Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller >

Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller

Notices

Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller

Old 03-24-2005, 04:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller

Fred that's what I get for looking at the board at 3AM---I misread something about the impeller and threw out the Globe Comment.

Can the KPM impeller be installed in a Jabsco 23800-0251 or Johnson pump?

My pumps are new but would like to have spare impellers especially if they'll run dry for 24 hours.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Registered

Fred,
I have the combo waterpump and fuel pump. Is there an application that will work for me?
Ken
Old 06-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Registered

I have the belt driven fuel pump on my setup.
You'll have to drill out a few extra holes and add
allens to mount the impeller on the bracket.
It's no big deal.
Nice looking stuff
Attached Thumbnails Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller-img_0720-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by StrikinLightnin; 06-15-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Registered

Has anyone had trouble getting this KPM sea pump to fit? It's a beautiful piece of billet, but due to it's larger size I only have about 1/4" of space between it and the bottom of the fuel pump and the side of the oil pan. There's not enough room to get a belt over the pully and then adjust it for the proper tension.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Say Fred,
My Merc pump has the back of the housing with 90* fittings that point downward to clear my Stef's Oil pan. Do you have a solution for that?

Thanks
Dick
Old 06-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monty
Has anyone had trouble getting this KPM sea pump to fit? It's a beautiful piece of billet, but due to it's larger size I only have about 1/4" of space between it and the bottom of the fuel pump and the side of the oil pan. There's not enough room to get a belt over the pully and then adjust it for the proper tension.
I installed a pair of these over the Winter, and they were a challenge to make them fit on an HP500 setup. I already run an electric fuel system, so at least I didn't have to deal with that, too.

First, the face plate (with the drive shaft, pulley) of the original setup had female threads to accept bolts from the rear. The KPM pumps come with studs that are supposed to thread into this plate, but the threads were wrong, and the studs were too long. So I drilled out the front plate to pass the studs thru it and use a backing nut, and attempted to cut off the studs to the correct length and re-thread. In the end, cutting the new threads was a job for a machine shop, as stainless is some hard chit.

Now I could mount them on the motors. Yup, there's a tight fit against the pan. I found that by hogging out the adjustment slot in the pump bracket, and by using a smaller washer on the lock-down bolt, I could get about 3/8" to 7/16" throw for adjustment. 3 or 4 trips to Napa finally got me the right size belt with a slight bit of room for stretch.

Next, I found that the output hose of the pump going to my trans cooler would no longer clear my motor mount plates. I had to torch out a 1" notch in the mount plate, and weld up reinforcements around the new hole.

My original configuration had the input and output hoses both running between the motor mount plate and the pan, and there was no way the input side was going back in the same place, due to the pump housing inlets/outlets being so different. To fix this, I used a 90deg fitting on the input, and came directly up from the bottom. This required some plumbing adjustments on my sea strainers (90 here, 45 there...), but I got it done.

In the end, I'm happy with the way they turned out. Was it worth the hassle? Time will tell. I can tell you that this job needs to be done with the motors out of the boat! I just hope maintenance parts will be available for a LONG time, as I'm not ready to change to a different pump setup anytime soon. The good news is that a Merc impellor will work in a pinch, or if KPM goes away.

Good luck with your project.

Brian
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Registered

I also have to add that Fred at Trick Marine was a big help in this project. As I needed parts to keep moving forward, he got them to me in short order.

Guess he isn't Too Old afterall.

Thanks Fred!

Brian
Old 06-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Registered

Hey p4-33,

Do you think I'll have problems with impeller hose I/O and my front motor mount?
I have a 42lightning with the merc solid mount.
Also pic of holes drilled with allens.
Attached Thumbnails Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller-img_0724-large-.jpg   Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller-img_0725-large-.jpg  
Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Registered

From the rear view, looks like your input (from strainer) is on top, output (to coolers, motor) is on the bottom. Mine are rotated 180, output on top, and those go to my coolers.

The output is the one that's tricky, depending on where your first cooler is located. My pump on the bracket was MUCH closer to the pan, and didn't route thru the big hole in the motor mount - it went between the mount and the block.

The input hoses from the strainer are a little easier to reroute. If it's oriented so the bottom fitting is the input line, you can use a 90deg fitting if the motor mount gets in the way.

All I can suggest is to get your mounts up close to the motor and see what lines up.

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures during my refit.

Brian
Old 06-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Registered

What did you guys use on the treads on the pump fittings? Teflon tape,pipe dope? Doug

Quick Reply: Kpm Racing Raw Water Impeller

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.