What are you doing about it??

Notices

What are you doing about it??

Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,718 Likes on 3,789 Posts
Default What are you doing about it??

While many teams are looking for sponsors, and a positive way to promote the sport, and gathering new fans, how many have thought about setting up a display booth at the
national boat shows, there is one in atlanta coming up,
and it might be a great place for area teams to promote themselves and the sport.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What are you doing about it??

Pete has a good point, I would bet the boat shows would give free space to a race team in exchange for an autograph session and then use it to promote the show.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

About 8yrs or more ago I participated in the Miller Motorsports Show in Pennsylvania. I was there with board members Smyth1 and 1waterboy1. At that time they were trying to get Coors Light to sponsor the Team for the season. While the overall agenda didn't play through the spectators of the show were amazed by the sport. Now remember this was a 32' Hustler, imagine if there was a Super V or Super Cat in one of these shows. Definitely a great way to promote a team and the sport. More should follow this if the cost is not to high.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the spirit of promoting the sport, Talkoffshore will post all team links if submitted.

We will also provide a free blog site if a team does not have a website and wants to keep fans updated on the teams activities.

All press releases will be published if submitted.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Registered

Pete,

That's a great idea to promote both sponsors and our sport.

I'm working with one of our sponsors from last year who has asked if we'd display our boat at one of the boat shows they're planning on participating in this next year. In fact, this particular sponsor posted info on our team toward the end of last year on their web site. The only reason I'm not mentioning the sponsor here is because I haven't signed them for next year just yet and I don't want to jinx anything. Nonetheless, they're excited about supporting our team in 2006 and I think they could be a big player in offshore racing in the future. We can only hope.

I'm also working a deal with an up and coming country music star (not signed yet, so not mentioned). He's interested in using our boat as part of his promotional display when signing autographs and selling CDs during an air show this spring. Hey, I like airplanes as much as I like boats...but for some reason I though a race boat would be cheaper than an acrobatic airplane. Nonetheless, it's a great opportunity for us to promote our sport to another group of folks that enjoy watching fast, high flying action.

Sean
Old 01-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Race Fast, Race Safe!!!!
Platinum Member

At the Cleveland Boat show last year, GLOPRA had an OSS Super Cat in the booth (yes, it was a big booth), as well as a P-class boat. It was a huge hit. 2 years ago, we had a P-1 cat, a Bat Boat, and one of the first Dragons. We are looking to set up something like that again for this year. Race boats are great for drawing a crowd. Come see us at the boat show and see what is coming up for the year ahead, or check out the website (www.glopra.com).
Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

On the boat show's, A little advise....you need to do this 6 months + ahead of time for the big ones....we have been in contact with 8 boat shows over 6 months...Miami Boat Show was impossible...even with us being with the Coast Guard....we could not even get a educational booth to promote boating safety...

It's a great way to promote your sponsors and racing...but have a game plan...and get as many people to pull strings you can get....We are now scheduling are team for 2007 shows so we have spots....

But also look at events other then boating events....there are a number of car shows, concerts, and city events that draw big numbers...having your boat on display is something no one else has there and is different...most promoters will do anything to draw people..

If you go to your local city's web sites, you can pull up there schedule for there events...you will normally be dealling with one rep for all the events the city puts on....you will see once you get a working relationship with them, they will give you leads for sponsorships...that's how they raise the money for there events....

Another way is to contact some company's were you will be racing and see if you can put your boat on display for a few hours during the racing weekend...$300 + dollars for a few hours at a site at least pays for some of your expenses not to mention you are promoting you team and the sport...

Just some thought....
Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

We have placed our #57 Super Vee on many displays, spoken at Girls Inc, Boys & Girls Club in some race cities and statewide exhibits, tradeshows and events, but its expensive to travel, and the cost involved to promote the sports and to attract more sponsors is getting more expensive. We do alot for the sport we love and have fun all year with the boat to attract spectators.We have t shirts we sell, hero cards, posters, and offer rides for special event fund raisers. We do alot to promote the team and get press. We also try to keep a professional imagine and maybe just change the attitude about racers in general. For the love of the sport is what its all about - if more teams did more for the positive of the sport we all would win. Its not just the richman racing. More teams are average working class doing what they love! ..Attracting sponsors takes all teams and it takes all teams to maintain a positive professionalism attitude to improve the sport in the public eyes. Sometimes we put the boat on display at truck dealers, and work with radio to promote. My two cents. Lisa Matthews .. Soon I'll pay for my own OSO name again. (used Billys this last time)

Last edited by SCRAPMAN1; 01-04-2006 at 01:12 PM.