Prochargers ??????????????? >

Prochargers ???????????????

Notices

Prochargers ???????????????

Old 03-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Prochargers ???????????????

Dont really know to much about them, are they hard on the engines, people say to run if a boat has prochargers.

Whats up with them

Take this boat for example
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-3657.html

Thanks
Wild
Old 03-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Prochargers ???????????????

I think it depends on who and how they were installed. There is a ton of them out there on boats that have not had a problem. Pro-charger sells them every day. As long as everything checks out you are getting a ton of extra performance for not much more money. they can be hard on the motor if inot configured correctly. The other side of the coin is that any time more performance is desired it is hard on the motor. Blown or NA.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

I am on my second Procharger, first one was on a 96 Mustang GT and I installed one on my Crownline last fall. I originally wanted the Whipple due to the fact that the boost comes in right off idle. But after hearing it was going to take 3 months to get one and a few negative stories about ECU reprogramming (not getting it right and sending it back and forth). I decided to go with the Procharger and am happy with my decision. Not to mention the Procharger cost about $1500 less than the Whipple.

The negatives about the Procharger are first: The fuel system, which compinsates for the added air flow by adding an FMU(fuel management unit) which just jacks up the fuel pressure under boost and forces the injectors to let in more fuel. This is a fairly crude method for maintaining proper fuel/air ratio and requires very careful tuning. I started by reading spark plugs and got it close, but over the winter I bought a LM1 meter to read A/F ratio real time. Second: Procharger has limited tech support to say the least, so you had better have a good working knowledge of supercharger setups before you just bolt it on, but that should be with any brand of supercharger.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BC, sorry if I mislead you, I am looking to buy that boat, not buy a procharger and install it myself.

I am looking for 38cigs and came across this one, and everyone told me to run from the prochargers. but you bring up a good point - how much more fuel do they use than if i did not have them.

Thanks

Wild
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Personally not a fan of pushing air into an engine in any manner, but having said that, I understand they can be the best bang for the buck. Also as with many engine mods other things must be done or in place to make it all work together and stay together.

Also, the second fastest V-bottom at last years LOTO Shootout was powered by Procharger twins. Setup and maintained by Lake Shores Marina. They are a dealer and can probably help with any info if you're interested.

John
Sunrise Upholstery
Old 03-08-2005, 09:49 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say in general stay away from them, they take careful installation and even more careful tuning to run correctly. When they do, they make good power, just hard to setup sometimes. I wouldn't not buy a boat just because of them, but i would make sure to talk to the person who installed them if possible. You can always take them off and put them on ebay if you really like the boat...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

They are only using more fuel when you are under boost, so at cruise it should be about the same. When you are in the boost that's another story, but who cares you are hauling ass! I would not be afraid to by a Procharged boat, I would definitely check the motors over good though, but that's with any boat.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a used boat is risky enough, buying one with superchargers adds to that risk. I am a big fan of supercharging and have a pair of Procharged motors in my Sonic. However I would never buy a used supercharged engine. You have no idea who set it up and how it was run. Supercharged motors are for people who like to go fast! Besides the motors, supercharges can be hard on the drives as well.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lakeluvr

Also, the second fastest V-bottom at last years LOTO Shootout was powered by Procharger twins. Setup and maintained by Lake Shores Marina. They are a dealer and can probably help with any info if you're interested.

John
Sunrise Upholstery
Spoke with Jason Monday and they had one motor on a dyno as is from the Scarab and did some nice numbers. Maybe he will post them here.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 813 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
BC, sorry if I mislead you, I am looking to buy that boat, not buy a procharger and install it myself.

I am looking for 38cigs and came across this one, and everyone told me to run from the prochargers. but you bring up a good point - how much more fuel do they use than if i did not have them.

Thanks

Wild
If your not mechanically inclined i would recomend against the prochargers as there is more things you must be on top of. As far as fuel usage,my single engine boat turns a taller prop than when it was stock and around 3800 cruises at 60mph getting about 2 mpg compared to cruising stock at 1.5 mpg around 38 mph,even when the boost gauge is not showing manifold boost the blower is feeding air to the motor making it more efficient. On the flip side at wot it uses a little more than double the amount of fuel it did stock but it is also making 75% more power and going 85 not 62 mph,Smitty

Quick Reply: Prochargers ???????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.