hydraulic cylinders in the first place.

It appears to me that the primary difference between the 1/2 system with the cable and the full system with the hydraulic helm is the method by which drive input is recieved by the shuttle valve. Is this correct? If the cable is in good condition, why would it be unsafe? I also understand there may be some inherent slop in the cable helm, resulting in some wheel play before the actual input is realized by the hydraulics.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked that question to the sales rep at the Miami boat show. His reply was that by putting the external rams on, you get the safety factor. By going to the full hydraulic helm, you get the ease of steering. Again that is just sales rep talk.

Quick Reply: Cable Assist Hydraulic Steering Vs Full Hydraulic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.