How much cushion in a P boat? >

How much cushion in a P boat?

Notices

How much cushion in a P boat?

Old 01-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much cushion in a P boat?

As a veteran motorcycle drag racer, when we raced in the sportsman/index classes (similar to P classes) several years back we always built the bikes with some cushion. For example... if we were racing Super Gas, a 9.9 second index, we needed to be able to run that elapsed time at any track, in any conditions anywhere in the country. So we would build the bike to run 9.3 - 9.5 in ideal conditions, then slow the bike down as needed at any givin race track/weather conditions.

So... in P-4 where you need to average 75mph laps, how fast does the boat need to run flat out to be competitive? I'd assume you loose speed in the corners and have to make it up in the straights. What is typical? Where do I need to be to be competitive? Not looking to be a sandbagger... just competitive. Be sides I don't even know what my new boat will run yet. I'm told 70ish, so I'd have some work to do anyway.

Thanks for sharing!
Mark
Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much cushion in a P boat?

Your thoughts are in the right direction. Dial the boat in to be at the upper edge of the bracket speeds.

I believe it's all based on prop x gear ratio x rpm calc. Smitty should answer this one for you.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 AM
VIP Member

You need to run 80. We will regulate your speed at 80. So if the boat is capable of going faster, you will only be crashing on your limiter. If the boat is a little slower, a good crew can make up the difference. Smitty
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

In my humble opinion, If you are running in a 75mph avg lap speed class, in this case (P-4), your boat should be capable of 80 to 85 mph top speed, conditions permitting. We have found, in calm water races, (ie: Cambridge Md, Camden NJ, St Clair Mi., Washington NC to name a few) that our avg speeds have been very close to our max speeds, and many teams broke out. In that case you would have to adjust your setup (props, drive height, rev limiters) So you do not exceed 75 Mph avg lap speed and keep your top speed under 80mph. In moderate to rough water conditions, we very rarely have anyone breaking out of their repective lap speeds.

hope that helps

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 01-04-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Registered

sorry Smitty ...You beat me to it
Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you guys have lap timers/stopwatch or something onboard to keep track of your lap times?
Great info.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you guys have lap timers/stopwatch or something onboard to keep track of your lap times?
Great info.
We dont, but it is not a bad idea to have a spotter on shore or have your third man keep lap times.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered

Some boats do, I tried once but can't seem to stay in boat and look at a stop watch at the same time
Old 01-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottB
Some boats do, I tried once but can't seem to stay in boat and look at a stop watch at the same time
I thought Haggin had an atomic clock installed for you in the third bedroom of the Outer Limits
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Yea but when was the last time you saw Key West dead flat? Add some bumps, you had a real competitive race. Hi Mark.

Quick Reply: How much cushion in a P boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.