Notices

Huntington Beach Race

Old 08-28-2005, 11:36 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Huntington Beach Race

turn 2
Attached Thumbnails Huntington Beach Race-p8280064.jpg   Huntington Beach Race-p8280065.jpg   Huntington Beach Race-p8280066.jpg  

Old 08-28-2005, 11:37 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

more
Attached Thumbnails Huntington Beach Race-p8280067.jpg   Huntington Beach Race-p8280068.jpg   Huntington Beach Race-p8280069.jpg  

Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Thats it. The running order before the incident was SC Hidden Agenda/ SC Travis/ SV Adrenalin/ P2 Stray Cat/ P3 Gentry Marine/ P4 Ipod/ P5.
Travis and Hidden Agenda had a good battle going but Hidden Agenda went over on lap 5 or 6 in turn one. The race went into hold mode after that some boats (Adrenalin) pulled out after rumors of a tragedy. After the race we were told that Chris had drank too much red tide and had to be revived and his co pilot had hurt his arm.
The F3 Lavey had a rough first or second lap and pulled off bet they were ok also.
It was rough going between turn 1 and 2. Great place to watch from. Vern made us cringe launching the Gentry way in the air several times every lap, If there was a swell he hit it.

Congratulations Vern and Scott on the win!

Thanks to everyone who helped at the race. I hope that the politics can be ironed out and the race up in Pittsburg Ca in 2 weeks will attract more boats.
Thanks again Gary!
pat W
Attached Thumbnails Huntington Beach Race-p8280070.jpg   Huntington Beach Race-p8280071.jpg  
Old 08-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's all be sure to keep Chris and his team in our prayers. He is still in the hospital as salt water in your lungs can be a very serious thing, and there are many precautions they must take.

He is in very good spirits and said he was having the time of his life before the accident. God sure was looking over him, as many of you know he is a great freind to all that know him in the industry.

Chris, know that you will be in our prayers throughout the week, and we all wish you a speedy recovery!

Chris Reindl
Old 08-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Registered

Monday, August 29, 2005

Powerboat racer rescued by divers
40-foot catamaran flips while leading Huntington Beach Offshore Grand Prix.

The Orange County Register

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Divers rescued a powerboat racer who was trapped briefly under his boat after it flipped Sunday during the Huntington Beach Offshore Grand Prix.

Chris Carmody, 45, of Houston was in a 40-foot Skater catamaran, which was leading a pack of nine in the event's final, when it caught a swell and flipped.

Driver Roy Schrader of Santa Barbara managed to free himself from the cockpit, but Carmody, who was handling the boat's throttles, could not, said Scotty McAllister, captain of a rescue boat at the accident scene.

Carmody was not breathing and did not have a pulse when divers pulled him from the water. Race volunteers managed to revive him.

"He pretty much drowned. But we did everything we could and we brought him back," said Alan Blake, a volunteer who helped resuscitate Carmody.

Both men were taken to Huntington Beach Hospital. Schrader, who suffered minor injuries, was treated and released.

Carmody was expected to remain in the hospital overnight for observation, said Sgt. Mike Scalise of the Harbor Patrol. A hospital spokeswoman declined to provide information about his condition.

"He's doing OK," said race director Tom Brunner. "The only thing he's upset about now is he was leading when the boat flipped."
Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I talked to Roy yesterday. He is doing well. He said Chris is ok, will be out in a day, and shall be flying back home on fri.
That was a close call for Chris. Thankgod you guys are Ok!!!
BG XO
Old 08-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just talked to Julie, Chris is supposed to be released today but can’t fly home till Friday.

We were having a great race with Team Travis, probably the most fun Chris and I ever had racing together. The water was rough enough to make it interesting and we had a side by side battle going right from the green flag. It was the sixth lap, Chris thinks he came off the throttle too much and let the sponson dig in (the holes were huge). I think we hooked on the top of one swell, and then hooked the other way on the next swell and the boat rolled. I can’t even tell you which way we went over. Chris thought we went over on my side and I think we went over on his side.

Action POV.com flimed everything so until we see it I'm not sure. The video will be available in 2 weeks.

Looks like we made the NHRA web site. (From the Checker Schuck's Kragen Funny Car team)

Monday, August 29, 2005
When near-tragedy hits close to home

Hey everyone! This is Connie, Del’s wife. I get asked quite often what it’s like to be married to a race car driver, so I thought this team “blog” thing would be a great opportunity to give you some insight on our somewhat normal family life.

This last weekend was our first off weekend in something like nine weeks. As you can guess, the “Honey-do” list was running pages long now, so Del and I cut a deal. If he could knock off at least half of the list, I would accompany him to an off-shore boat race on Sunday. Good to his word (and mine) we met his dad Chuck, his good friend Rod, and our friend and longtime supporter and sponsor Frank Gilchrist at the event near our home in Newport Beach.

As any racer can tell you, traveling across the country, we have the opportunity to meet so many wonderful fans that many become lifelong friends. Such is the case with Chris Carmody and his wife Julie who we met earlier this year in Houston. Chris is the owner and throttle man on the boat that we were there to watch.

We found our way around the docks, found the Carmodys, and let them know that we would be there to cheer them on from shore. The race was really quite fun to watch. The boats hit speeds in excess of 140 mph. Even from shore that looked pretty darn fast. We were amazed that a boat weighing over 10,000 pounds could go completely airborne. Just into their 4th of 15 laps we watched in awe as Chris’ boat flipped over. Seconds turned into minutes and those minutes felt like an eternity as we waited for some sign of Chris or the driver. Being so far from the accident the only reports we had were third-hand from the radio of another team. All we heard was, without identification, that one crewmember was out and the other was not breathing. I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing as I watched so helplessly alongside his wife and family.

We found our way to the hospital, not knowing what we would encounter there. Upon arrival we were told that things looked good for Chris. He regained consciousness once at the hospital, but because he had basically drowned, he would have to remain hospitalized several days for observation. A family had come very close to losing a husband, a father, a son, a dear friend. And this is what weighed on my heart and mind for the remainder of the day and was with me this morning when I woke.

Someone made a remark to me at the hospital, that I must be used to this kind of stress every weekend when Del races. But actually, no, this is never something that, I, or for that matter, anybody can get used to. We all know that the danger is there every race, every run. My comforts are in knowing that Del absolutely loves what he does, so all I can do is make sure that he knows how much the kids and I love him when we send him off to work and say our prayers, not for the win, but for the safety of every one of the drivers and crew in our NHRA “family.” Until next time.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Registered

Vern (P3-98 Gentry Sports) run in the race with Chris and Roy and seen it happen. We are so happy to hear Chris and Roy are OK! Roy is friend and we just met Chris with his great personality and big smile and his beautiful wife Julie for the first time at the race in H.B. and they are special people. Vern and I are proud to call you our friends. Take care and hope to see all of you soon!

Teresa
SBI/APBA/UIM Representative on the West Coast