boat building >

boat building

Notices

boat building

Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry boat building

when a new boat is built what is the process.you wax the mold spray gelcoat shoot the glass hand lay or what ever method the company may use.then you install the core fiberglass it install stringers.know the boat is ready to come out of the mold.how do they do that the mold part?i know the mold can rotate and is on wheels do they pick it up with a crane or what.again i know the mold rotates for what reason.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: boat building

why are you mad about this? or did you put the wrong icon on the topic?

i say you pretty close on the process.....
Old 03-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered

Smile Re: boat building

not mad at all im just trying to understand the last process.how does it come out of the mold?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You ARE pretty close on the process.
Most manufacturers put a layer of Coremat, chopped fiberglass mat, on the gelcoat to prevent print-through in the finished product.
The supplier of the resin products gives the manufacturer a lamination schedule with parameters of when the mold release agents will kick-in.
Nothing is etched in stone, so the experience of the workers is an important factor here.
Hope I helped.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Registered

Question Re: boat building

still want to know diffrent ways of takeing the boat out of the mold?do they pick it with a crane do they slide it out on the floor doe's the mold split in two?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Oh.
Some manufacturers lift with overhead cranes while injecting compressed air between the mold and the piece coming out.
The Sonic and Active Thunder molds did not split in 1994 and 1995 when I worked as their sales manager. I don't know if that's changed.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The molds rotate so that they can glass the inside while standing outside and reaching in.

The wheels are for moving the molds around the shop...from glassing area to curing area to oven, etc.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes wedges are driven avound the boat between the hull and the mold and water is ran in crack this produces literally floating the hull out of the mold..... usually a mold release is used and the vacum is what holds the boat in the mold not the stickness of resin.....

Ernie
Old 03-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Sometimes parts of a mold may be split into pieces to get complex angles that would normally lock the part being made inside the mold. You also asked how they make the mold......well they would build a full size "Plug" of the part they want to replicate. Sometimes, like in the case of a hull, they can make it functional so they can test it and tweak parts before they cast a mold from it. Building the mold is the same as building the hull.....they just do a female part instead of a male part.
Go here and search around....plenty of good info and other links about building: http://boatdesign.net/forums/index.php?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Get your hands on the book "Heart of Glass" by Daniel Spurr.
You will love it. Fiberglass boats and the men who made them.
Aronow, Bertram, Wynne, Hunt, Gar Wood, Gary Garbrecht, Genth,...
all mentioned or contributed.
This is a must-read if you're really interested. Technical, but very interesting. I couldn't put it down.

Quick Reply: boat building

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.