Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo 1 fluid change…& Maint. >

Bravo 1 fluid change…& Maint.

Notices

Bravo 1 fluid change…& Maint.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 AM
rkeith01

Default Bravo 1 fluid change…& Maint.

I have been attempting to change my fluid in my outdrive but I cannot get the fluid to drain from the reservoir. Here are the sequence of maintenance events that I performed on my outdrive.
1. pulled lower plug to drain – drained really slow
2. pulled vent plug to help drain – drained really slow
(still fluid in the reservoir waited about ~20-30 mins with little impact if any to reservoir level)
3. pulled drive to complete maintenance – greasing and o-ring replacement (still fluid in reservoir)
4. put drive back on with plugs removed little to no fluid drain reservoir still has fluid
5. waiting no fluid coming out…..
6. reading OSO looking for the answer….nothing clear cut

So perhaps it time for ask (as this is the first time that I have done this - I think the maint manual has left some stuff out).

I think the check valve may be stuck from what I have been reading about but I’m not for sure. Could this be it? If so how does this happen and how do you correct? Or is it something else???

One other thing I started to think about is when you put the drive back on will it shift itself into gear and I should go up to the controls and put into N before starting?

Thanks in advance for any heeellllpppp..

Old 03-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bravo 1 fluid change…& Maint.

When you pulled the drive, did you notice the check valve, I believe in the upper right? Normally, I get a little drive fluid out of there as I back the drive out just a notch in preparation for removing the shift linkage. Did you notice any fluid at all? You might only get some when the drive is just a notch removed, after that, it's held back in. With the drive off, you can check it manually. The fluid level should be dropping in your reservoir, I usually have someone in the boat feed the tank with new oil to keep the tank full as I empty it out the bottom of the outdrive, slowly as to not let any air feed back in.

I'm not sure how the check valve can get stuck unless the "nib" on the outdrive is missing and not pushing in on the check valve.

Should be in nuetral when you pull the drive so the linkage is in neutral as well.

I'll see if I can find anything else...
Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The resevoir will not drop with the drive off you can easily inspect the valve by pushing on the nipple when the drive is off, if fluid dribbles on your finger its good to go. also the best way to get all the fluid out of the resevoir is to pull it out of the boat and empty it, you will find that there is ussually a waxy buildup in the bottom of the reseviore if youre running merc gear lube, this can sometimes plug the system up, if you find alot of it in the resevoir you can pull the check valve out of the bellhousing and blow air through the tube to clear it and then clean out the res. real good. The best way to refill that system is to intall the top vent plug in the drive and put the pump on the lower fill/drain plug. Make sure you have the cap off the resevoir when you start filling it though otherwise ugly things can happen. just fill it until it is about 1 inch shy off the full mark on the resevoir and then let it sit for a while then top of the res and your all done. Also when installing the drive the boat should be in nuetral and the shift linkage on the drive should be pulled all the way out, it will pop into nuetral when you install it, just make sure that the cable end goes into the linkage and not off to the side as you install it you can ruin a shift cable real quick otherwise.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what do you guys run for drive fluid if not the mercruiser stuff??
Old 03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Mobile 1 75w90