Notices

Awesome Picture

Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Awesome Picture

Scott, Mark, Bob....I was there too, always the hi-lite of the summer for me when I was a kid....

Old 06-17-2005, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Re: Awesome Picture

Me and Val were there with The Crazy Greek! Waterboy, everything takes $$$. We could have a hugh turnout if we could raise more $$$ and have a hell of a payout for each class. Smitty and I are already coming up with the additional 5000 for SVL, ANYONE else want to DONATe towards the total prise money??? buyafountain, we're's your check Bro.?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Awesome Picture

Excellent pic Scotty!

I think I am in there some where as well.
I was the kid on the BMX bike out in the parking lot....jumping over the hoods of cars....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pic Scott. We need it back in Point Pl. Smitty is on the right track but like they said it all about the money and commitment.
MD
Old 06-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The difference back then was ONE racing organization, with very strong divisional racing. The Benihana Grand Prix was more than just a race-it was a week long "carnaval", which was heavily supported by the town of Point Pleasant. Parades, Miss Grand Prix contest, Media days and Testing Days were all part of the activities. Boats would arrive at this venue a week ahead of time, to be part of everything. This race was usually held on a Wednesday in the middle of July, and the next race (usually in the Great Lakes) was not untill mid August.
Great Pic Scott!
Old 06-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

THE CRAZY GREEK !! I just got the chills. Johnny Bochis was a rip. Was very close with John Kent back then. I was born in 1967 and when i was 14-15 i lived in Brick (Baywood section), and had strict instructions to keep my moped local and off major highways. But i always every year had to sneak over to the KGI (Kings Grant Inn) to awww at the boats. Augie and Smitty, you guys are going outta your way to try and make it work and i hope it does.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bernie, with the help of everyone...IT WILL! Thanks Bro.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
The difference back then was ONE racing organization, with very strong divisional racing. The Benihana Grand Prix was more than just a race-it was a week long "carnaval", which was heavily supported by the town of Point Pleasant. Parades, Miss Grand Prix contest, Media days and Testing Days were all part of the activities. Boats would arrive at this venue a week ahead of time, to be part of everything. This race was usually held on a Wednesday in the middle of July, and the next race (usually in the Great Lakes) was not untill mid August.
Great Pic Scott!
The real difference back then was that race boats were bigger than life and NO ONE had one hanging off their docks. Those were the days when a 21' Searay with a 188 I/O was a big, fast pleasure boat. Now days, some pleasure boats are bigger, badder, faster than race boats so they aren't as much of a unique spectacle as they once were.

People used to flock to see an airplane lift off too. Once people get used to seeing things, the spectacle effect wears off. That's why we will NEVER see those types of crowds again no matter how much publicity we get.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
OK here's one back at you, what boat was leading near the end of that race (also running off the pace) and broke down a 1/2 mile from the finish???
Hint: 28' Single engine Cigarette
It was a white 28 Cig.... I think it was named Super Toad
If I looked at my Pics, I know I have one of that boat.........

Lucky Strike

Last edited by lucky strike; 06-19-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 1waterboy1
Scotty,
That was the first year of the Benihana Grand Prix(1975)...the race was brought back to Point Pleasant after a year in Atlantic City."La Tortuga" was aptly named; this boat owned and driven by John Varese ran entire 210mile course at a fairly slow pace....but they finished...and because no other Open Class was able to complete the course....they won!My brother and I are somewhere in the crowd too....anyone who thinks our sport is not a spectator sport should look at the photos from that era!!!!!!!!!The Point Pleasant race is headed in the right direction again.I sure hope as many race teams as possible support the event this August.

Trivia Question:What kind of hull is "La Tortuga"?
All the open boats missed the ck. point and wound up in the Hudson river....... Follow the leader........wrong !!!!!!

L.S.

Quick Reply: Awesome Picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.