261 Liberator with King Cobra questions? Help >

261 Liberator with King Cobra questions? Help

Notices

261 Liberator with King Cobra questions? Help

Old 03-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 261 Liberator with King Cobra questions? Help

I currently have a 21 ft Wellcraft SBC/Merc setup, but am looking at a few Liberators. Now what really scares me is that damn OMC KingCobra drive, is it that bad? Would you recommend staying away from OMC and going to something like twin 350's with the merc drive in a 241 Lib? I havent had 1 single issue with my current Merc but its also behind a tiny small block. I need help as I am almost ready to move on a few Liberators I saw. Also are parts available for King Cobra drives, 1 guy says yes the other guy says he has been waiting on parts since Dec 03'

Thanks Guys
Old 03-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 261 Liberator with King Cobra questions? Help

Originally Posted by woody1
I currently have a 21 ft Wellcraft SBC/Merc setup, but am looking at a few Liberators. Now what really scares me is that damn OMC KingCobra drive, is it that bad? Would you recommend staying away from OMC and going to something like twin 350's with the merc drive in a 241 Lib? I havent had 1 single issue with my current Merc but its also behind a tiny small block. I need help as I am almost ready to move on a few Liberators I saw. Also are parts available for King Cobra drives, 1 guy says yes the other guy says he has been waiting on parts since Dec 03'

Thanks Guys
Don't know much about them, except they were used on Liberators in 1988 and possibly a few years after. One thing to consider? Since there doesn't seem to be that many out there, parts might be an issue, also why did they go back to Merc. after only a few years? I'd personally stick with Merc. outdrives...
Old 03-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I've had a Cobra drive and it was pretty reliable except for the shift problem they are known for. It's hard to find someone to work on them who knows them well. I would stick with merc. Also in the size boat you are looking at I would lean towards a single BBC / bravo setup rather than twin 350s.

Last edited by Dave M; 03-09-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Registered

I have a friend with a 261 Lib. 460's King Cobras. 500 hrs absolutely no problems exept the nuetral safety. That thing amazes me, I am a chevy man but his Liberator will run upper 60's all day with those fords. I would say if they are taken care of you will be ok. Just my .02.
Woody 1. Were are you from. If you are in the market for a 261. His is fresh water only and sits on a trailer in the garage most of the time. It is a turn key boat at a reasonable price. Let me know if you are interested. He is motivated!
Good Luck
Josh
Old 03-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
I have a friend with a 261 Lib. 460's King Cobras. 500 hrs absolutely no problems exept the nuetral safety. That thing amazes me, I am a chevy man but his Liberator will run upper 60's all day with those fords. I would say if they are taken care of you will be ok. Just my .02.
Woody 1. Were are you from. If you are in the market for a 261. His is fresh water only and sits on a trailer in the garage most of the time. It is a turn key boat at a reasonable price. Let me know if you are interested. He is motivated!
Good Luck
Josh
Hey thanks guys for the replies, Perfectmix, Im in chicago
Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by woody1
Hey thanks guys for the replies, Perfectmix, Im in chicago
Woody1, Welcome to OSO, I sent you a PM!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:32 AM
HTM
Registered

Not sure if you would be interested but I have a friend here in Michigan that has an 86 261 The only one built with V-8 Evnirudes!!!! This thing is very cool if your into outboards!
if you are interested let me know he just told me yesterday that he was going to sell it.
Rob
Old 03-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Woody, I have a 1987 Four Winns Liberator 241. It has a New 540/600hp big block and a newer bravo drive. Runs upper 60's, should get 70 easy with right prop, and sits on a 2003 custom built trailer, new upholstery, lots of goodies. Looking to get low 20's for it. Valued at 23k on nada with my power. Let me know if you are interested, im in chicago, boat is at my summer home 2 hours away.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Registered

I have smallblocks with Cobras, there is no problem with them except that they don't advertise as much as merc so people assume that they are junk.

Not the case.

They are fine and have large capacity so you don't need drive showers.

Not impossible to get parts either.

But on resale you will be fighting misperceptions.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
I have smallblocks with Cobras, there is no problem with them except that they don't advertise as much as merc so people assume that they are junk.

Not the case.

They are fine and have large capacity so you don't need drive showers.

Not impossible to get parts either.

But on resale you will be fighting misperceptions.
Everyone I talk to says stay away from the KingCobra drives, I really want a liberator and always have, now is the time to get one for myself, but I cant get over the negatives associated with these, I found a 241 with a 460 no outdrive for 4500 bucks look here. Maybe I am paranoid but who knows
241 Lib

Quick Reply: 261 Liberator with King Cobra questions? Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.