gimbal bearing - removal >

gimbal bearing - removal

Notices

gimbal bearing - removal

Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: gimbal bearing - removal

My Gimbals are off my boat and I need to replace the bearing in one. I was trying to figure out how to hold it while using the slide hammer puller.
I didn't even think of just pushing out from the inside..........DOH!
That's why I surf this section.
DS
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Be sure to align the bearing correctly before you install it. There is a lubrication port in the gimbal ring. Should be around the 2:00 oclock position, looking in from the stern. The band around the outside of the bearing has a split in it about 1/4 inch wide. That split has to line up with the lube port in the bearing and in the gimbal ring. If it doesn't, you can't get grease into the bearing. Which, ultimately means that your new bearing wont last very long. One other thing, the bearing has a forward and a backwards, so to speak. the outer race has cutouts/notches cut in them. those notches must face forward. When installing the bearing, don't strike the inner race. That too, will shorten the life of the bearing, if not damage it right away.
I usually grease the bearing before I install the drive, so I can see if it is getting grease. If the grease starts to show near the inner race, it is in correct. If it shows around the outer race or not at all, it is in wrong. Good luck.......
Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the orinetation of the bearing doesnt actually matter unless you sre running an x-series drive. the inner race is shorter on one side and it is to accomdate the larger u-joint assembaly on the x sreies drives.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Registered

[QUOTE= One other thing, the bearing has a forward and a backwards, so to speak. the outer race has cutouts/notches cut in them. those notches must face forward. [/QUOTE]

In industry these are called cartridge bearings because you can replace just the bearing part itself by rotating it 90* and pulling it out of the outer housing. That is as long as the notches are facing out. Merc installs them facing in which I never understood. That requires the slap hammer removal and sledge hammer install. When I replace them I always install with the notches facing out so I never have to replace the outer housing again. I have never had a problem with failure due to this. Am I missing something?

BT
Old 03-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=blue thunder]
Originally Posted by One other thing, the bearing has a forward and a backwards, so to speak. the outer race has cutouts/notches cut in them. those notches must face forward. [/QUOTE

In industry these are called cartridge bearings because you can replace just the bearing part itself by rotating it 90* and pulling it out of the outer housing. That is as long as the notches are facing out. Merc installs them facing in which I never understood. That requires the slap hammer removal and sledge hammer install. When I replace them I always install with the notches facing out so I never have to replace the outer housing again. I have never had a problem with failure due to this. Am I missing something?

BT
youre not missing anything I think I have been though
Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Registered

nope, not missing anything...you can buy that bearing from any bearing shop but i think the outer race is propietary..best i remember, merc gets 80.00 plus for the assy and you can get just the bearing aftermarket for 25.00..if you follow their directions and insert it w/ the notches inward, your forced to yank the whole thing and go back to merc!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Same thing I do, turn it 90 then pull it out.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BulletProof
..if you follow their directions and insert it w/ the notches inward, your forced to yank the whole thing and go back to merc!
Just as I always suspected....

BT
Old 03-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Registered

I thought it was a little longer one way than the other.

Is there still room for the bigger XR u-joint when you install it backward?
DS
Old 03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

All we sell is the center bearing only.In fact I believe my company is the reason Mercury puts them in backwards.Years ago we had Linkbelt selling us just the center only.Mercury put pressure on them and next thing you know Linkbelt cut us off.No we use SKF and we had them put a seal to help it last longer.Yes we do sell it for $24.95.I always put the bearing back in with the notches facing outward.

Quick Reply: gimbal bearing - removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.