Notices

Hydroplane Burns on Race Course

Old 08-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hydroplane Burns on Race Course

Monday, August 7, 2006

Hydros Notebook: Explosion ends U-21's day
Aylesworth expects boat to be ready for S.D.

By MICHAEL MCLAUGHLIN
P-I REPORTER

Heat 2B was the second race on Sunday, but it was a different kind of heat that spelled disaster for the U-21 The Plumbing Joint, driven by rookie unlimited driver Kevin Aylesworth.

Aylesworth was heading into the north turn when he heard his boat's turbine explode. When he looked in his rear-view mirror, he saw flames shooting out of both sides of the cowling.

Joshua Trujillo / P-I
Crews work to extinguish the U-21 The Plumbing Joint, which burst into flames during Heat 2B. Rookie driver Kevin Aylesworth bruised his knee escaping from the burning boat, but was otherwise uninjured.
It was a spectacular view with black smoke billowing above the yellow flames. Not many people in the pit area had seen a turbine burn before.

Aylesworth activated the boat's fire suppression system, but it had little effect.

"The fire just kind of laughed at it," he said.

The flames increased quickly, and Aylesworth decided it was time to bail.

"I opened the cockpit because it was getting a little toasty in there," he said. "All I saw was flames everywhere, so I jumped out and into the lake as quick as possible."

Aylesworth bruised the top of his knee escaping, but was otherwise uninjured. The San Diego-based boat has four weeks to prepare for the race on Mission Bay.

"That's our home base," he said. "We'll fly a bunch of guys in to fix the boat if we have to. We'll be ready for San Diego."

Last year, Aylesworth was seriously injured racing in San Diego while still piloting his unlimited light, the UL-5 Freedom Racing Team.

"At this point, money doesn't matter," said Emily Estes, the U-21 public relations coordinator. "Four weeks is enough time to build a new boat, but I don't think we'll have to go that far."

GROWTH SPURT: The Unlimited Light Hydroplane Racing Association is now in its fifth year of existence and continues to grow each season. A separate entity that isn't under the sanctions of the American Power Boat Association, the ULHRA has a strong presence in Washington, with five of the series' eight races here.

"Our group is healthy and it's very simple why," said John Lynch, public relations director and voice of the unlimited lights. "The interest level from the teams, race sites and potential owners is growing tremendously. In the past, we called sites to race at them. Now, they're calling us."

The group has 22 to 24 teams active across the nation, with 13 new teams this year. The goal is to increase the number of races throughout the country with a balance among regions. Having five of eight races in one state makes it harder for teams from outside the West Coast to compete.

The ULHRA also has the G-class hydroplanes that run on piston-powered engines, making them the loudest boats in the pits.

"The G-class is a fan-favorite already because of the sensationalism of the engines," Lynch said. "Motor sports imply sound and the fans love the noise."
Attached Thumbnails Hydroplane Burns on Race Course-450seafair_fire_1.jpg  
Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hydroplane Burns on Race Course

Phantom...

The boat in question looks more like a Unlimited lite more than a Unlimited...The distance from the cockpit to the front of the sponsons is very short....

I'm glad everyone is OK...and wish I could get back to watching the Unlimiteds. Especially from the tower at Roostertail turn in Detroit...

Thanks for the info
Old 08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CNN has a video of the incident.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in this sport helping my dad first with Rescue then with course setting. (Tri-Cities race) I miss those big Merlin V12's. Glad he made it out ok.