Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Opinions on best sealing Intake gasket? >

Opinions on best sealing Intake gasket?

Notices

Opinions on best sealing Intake gasket?

Old 03-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions on best sealing Intake gasket?

In the boards humble opinion what is the best sealing intake manifold gasket for rectangular port 502? I have a B&M 250 that likes to leak around the water passages. It will seal up with lots of RTV on the water ports and many laps through the torque pattern but I would be farther ahead of the game to start with the best gasket I can get. I suspect that the blower manifold is slightly warped so I may want to choose a gasket that has a little more "squish" to it. With the blower off the blower manifold you can see the intake ports. The Fel Pro gasket wants to squeeze out between the intakes ports, that is a very thin area there. With a blower manifold that is not really a big deal since that whole area is a common plenum, there are no individual runners.

I suppose what I need is an intake gasket that is the most forgiving to the manifold and heads being out of tolerance to one another. The stock merc gasket looks like it may have a little more compression to make up the difference? Any other choices beside Merc or FelPro 1211?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: Opinions on best sealing Intake gasket?

sutphen, is that a thick and compressible type gasket similar to the Merc part? The FelPro does not compress whereas the Merc gasket seems to made from a metallic composite similar to their exhaust gasket. I think what I need is a compressible gasket to keep the tolerances in order.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend the Merc gskt. I have had same problem and have had good luck with them.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Registered

Well I suppose I will try to get my hands on one of the MR Gasket pieces and compare it to the Merc. part. I just hate using the RTV as it is a bear to get back apart and clean without lots of razor cleaning.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:07 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You might want to look at the Cometic intake gasket, they don't saturate with gas or oil. I've run up to 18lb of boost never a problem.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

you also may want to have the intake checked a machine shop can cut it to clean it up this also may make it tighter if done right. if it is too small now felpro make a thick gasket
Old 03-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
You might want to look at the Cometic intake gasket, they don't saturate with gas or oil. I've run up to 18lb of boost never a problem.
did not know that Cometic was making intake gaskets i will have to look at those thinks
Old 03-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Registered

PN and source for Cometic and FelPro thicker gasket?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

WWW.Cometic.Com they come in .060, .094, .120, and .180, I believe you can buy direct, and I believe Trend sells them.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, hopefully things haven't changed on the intake, but when I was dealing with this same issue, I checked that intake at work on a surface plate for squareness and flatness. It was almost perfect, meaning less than .005 runout over the full length, not in just a 6" area. Are the ports still in good shape? I know the aluminum really likes to corrode alot at the ports. My buddys blower intake is newer than yours and the ports have corrode to tthe point of he is having the same issue last fall. He rebuilt the gasket surface there for back to original contact area. This is one of the reasons I hate to sell stuff to friends. Hopefully different gaskets will work for you, however I never had a problem with the thinner Felpros once I got a handle on the pressure issue and of course the roundy roundy procedure fro torquing the intake down. I also thought of the thicker gasket, but feared it would be too soft to seal and never be able to tighten down evenly.

Did you get my email?

Quick Reply: Opinions on best sealing Intake gasket?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.