Heads are Junk >

Heads are Junk

Notices

Heads are Junk

Old 03-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Heads are Junk

Took my heads in to get reconditioned (valves, seals, guides, etc). Got a not so pleasant call,,,,,,,,,,, three out of four of my heads are cracked across the valve seats.

In the market for replacements. Going to stay stock, not enough need or bread for hypo-heads. Heads are off Gen IV (1989) 454 Mags. Anyone have a good source????????????
Old 03-21-2005, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heads are Junk

I have four cast iron heads that I am removing off 502 MPI mags next week. These are off of Gen 6 motors. They are the good rectangular port heads. Do some checking I think these will work on a Mk 4 motor. Let me know if they will work and we can figure out a price if you are interested.

My email is [email protected]

Dave
Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwavz
I have four cast iron heads that I am removing off 502 MPI mags next week. These are off of Gen 6 motors. They are the good rectangular port heads. Do some checking I think these will work on a Mk 4 motor. Let me know if they will work and we can figure out a price if you are interested.

Dave
OK, I'll do some digging. Actually, some guys here may know if your heads will mate-up with my motors. Chime in guys.

Dave
Old 03-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a set of 781 large ovals from a Mark IV that I just put $800 of machine work into after paying $500 for an Ebay special
Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have 4 stock rectangular port heads off a 454 mag 1997 for sale, also you may be intersested in the entire upper end. I have roller cam, lifters, pushrods intake carb, etc..... 600 each set of heads, 1000 complete upper end all stock in great condition. Like to see some one be able to use.... Eric
Old 03-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Third look for complete recon'd marine heads. May be less $ overall and bolt on saving you precious time and hassle.

The oval ports make good power on those Mags also with the right cam & intake.

I saw you say the shortblocks were in good shape cylinders "looked" good. Did you do comp & leakdown prior to the teardown? Just because the finish (and that needs to be checked) is there, doesn't mean the cylinders are round or the rings aren't glazed or undersize! at the very least you should do hone/rings and bearings...and deck the blocks if you're gonna bolt on heads it wasn't born with! you're gonna kick yourself in the azz later. Now's the time if you plan on running the boat another couple seasons min.

Last edited by Rippem; 03-21-2005 at 05:17 PM.