Notices

State of the Sport?

Old 05-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts
Default Re: State of the Sport?

I understand youre desire to see SBI/APBA/UIM/WPR succeed and i admire youre dedication to them, This year i am just a fan, due to my work i travel alot out of the country, so could not commit to being on any crew. so , what i say is based on my opinion. while i dont know what will bring a happy and united offshore curcuit. i do feel that OSS has capitalized on the fact they only have 5 classes, It is very enjoyable to watch only one or two classes on the course at once not 8 or 9,in the apba heyday there were usally 45 p-class boats at a race, some racing the entire national curcuit, which is thier choice, but i think this should be at a divisional level, until the worlds when all get to race. I still dont like the term "worlds "
It should be "North American chamipionship" because this is what it truly is. Baseball and Nascar, apples and oranges, If you go to other forms of boat racing look at thier attendance, The gold cup used to attract up to half a million, and hydros are awesome to watch. Drag boats if youve ever seen them, they are bad A$$, in offshore people wonder what is going on half the time, ive heard everything from is this a boat show to are them filming a movie. who's winning??? there usually is little to no advertisement, ive been to many races where if you werent prepared with drink and food in the pits you had none. the races need to have a carnival atmosphere, vendors, kids running around with signed posters, At the biloxi, kids were everywhere with the biggest smiles on their faces, because they not only got free posters, thier mom's and dad's bought them a hat or shirt from a team they liked, they met the driver throttleman (or woman)and team members , they got to come up and look at the boats close-up. this is how the fan base starts, one of the indidviuals i was at the races with struck up a conversation with a gentleman from ??? he saw the races last year while on business, he enjoyed them so much he brought his whole family for a weekend get away to watch the races. When people can understand what is going on it will draw more fans. Not to say SBI/APBA/UIM/WPR isnt competeing on a professional level, it is. but there are TOO many classes which can lead to another thread. each post doesnt have to be slam agianst the other or them vs us. everyone is entitle to thier own opinion, and able to share in a public forum. some say history repeats itself, well if thats the case it will, some try to make a change or difference and they are. only time will let us know if they are successful. so lets stop arguing over this and that and let the season unfold. I plan on attending as many races as work permits, and hope to share the excitement that offshore racing OSS style brings, i would hope that, more would bring the excitement of SBI/APBA/UIM/WPR races to the forum prior to the event being over. make the sport fan friendly and they will come.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Pete is right on target,as I mentioned on the SVL-OSS thread yesterday its all about the fans.Without the fanbase we have a hobby not a professional motorsport.At our last race we had over two hundred thousand spectators and the only reason they came was to see a boat race.Our biggest complaint from the fans was because of several classes racing together no one knew who was racing who.At our last race we begged JC for a parade lap ,it was like pulling teeth because he doesn't like parade laps,but guess what?The fans do.When the fans book their rooms a year in advace the sponsors do also.Even with the economic damage from hurricane Ivan our sponsors from last year and many more have already signed up for August.The best thing we can do to better our sport is to remember the fans and show respect for both organizations and stop the public bad mouthing as it hurts our image more than you think. Gary
Old 05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gary nichols
The best thing we can do to better our sport is to remember the fans and show respect for both organizations and stop the public bad mouthing as it hurts our image more than you think. Gary
Absolutely right on Gary!
Old 05-06-2005, 03:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% Correct Gary. This marriage thing may be good for you! Hey Dave.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dhlaw
I have always felt that the differences between the organizations is negligible and this is really about egos. I will even provide the mediators, including the best labor mediator in the country, a former VP of HArley Davidson who has watched this whole process and is a 30 year expert in collective bargaining, and a NASCAR exec similarly trained at my expense. Lets get this stuff out of the way!!!!
That's quite an offer........ and goes to the heart of the matter.

Sitting down in good faith........

How can it happen?

1. Both sides have to acknowledge that the current divided situation is wrong. The sport is too small and underfunded to support two groups.

2. Both groups have to let go of the concept of "control". This is a tough one given the fact that various people are making some form of living off of the current formats. With the lack of funding and need for volunteerism in the short term....Anyone who uses this sport solely as a means to make a living.... should be eliminated. In addition, no matter who paid how much for what in the past..... That was a bad investment...and no racers owe an investor any return at all.

3. The exclusive APBA contractual rights..... Have to be canceled........or abandoned..... to solve problem #2 above. If this means leaving UIM recognition on the cutting room floor...so be it. That's why there are special events sanctions.

4. Racers, in general, have to put their own selfish interests on hold and join a unified group for the greater good. Nascar does not assure each racer a trophy/championship/world record every race...or every season.... but it pays off in sponsor dollars and ROI...and funds the teams very nicely. While that level of profit may be unrealistic.... certainly the sport can be as profitable as other tightly controlled motorsports like motocross or SCCA..... The point is you can't come to any major motor racing organization and arbitrarily decide you are going to race a 20 year old design....or add an extra motor... or build a completely different transmission.... simply to feed your own ego.

5. Finally..... To the trouble makers.... Grow up...and shut up.
The finger pointing....tale telling...and outright lying is beyond damaging. If you are among the loudest and most flamboyant defenders of your group...be it APBA or OSS ..... You are probably one of the main causes of this problem. I've been around a while, and believe me, at this point, neither side has all that much to crow about..... The sport is shrinking for chrissakes!!!! This means stop the name calling, stop the pathetic flag waving, and stop speaking about the "other" group as "them"..... You are all racers...and you will all sink or swim together.

Those of you who follow my posts, know that at the height of "LLC mania" a few years ago... I was a lone voice in the night pointing out that the emperor had no clothes....

Now it seems we have come full circle and you are running out of chances to make a decent wardrobe.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 05-06-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:13 PM
oui
Registered

It's right on time for a meeting of the great minds of this sport to put aside differences and think like a FAN and not a racer, many sponsors just might begin to open up their wallets a little as the transition to unity begins
Old 05-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Registered

UNIFY or the sport WILL DIE
Old 05-08-2005, 07:51 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by n2boatn2
UNIFY or the sport WILL DIE
Don't worry! Everything will be just fine.

If we can get the organizations to perhaps work out a deal to race together such as same sites same dates, SBI race on Saturday and OSS race on on Sunday with everyone keeping their own rules and sanctioning that would be just great!

Sure it may be a dream for now, but then again, so was the Worlds of 2004.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !