New Formula's of Mobil 1 >

New Formula's of Mobil 1

Notices

New Formula's of Mobil 1

Old 03-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Formula's of Mobil 1

Just wondering what the thoughts are on the new Mobil 1 formulas that are for "extended" milage driving? 15000 miles?!?!

http://mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx
Oils

BH
Old 03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Re: New Formula's of Mobil 1

Looks like the 15-50wt is only available in the extended life
Old 03-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good catch Griff! I didn't pick up on that when news of this new version of Mobil 1 hit this site a few weeks ago. Lou
Old 03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Banned

If you want me to I will contact my guy at the refinerey and get the "scoop" from him.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What's not clear to me is what,if any, price difference will be for the different versions of Mobil 1. I bought 10 jugs of red cap at Walmart over the winter at just below $19.00/jug. I plan to continue to use the 15w-50 Mobil 1 and change it at roughly 12 hours even though the rebuilder (Sterling) recommended a 'qualified ' (shut it off, check oil level and smell dipstick. If oil level goes up or smells of gas-change it) 20 hour interval. The new Mobil 1 claims 36% more anti-wear and 77% more detergents which would prolong oil changes under normal driving conditions. Personally I wouldn't risk it with my blower motors that are set up just a little rich. That's just me. Everyone needs to do what they feel is right for themselves.Just one person's opinion. Lou
Old 03-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: New Formula's of Mobil 1

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
Just wondering what the thoughts are on the new Mobil 1 formulas that are for "extended" mileage driving? 15000 miles?!?!

http://mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...Oils/Oils.aspx
Oils

BH
Mobil chemists reformulated the additive package. From what I can tell it is similar to the "heavier" additive package they put in Mobil-1 V-Twin. The additives hold up longer so that means the detergency is increased which helps to keep small particles suspended thereby decreasing the potential for wear on the engine parts; the package has greater volumes of friction reducers to protect metals from scuffing etc; and the package also has more corrosion resistance chemistry built in. I believe I read that Mobil uses boron for detergency; moly for friction reduction and a proprietary item for corrosion resistance. All in all worth every cent. Remember...competitive products that advertise "extended" to 15,000 miles go for up to $9.00/qt so this is a great improvement and bargain.

In a marine application however I am not too sure about doing "extended" drains as we hear more about water from condensation and perhaps small amounts from the reversion thing. I think it's just a better product and follow manufacturers recommended drains.

Many European cars are going to 15,000 mile manufacturer drains and that's why Mobil reformulated; to be positioned in this "new" and expanding marketplace. Eventually this will become mainstream in the auto industry.

Porsche worked with Mobil in an article I read and found that in combination with their unique silicon/aluminum engine block composition that 15,000 miles showed oil analysis that reported nearly no metallic particles found in the oil samples at several test intervals. Porsche has a very good oil fliter as well which is key in going "extended" drains. Also, they use a dry sump system that is very efficient. So "don't try this at home" unless your auto manual says to ..(in my humble opinion).

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-09-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered

I really didn't intend on going this far with my boat motor. Just Mobil 1 20w50 changed every 30 hours with a Napa Gold filter. But with my auto's I am curious... I might try the extended and @ 7500 do an oil anaylsis.....
Old 03-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

Is Mobil 1 (or any synthetic) really recommended for a marine application where there is potentional for moisture in the oil?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: New Formula's of Mobil 1

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Is Mobil 1 (or any synthetic) really recommended for a marine application where there is potential for moisture in the oil?
The Illmor engines have Mobil-1 15W-50 manufacturer recommendations and the oil cap says 'Mobil-1" 15W-50.

Additionally a Sterling engines company rep said they used Mobil-1 in their marine application engines.

The new "goldcap" has more corrosion resistant additives.

Mercury Marine told me they now have a semi-synthetic blend 25W-40.

So to answer your question 2 companies use it and racing teams do as well. Condensation is not a huge concern as it burns off and some have said that Royal Purple has saved engines that had some reversion. SO it's your call as always.