Aluminum heads >

Aluminum heads

Notices

Aluminum heads

Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum heads

I checked on the Canfields. I was quoted 1900.00 per pair which included springs and retainers but did not include hard anodizing, so add another 200.00 or so.

The only reason I didn't go for them was that the exhaust ports were raised 1/2 inch and you would also have to drill and tap the holes on the front to mount brkts etc.

I just re-read an above post and the ones I was quoted on were NOT cnc'd. That is a few more bucks.

Last edited by Bigwavz; 03-10-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Registered

350cc Big Block heads, full roller cam assy "starting at" $2158.00/ Many upgrade options avalible.
Hard coat was extra.
BTW, I have them on my motors and wished I would have had them hard coated.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good heads cost a lot of money. My AFR's flow 380 in./290 ex. at .6 lift. I started with AFR 335 CNC heads but didn't get all of the performance increase I expected so I sent them to Jim Valako for a chamber and exhaust port. They are unreal now. At .3 lift the exhaust flows more than a stock Chevy at .7 lift. It comes at a price however. I have over $3000 in each set and I think I got a good price. As a good salt water alternative, Jim can port a set of Dart Iron Eagles to just about the same numbers for less money.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwavz
I checked on the Canfields. I was quoted 1900.00 per pair which included springs and retainers but did not include hard anodizing, so add another 200.00 or so.

The only reason I didn't go for them was that the exhaust ports were raised 1/2 inch and you would also have to drill and tap the holes on the front to mount brkts etc.

I just re-read an above post and the ones I was quoted on were NOT cnc'd. That is a few more bucks.

I was told that Canfield is actually making the Edelbrock heads now - not sure if that's true or not. I'm hoping that we don't need to make any exhaust changes - I don't want to have to do that.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned

Canfield does make heads for other companies, but E-brock is not one of them.

Chris
Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canfields exhaust ports are raised .600 just like AFR's. I thought you were looking for fully ported heads. From AFR my intakes outflow Canfields by an average of 11%. With work from JimV. my exhausts outflow Canfields by an average of 15%. I'll post the numbers if anyone really wants them. They probably outflow Edelbrock by 30%. Cost is always an issue but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

Aluminum Heads are the funk...........
Old 03-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Registered

$1350 for the edelbrocks. cpperformance.com
Old 03-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Well you guys, I suppose we could probably argue over this for a good long time, and would have to respectfully disagree with some on this, but I would tend to believe a longer duration camshaft is really only necessary where the flow of a certain head design needs help. I know the correct combination for a certain application is paramount, but I also believe there is potentially more power to be had in a set of heads than a longer duration camshaft.

Anyway, as far as aluminum heads go, whether it's a less expensive brand vs the more expensive ones, I still think that if a person can swing the "green" they're a good investment, have some nice advantages over the cast iron heads.

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-11-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Here is why I went with the Edelbocks:

1) My new boat is supercharged with stock engines and was NOT set up correctly.
2) Going from cast iron to aluminum will help me when I add more boost as they can cool better.
3) The Edelbrocks already come with the good intakes and Inconel exhaust valves.
4) I spent 3000.00 for two pairs of heads.
5) I can sell my cast iron ones on Ebay for at least 1500.00 for both pairs, thus my net cost is 1500.00
6) It would cost me more than 1500.00 to buy the good valves and have them installed and have some port work done on the cast ones.
7)Everything bolts up the same as stock
8) If I want I can have some port work done for even more power.
9) All told for a small investment I can have a nice set of heads and good performance for around 1000.00 over stock and everything will be new. All told about the same cost as a valve job on stock set, but I will be farther ahead overall.
10) But most of all I can be cool now that I have aluminum heads man

When all the dust settles I should have 100 HP more per motor than originally set up, and this comes from the heads, some other minor touches and a 2 lb increase in boost.

Last edited by Bigwavz; 03-13-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Aluminum heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.