Notices

OPA Camden, NJ Race

Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OPA Camden, NJ Race

Boats built for speed take to river

DOUGLAS M. BOVITT/Courier-Post
Spectators watch from the Battleship New Jersey during the Dash for Cash race Sunday on the Delaware River.

By LUIS PUGA
Courier-Post Staff

CAMDEN
Some sounded like jet airplanes, others like hot rods.

But all of the boats that took part in Sunday's Dash for Cash powerboat race on the Delaware River delivered what fans wanted -- speed.

"We are avid race fans, whether it is by water or land," said Branden Stowell, 31, of Chatham, Morris County.

Stowell and his father Ralph, 65, committed themselves to attend the race despite a forecast of rain.

The Stowells, who own their own boat, even were thinking of volunteering to help cordon off sections of the river to other boat traffic.

Fans lined up along the banks of the river and aboard the Battleship New Jersey as 41 boats whizzed by during two races, kicking up white foam wakes and spewing jets of water out of their sterns.

Boats reached up to 80 mph in the first race and 125 mph in the second.

One craft capsized during the first race, but rescue divers were on hand to provide assistance, said race chairman Hedilberto "Ed" Galarza. No one was hurt in the incident, Galarza said.

The Dash for Cash, now in its second year, almost didn't happen Sunday.

It wasn't because of the overcast skies. It was because of a lack of sponsorship.

But then the America Moving Forward Offshore Racing team stepped forward and provided the $26,000 purse.

"That was a beautiful thing," Galarza said.

City Council President Angel Fuentes said he liked the idea of seeing family entertainment on the Camden Waterfront.

"I think it's breathtaking," he said.

"We want to let people know we have a potential as a tourist spot."

For the Stowells, the trip to Camden provided them an opportunity to tour the battleship.

They plan to return.

"I want my daughter to see this," Branden Stowell said.

Erica McCargo, 33, and Frank Taylor, 39, said they come from Cherry Hill each weekend to walk along the waterfront.

Although they don't consider themselves boat racing fans, they stopped to watch as low-flying rescue helicopters chased the racers around the 4 1/2-mile oval course.

"We always stumble onto something," McCargo said.

Mike Delmar, 50, of Medford, said he attended last year's race and plans to continue going to the waterfront as long as there is racing to watch.

"I'll support this no matter what," Delmar said.