Aluminum heads

Notices

Aluminum heads

Old 03-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum heads

Big,
I agree. I was addressing GPM's question on what will happen and I get drug into a confrontation. I appologize to the board. I addressed GPM's question with what I know is fact. I deal with top engine builders everyday in all realms of motorsport. Each a different sport that the engine is intended to help win but a commonality among all engines; Each is designed to make power within a certain rpm range of running. And each motorsport has participants that are passionate about what they as does any other sport, so I think referring to another "go fast" motorsport that there participants are "circle jerks" is really uncalled for.

Chris
Old 03-17-2005, 02:50 PM
EDC
Registered

Cool Re: Aluminum heads

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link...

Bill,

I'm in your neck of the woods. Say we get together and I'll explain how things work in the real world of engine building? You say you are an engine builder correct? Well then, how can you not know that E/I ratio is very key in the design of any camshaft profile? The camshaft is the brain of the engine and not knowing how to use all the information available to design one is just poor service to a customer!

Every camshaft designer, (short of the 1-800 telephone people) will ask for things like flow figures and other "cylinder head/intake manifold/exhaust system" information in order to make a proper decision. If they don't, then a consumer should look elsewhere for their custom engine or stick to "crate" engines. (and their "crate" performance)

Some engine builders may or may not agree with the "catalog" pieces and their configurations but they do ask the right questions if they are top shelf people.

Here's just one of the forms I ask for my customers to fill out along with a few other "cam people" that ask similar questions. These I found find pretty quickly too so anyone with a computer can do the same. The last one is even a competitor of mine in the Ford market yet he still has a "form" to fill out...

Makes for some good reading....

Cam Form

Elgin

Comp Cams

Crane

Lunati

Camshaft Innovations

Also ask for a catalog from people like Reed, Isky, Crower and others. In their "hard copy" catalogs, there are forms to fill out. See a trend here?

What Chris has stated is fact. The references he provided are valid people in this industry, Pick up the telephone and ask them.

Ed

Last edited by EDC; 03-17-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:33 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by splashandburn
I'm looking for two sets of fully ported Aluminum heads (coated) - does anyone have a competitive source for these? I was looking for Canfield but an not locked into them - just want a good flowing head. Thanks for any help.
Sorry, we kind of drifted off the subject. You might want to look at the flow numbers on several brands before making a decision. Match the head flow to the potential of your cubic inch.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry guys didn't mean to start a war. I was just thinking about trying another cam. Thought I might try something a little different.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:31 PM
EDC
Registered

Cool Re: Aluminum heads

Originally Posted by lchornet
you mention 2 things. One is the major cam companies, and one is that what Chris has stated is fact.

While, here are 2 facts. I just played around on the Crane and Comp website, and why is it that for any and all BB hi po apps that would apply to the Marine world, they list cams with split duration with a bias toward the exhaust.

2nd fact. Please enlighten us as to who you are and how you are an expert enough to say that what Chris has said is fact. Based on your post, you are a friend of his. I have lots of friends I'd like to say are experts, but who aren't
No matter what I may say, or what my experience is, it will not matter to Bill. He has his mind made up that cylinder head parameters play no role in camshaft design.

However, since this is not correct, I provided the links to various places that do "ask" for this type of data.

You're correct, I am a friend of Chris' as well as a few others mentioned in this thread, however, all I did provide were sources of information that do show the importance of the cylinder head data, a topic being discussed here. All while not insulting or condescending anyone's credability.

Take the info provided and do whatever you want with it. While reading through it, I'll be busy working on various combinations for my customers that "do work" extremely well. (whether I'm well known on this site or not.. )

Laters...

Ed
Old 03-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I helped Brett install my supercharging systems over the phone and discussed another engine build with him. He seemed like a nice, knowledgable guy, but I don't think that observation is going to prove anything in this discussion.

I don't understand heads and cams the way I would like to. My dumb impression is that all the good heads are a big improvement over stock and the differences between them in air flow and I/E ratio call for different cam specs to optimize, so there is maybe no such thing as the best head or the best cam.

Different builders pledge allegiance to different heads and cams based on hard won experience, and the guy that really tries all the different combinations is not going to share the answer because he needs to recover that investment in sales. If he did his homework then his stuff whups ass and word of mouth does the rest.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

The duration split of a camshaft is determined by I/E ratio. That is what I have stated. I have not stated that biased exhaust duration cams are not correct. I believe the best engines are built as a combination.

I won't limit any engine builders capabilities with a label. Each has a right to specialize in what they may prefer to do but that doesn't mean that they can't build an engine that will be competitive in some other sport.

Chris
Old 03-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say what you want all day about head flow, particularly on the exhaust side and the fact remains most boat headers aren't flowing as good as automotive counterparts. The fact is on many boat motors great flowing exhausts ports are being used with short tube headers or even manifolds!!! Now if truely custom headers i.e primary tube diameter and length along with collector design were built for a particular motor and they are run dry I could see running a single pattern with no problem. We put a single pattern cam in our 66 Vette that has GM oval aluminum heads on a 468 and the performance was OK. We then put headers on the motor and the gain was unreal!! My opinion is if we chose to run the HP manifolds the single pattern cam would need to be replaced. The split would be needed to crutch the exhaust system, not the heads!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Registered

cstraub all i hear is head head head from you what about boat ,exhaust system water in the exhaust system i have used both types of cams in blower motors with good heads junk heads and real good heads and more then one type of blower and everytime i push the exhaust nbs.the motor makes more power on the dyno and in the boat .we can argue heads all day there is more going on here then a air pump and a head in the real world not all things are perfect like in a computer we have to overcome the rest of the system
Old 03-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst part is when getting a cam ground one of the questions will be what type of exhaust. In the boating world we spend 3+ grand on systems and in reality many of us should be telling the cam grinder our exhaust really suck compared to true headers and flow more like HP manifolds. Instead I'll bet a lot of guys tell the cam grinder "my exhaust system is top of the line and flow great" and then end up with an incorrect custom ground cam! My advice is to buy a cam from a reputable marine engine builder who knows what CMI E-top, Gils, etc. exhaust systems are.

Quick Reply: Aluminum heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.