XR VS IMCO, and the answer is

Notices

XR VS IMCO, and the answer is

Old 03-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: XR VS IMCO, and the answer is

Guys,
I am talking about using the Imco case only. For my purposes, I would be switching my XR gears and shafts into the Imco housing.
I too have heard questionable references regarding Imco customer service, but I've never bought anything from them.
If you look around, just about all the aftermarket guys have their own proprietary internals, but they are all using the Imco case.
Is anybody else out there besides Imco and Mercury casting LWP nosed cone type gearcases? I haven't seen any.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 03-07-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Steve,

Maxx has their own LOWER casting, as well as a brand new BILLET upper housing. Saw them both at the show.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Steve, I know this may not answer the question that you are seeking, but thought I would add this anyway.

I bought the IMCO -2" shorter lower gear cases without internals. Eventually, I will be switching my XR internals from the stock Merc gear cases to the IMCO gear cases. However, when I do this I will be upgrading with some of MAX Machine Worx drive parts such as their verticle shaft and propshaft. I will be testing the boat with the stock Merc (standard length) gearcases this spring as the boat is now once the engines are installed, then I will make the switch using the IMCO -2 shorties and see what kind of gains if any are achieved.

Mr. Gadgets/Dick is doing the mods for me. Dick also told me that he doesn't like using one of the vertical shaft bearings that comes already installed by IMCO in their lower gearcase. I guess he said has seen them fail or have had/seen some troubles with them...so he removes them and puts the bearings in that he knows to work well for him.

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-07-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Steve,

Maxx has their own LOWER casting, as well as a brand new BILLET upper housing. Saw them both at the show.
Yes they do but it is $6000.00 just for the lower. The Imco and the Merc are around $4000.00. If I do anything other than have someone go through my upper, it would be to send my case to Max and have them put there upgraded parts in it.

Last edited by VelocityMark; 03-07-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kaama,
Thanks for the plug!!

Badkachina,
There are several options open to you when your standard Bravo gives it up. Depending on how much power you are going to make and how you will drive it, my .02 is that if X gears (helical cut) dont break because of being over powered, they will last longer than XR gears. The XR's are softer and stronger, but they have a life expectancy of around 200/250 hrs. I have not seen a set with max time on them, just repeating what I have heard.
You can buy an XR drive or have one built. Gives you the option to change shafts, bearings, top caps, etc that will work a touch better than a stock one. Also setup is important. I measure everthing when I assemble one so I know when clearances are off or not.
When you put an XR/XZ drive on a Standard Transom assembly, you need to get a kit that contains a new gimble bearing and trim limit spacers. One option that can be excersized is to use the XZ Upper and use the small ujoint input shaft. Takes some home work, but will work. It has been said that the small ujoint input shaft is not a weak point.
When that time comes, that you need a new one, give me shout we can discuss some options.