Notices

Throttling a race boat

Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Throttling a race boat

Originally Posted by Ron P
The yellow Xtreme - Motion boat?

If so, fill the ballast tank and keep the hammer down.....
Wow Ron, you are good, One of the owners ask if I would be interested and like any kid I jumped then my senses came back. I'll be doing some sea time in the bay and see if I can "hang with it"
Old 03-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzilla
What kinda boat do you run now for pleasure? It is rythm that changes with every sea condition.
You asked for this..............a 34 Silverton Express and a 40 Formula F402sr1. Neither are fast by any means but willing to learn something new.

Maybe I'll have to have a long lunch with Art Lilly real soon and ask him for some pointers. We all know he knows how to run the sticks (I'll just have to learn not to brake it)
Old 03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,735 Likes on 3,794 Posts

learn your driver's habits, bad and good. Most winning teams think alike, and react to one another. learning this will either bond you as a team, or split you up real fast.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not throttling the boat. You are more like a rev limiter. Keep in mind you want the prop to leave the water and enter the water at the same rpm. Over throttling tears things up. Jr learned to throttle blindfolded. You can feel the boat easier than you can read the water." Luke use the force" Take your time, it takes a while to get use to. Smitty
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Strap in, shut up and hold on. That's one of the safest boats made. You'll have the time of your life.

See ya in Ocean City and Cambridge..... Bring your sponge, loosers wash the winners boats in OPA!
Attached Thumbnails Throttling a race boat-candywashsmall.jpg  
Old 03-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
Strap in, shut up and hold on. That's one of the safest boats made. You'll have the time of your life.

See ya in Ocean City and Cambridge..... Bring your sponge, loosers wash the winners boats in OPA!
I guess Augie never has to wash his ..............Maybe this year Augie

They want to do about 6-10 events this year, when is the first in your town?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Maybe it just me, but as a throttle-man I feel I'm responsible for the attitude of the boat, keeping it trimmed but not over trimmed, running the boat level, I feel the driver is responsible for keeping the boat balanced side to side, I do run the tabs but as little as possible, a good driver can worked the wheel and counteract the waves coming from the side. It takes team work. And remember the worst wave to be on is the one from the boat in front of you (ok Randy start the jokes now), the waves coming from the other boats are the lease predictable. Just my .02.

Eddie
Old 03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

The key is to fly level. Not nose high like Phantom likes to do..
Attached Thumbnails Throttling a race boat-oc-md-95small.jpg  
Old 03-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

if we run opa you all bet buy all the sponges you can get . augies is going to need em
Old 03-10-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When a mega-millionaire gets into this sport, they usually head towards a hired gun like Gilbreath, Tomlinson, etc. Those guys always seem to be on the throttles. I think there's a reason for that. I've always thought throttling was the tougher job.

I think I'd start with the roles reversed for a little while.

Leraning the basics from someone is alot easier done by seeing than having someone tell you. Learning to throttle is probably going to be easier while doing nothing more than holding the boat in a straight line in open water. Then you get a feel for the boat running at racing speeds. You can also see what to do in alot of different situations. Then you can start on the sticks at half-speed and work your way up. You'll also get a feel for how what the throttleman is doing affects how the driver is doing his job.

Also, it's way more than being an on-board human rev limiter. You have to be watching for turns and keeping on course, you have to read the water and anticipate what's changing in wind, current and swell activity. Mostly, you have to watch out for other guys who may not be watching out for you. That's why it's such a rush.

Quick Reply: Throttling a race boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.