Notices

Quick Question about Sarasota Dry Pits

Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick Question about Sarasota Dry Pits

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
It would surprise me greatly, that the amount of money the "Festival" takes in, that they could not cover the increased cost of the Van Wezel parking area, particularly considering they were charging five bucks per head to get in.

I know of a GREAT many people that did not go to the dry pits this year, because of the weather creating mud. People just didn't want to pay five bucks to walk around in mud. Other complaints it was just too spread out.

There were certainly pros and cons about the new site. I think that MOST would rather see it back at Van Wezel.

The city is/was trying to acquire the land just north of the 10th st. Ramps. If successful that would add much more room for the racing activities. Let's hope that can achieve that.

I don't think anyone doubts the enthusiasim that Sarasota offers to the races. It's just the logistics of this year's race left a lot to be desired. Particularly the traffic nightmare going to and especially from the races. It was horrific, at least that's what thirty people have told me who were there. All of them stated emphatically they would NEVER do it again.

I'm glad the race was as successful as it was. It's just consensus of opinion that certain aspects of the race were not as "spectator friendly" as has been in the past, and it's the spectators that "make or break" the entire event.

Having the Hyatt basically "shut out" of the races this year just did not feel right. But I can only offer what spectators have, and with regard to some issues, racers, have told me.
==========================

I was at the Hyatt again this year. Had it not been the starting , completion and party central for the Poker run it would in my humble opinion been a ghost town/marina.

This year most of the slips were over flowing with Poker Run
craft (30-40)... Last year on race day I (a lowly fan) was thrilled to see the marina filled with the racing (APBA/SBI) craft .

If the responsible organization (s) at Sarasota added to the cement floating docks down to the end (Ritz Carlton) on both sides of the marina it to this simple mind would more than pay for itself.

I agree with Klaatu... I was on the beach during the race (actually in the water) on Sunday and everyone I spoke to stated they came to see the RACES. This is one of, if not the best RACE loving town around...

Back at the Hyatt everything/comments was positive except for traffic and dry pit location as well as award location complaints.

Don Marco (I have NO agenda)--See ya in Deerfield and the Keys...