Notices

OPA speed brackets

Old 01-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPA speed brackets

OK one more time for those of us who are a little slow (me)
How do you calculate the speeds to determine which class a boat will race? I understand the rpm x prop pitch formula but what % is allowed for prop slip? I am looking for top speed and lap averages
Thanks mw
Old 01-06-2006, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

Default Re: OPA speed brackets

Ok

P5 65 average 70 max
P4 75 average 80 max
P3 85 average 90 max
P2 95 average 100 max
P1 105 average 115 max
10 % slip
If at the race we do your calc and your boat is off. We will run it with you and make the proper adjustment as we are aware all boats have a different slip. These were the rules for 2005. And they will be the same for 2006. I hope this helps you out. If not Email me Smittymarine@aol. Smitty
Old 01-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

Anthony had done a great job with props and rev.limiters.The P5 class are all within 1 to 2 mph.As seen in Camden, 1st place place postion changed 4 times.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant get any simpler than that. Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

The complete rule book is on the "paperwork" page of www.oparacing.com.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Re: OPA speed brackets

Mike if we run your boat in the current rule configuration,we have to run in P1 against Jay Muller in his 40 FT Motion,or if we watch our GPS We might be able to run P2,With the top speed of your boat and the rules it will I am sorry to say, hard to be competitive,damn you have Bill Gazzell running a 30 ft Spectre running in P3 or P 4,100 mph boat,at least when it ran with its previous owner,twins running against singles is all this as we have already proven fair,no,.get a solid book of rules ,Smitty told us last year that the twins would not be in the same class,but you still have a 38 footer running against a 27 foot single,and you have in P1 a 40 foot motion watching how fast he goes because he is racing a 36 skater with half the power,that is not right,put all the boats in there proper classes and alot the of the problems will take care of themselves,Why in p1 do you have a max speed that actually is much slower than some of the boats are capable of,you have one boat that can run 130 plus and one that can run 100,not fair to have a boat run against a top speed rather than actuall racing for who had the best set up for that particular race on that week it takes all of that out of the equastion,but then again some people want to be able to have just enough edge so when that need it they can stay out infront,jUST MY 02
Old 01-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Registered

Re: OPA speed brackets

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
Mike if we run your boat in the current rule configuration,we have to run in P1 against Jay Muller in his 40 FT Motion,or if we watch our GPS We might be able to run P2,With the top speed of your boat and the rules it will I am sorry to say, hard to be competitive,damn you have Bill Gazzell running a 30 ft Spectre running in P3 or P 4,100 mph boat,at least when it ran with its previous owner,twins running against singles is all this as we have already proven fair,no,.get a solid book of rules ,Smitty told us last year that the twins would not be in the same class,but you still have a 38 footer running against a 27 foot single,and you have in P1 a 40 foot motion watching how fast he goes because he is racing a 36 skater with half the power,that is not right,put all the boats in there proper classes and alot the of the problems will take care of themselves,Why in p1 do you have a max speed that actually is much slower than some of the boats are capable of,you have one boat that can run 130 plus and one that can run 100,not fair to have a boat run against a top speed rather than actuall racing for who had the best set up for that particular race on that week it takes all of that out of the equastion,but then again some people want to be able to have just enough edge so when that need it they can stay out infront,jUST MY 02
I'm sorry, but tired of the whinning.

I'm one of those 27' single motor only 425hp that ran against 38 foot boats with twins................most fun I had racing all year!

It ain't a perfect system, but its the one we got right now, try to make the best of it. If you don't enjoy speed bracket racing build a SV or SC and race OSS or SBI where you have spec class racing, thats not what P-Class is all about.

I'll tell you what, I cover your OPA entry fee

Brian

Last edited by Faster Daddy; 01-07-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:28 AM
VIP Member

Bill first of all, we said we would not run the twin engines in P5 and we did not. P4 is twin or single. If you came and watched. Every dog has his day. In the ocean the Big twins have an advantage. In the calm they are sitting ducks. Camden for instance. Dominated by single 27 ft boats. Cambridge, twin 30 ft Panther wins with single 27 on his A@@. Point Pleasant, Lavey craft F1 boat single 425 ran right with Auigie. As far as Muller, We Propped him down for Camden and ran P1 just to complete the field with the ageement of the other P1 Boats. Cambridge he ran PX . Everyone wants to win. And place themselves where the feel they can. We also work towards that end. Nothing personal Bill, but for all your comments in the past years, you still havn't hit the water. I hear no complaints from the racers. Your input is more than welcome, but common lets get it wet. Smitty
Old 01-07-2006, 08:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Bill, your not talking about our boat again? The boat must be getting FAMOUS! Anyone want to buy her? Bill? Good starter boat.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Smitty and Augie,I am not trying to piss you off,I have a boat that I can run I just cant see racing it in P1 or P2 where it should be because even when I try to prop it down it does not fit in the classes you have unfortunetly.I am a huge fan of the P classes,but feel there are some needed changes,thats all.Also we were told last year that the twins and singles would not run together in P4,correct me if Mark H and I were not told that Smitty,that is the main reason that Eddie Simmons has not been racing with OPA,as for Faster Daddy,I am not whining,I am stating facts that in fact would benifit you,it should not matter what the water conditions are you should be competitive against one another week in and week out,Period.

Quick Reply: OPA speed brackets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.