Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
How much cushion in a P boat? >

How much cushion in a P boat?

Notices

How much cushion in a P boat?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much cushion in a P boat?

This is boat racing, not stopwatch racing. Watching most of the P5 class slow down at the start/finish in KW so they wouldn't break out was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever witnessed. Sorry.
I didn't slow down
Old 01-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Registered

Scott did not stop ,he broke out the oars and paddled like hell.
James
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Scotty, I think some people need to strap up just once and race a P5 boat. Then they will understand.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard all the same debates in sportsman dragracing about racing against computers, delay boxes ect... index racing makes it possible for the average Joe to compete. We'd all like to run real racing "fastest guy wins" classes. I've done both. But bottom line is that is nowhere for a guy to get started. With out entry level classes/sportsman, you'll have no pros.

Would I just be in the way or a hazard, if I tried to enter a 70mph boat? I'd really like to get my feet wet and try this before busting the piggy bank.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by Underdog88; 01-04-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Registered

Smitty you are correct everyone should strap up or shutup,P -5 is a tight class.
James P4-20
Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered

Underdog are you saying P class racers are not Pros?
James
Old 01-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Underdog88
I've heard all the same debates in sportsman dragracing about racing against computers, delay boxes ect... index racing makes it possible for the average Joe to compete. We'd all like to run real racing "fastest guy wins" classes. I've done both. But bottom line is that is nowhere for a guy to get started. With out entry level classes/sportsman, you'll have no pros.

Would I just be in the way or a hazard, if I tried to enter a 70mph boat? I'd really like to get my feet wet and try this before busting the piggy bank.

Thanks
Mark
Underdog.....

Im assuming, by your profile, you will be running a Chris Craft Scorpion that may only run 70 mph. If I recall, they were 37 feet. I dont remember if they were made smaller. In that case you would have to run P-4. Yes, you would be too slow for that class, No, you would not be in the way. Its still a good way to get your feet wet and decide if you want to dump more power into your boat or buy a boat that is already setup for a specific class. Sometimes the latter, is the better way to go. In the log run, buying a boat already setup, is cheaper than converting a pleasure boat. I learned that the hard way as did many other guys on the board.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Bruce,
I need to update my profile... It's a 30 Velocity now. It has bravos/IMCO lowers, Hyd steering and K tabs. Only 454s w/some work done.
Buying a race boat is not an option for me at this time. I need to race it and still have it as a pleasure boat. If that's not do-able I'll have to just be a spectator or vol. boat.
Thanks for your input.
Mark
Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

I agree, my Brother and I never used a stopwatch.So I went to the store and bought a computer, a stopwatch is to hard to hold hauling azz.
James
Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

Mark, I think you are looking for a fight that is not here. As far as credibility goes, we earn it. I was not attacking you, those days are over. I was the one who asked if you wanted to get involved. There are occasions where you have to watch your speed in P class. And other times where you can go for all you have. In Key west you have three different courses in one so it is difficult to prop for the day. i would say in 90 % of our races you are wide open. Bruce, I think Underdog has a 30 Velocity

Quick Reply: How much cushion in a P boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.