Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
3.3 whipple on 575 SCi >

3.3 whipple on 575 SCi

Notices

3.3 whipple on 575 SCi

Old 03-09-2005, 10:18 AM
plums

Default Re: 3.3 whipple on 575 SCi

How much more power would the whipple3.3/intercooler make versus the factory blower at 6-9 psi boost?

Old 03-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Ted
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
How much more power would the whipple3.3/intercooler make versus the factory blower at 6-9 psi boost?
Hi Plums,
This is an example of the capability of a 3.3 whipple. I know it doesnt directly correspond to your question but I thought you might be interested in the upper hp capability.

I have talked with Gary Teague about a project he did with a either a 555 inch or a 572 inch with aluminum heads and mech roller. he used a single dominator on top of an intercooled 3.3 and made 1040 hp with eight pounds of boost.
This illustates how efficient these little blowers are and how much they can flow if the heads ,cam and cubic inchs are there.
My two 552 inch long blocks have better heads than GT's engines and similar cams so I expect to be in the 900 to 925 range with five pounds boost on pump gas, at nine pounds I should be touching on 1000hp or even 1050. on race gas. Dont forget a blower can make up for a lot of shortcomings in the head department with boost so with the combination you are thinking it should be up to 800 hp easily if you make a cam change and clean up the heads. Your fuel system will need to be upgraded as well.
Just my trivia for the day. Dont forget I am a big fan of 14:71 but the whipple is great alternative and more efficient by far.

Have a good one
Ted
Old 03-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry for the misinformation. Yes, the 575 is a throttle body injection.

But if a man is staring at a set of perfectly good 575SCi's, is wanting more power, and is considering scrapping everything from the block up for a Whipple setup, I still say he's got more money than sense. A nice blue 575 is a very marketable motor, and as I mentioned before, I would trade my 575's for a set of 500's and some cash, and THEN think about strapping a whipple on em. Yes, dished pistons would be preferable if you are planning on running over 7 pounds of boost.

If a man is staring at a pair of tired 575's, then the Whipple idea is not a bad thought.

Is a whipple a more efficient compressor. Absolutely.
Will the stock blower on a 575 make 700hp? Absolutely.

Spend your money however you want..
Old 03-09-2005, 11:27 PM
plums

hey ted are you doing the whipples this year?

Old 03-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Ted
Registered

Yes. I need the torque, no fun the way it is. just cleaning up some bills then ready to order.
It should run very well this season.
Are you on different boat now? With 575's?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:31 AM
plums

Yes. I flip floped at the last second. I'm now trying to close on a different boat with 575SCi's.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I tend to agree with MC. Arizona Speed and others have upgrade kits for the 575 that add intercooler, boost and ECU changes. 700 HP seems easy this way.

Ted: Interesting numbers from Teague. Better heads and larger engines always help, and keep the HP down in a reasonable RPM range, but I have seen amazing numbers out of pretty plain engines. I tested a Vortech blower and a large intercooler on Nickerson's dyno once using the engine out of his personal boat. I just wanted to prove my system at the 800 HP level but he had other ideas.

I watched him make 1013 HP @ 6100 RPM using a stroked 454 with GM cast iron heads and a solid roller cam. Compression ratio was 8.25:1, boost was 9 psi and fuel was 93 octane. He didn't want to run it in the boat that way so he put on the next larger pulley and made 950 HP. Yes, the heads were ported and he used one of his special blowthrough carbs, but I was still amazed.

Hey Biggus, you were there for that test weren't you? Speaking of drive issues, your Konrads would probably handle that much power if it was from a centrifugal ststem.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Ted
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcat
I tend to agree with MC. Arizona Speed and others have upgrade kits for the 575 that add intercooler, boost and ECU changes. 700 HP seems easy this way.

Ted: Interesting numbers from Teague. Better heads and larger engines always help, and keep the HP down in a reasonable RPM range, but I have seen amazing numbers out of pretty plain engines. I tested a Vortech blower and a large intercooler on Nickerson's dyno once using the engine out of his personal boat. I just wanted to prove my system at the 800 HP level but he had other ideas.

I watched him make 1013 HP @ 6100 RPM using a stroked 454 with GM cast iron heads and a solid roller cam. Compression ratio was 8.25:1, boost was 9 psi and fuel was 93 octane. He didn't want to run it in the boat that way so he put on the next larger pulley and made 950 HP. Yes, the heads were ported and he used one of his special blowthrough carbs, but I was still amazed.

Hey Biggus, you were there for that test weren't you? Speaking of drive issues, your Konrads would probably handle that much power if it was from a centrifugal ststem.
Tomcat,
Great numbers, I have two backup engines which are the same as Deans except I have 9.1 to pistons. This is good news in the event I ever have to use them with the Whipples. The heads are done to the max they can be with bigger valves etc. They made 654 hp at 6100 with a 900 cfm carb. I wonder what they made without blowers, can you find out Tomcat?
I delt with Dean several times in trhe past and his work and knowledge is excellent.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

We should have done a naturally aspirated test but had no time. My guess is they made about 600 HP on their own. This jives with your numbers with higher compression.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Ted
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcat
We should have done a naturally aspirated test but had no time. My guess is they made about 600 HP on their own. This jives with your numbers with higher compression.
Thanks Tomcat
Thats good to know. I hope my good engines pull some good #'s at fairly low boost, if I can come close to Gary teague I wll be happy.

Quick Reply: 3.3 whipple on 575 SCi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.