Where is Pepe Llama ? Puerto Rico Offshore >

Where is Pepe Llama ? Puerto Rico Offshore

Notices

Where is Pepe Llama ? Puerto Rico Offshore

Old 10-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where is Pepe Llama ? Puerto Rico Offshore

He is the one that can get offshore racing back to Puerto Rico. Back in June when the guys of OSS came to the island They put a great show and I know Llama and Joey where involved in every aspect of the event. But why no put the same intrest on push the local offshore circuit like it was in the early 80's to early 00's . The sponsors are here evidently from the San Juan race and the racers too . All we need is the helping hand of someone with the expirience to get the local offshore circuit "PROA ,PROTOUR" back the way it was in the glory days 5 races per year. Who knows maybe 2007 is our year?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Where is Pepe Llama ? Puerto Rico Offshore

Hello Long BlockBenny,
I know what you mean , I watched many race down on the Island when I was living there. What is going on with the Don Q boats? Did Felix and Juan S give up racing?

Be great to see a National race on the circuit again there.

Maybe make the race in more open water and make the crews work some.
How about from Mayaguez to Mona Island and back
or from Fajardo to either Vieques or Culebra and back.
Be interesting.

Thank you
Keep us posted on PROA.

Jim
Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Registered

Hello Dammmagnum and to all who read this post. I was born in this island and raised here, and I grew up watching the offshore races in city of Fajardo where they use to do the international race in december. It didn't matter on what city they make the race it was full and I mean full of people and the Coast Guard had their hands full with thousads of spactators boats. The San Juan race , a venew that was raced two times a year could get over 250,000 dry spectators on race day, but never an incident. If i'am correct the last race was held in Fajardo area at the Conquistador resort in 2001. Back in January 2006 many of the guys that use to race here where excited when they find out there was gonna be a offshore race here, only to find out that none of the boats in Puerto Rico didn't make the specs in any class. This is not OSS fault that any racer here could not participate, but if there's poeple ready to race why not organized it again.

ps: The Fajardo to Culebra race was famous during the 80's but spectators could only enjoy the start and finish and I dont think that is good for sponsors...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello LongBlockBenny

its a shame that the Island so rich in Offshore racing History does not have a Race by one of the racing groups each year
If one group did that,, the Racers on the Island could have race boats that would make the Specs and maybe PROA could use the same specs also?

Understand what you mean, about the Fajardo to Culebra Race, but maybe some thing like a Fajardo to Roosevelt Roads or Palmas Del Mar to Vieques and then back along the coast to Farjardo.. have some open water races and not the inshore races that we have the last few years.
Or a Mayaguez to Aguadilla and back race, or Mayaguez to Boqueron and back,, lots of viewing area along the coast line.
Think about the way the races in Europe races a few years ago, the around Italy to Monte Carlo race.
What about a Round Puerto Rico Race, starting in San Juan and then going all around the Island with stop over points/legs along the way
and points for each leg of the race with the Grand winner having the most points at the end.
Just a thought

Thank you.

Jim
Old 10-19-2006, 06:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

As on of the boats that raced last year what a great place! The fans sure loved the boats and the racers loved the island.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viva Puerto Rico!!!
We love the island and the people.We hope to race again next year in front of "El Morro".

Wil
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

any news of OSS coming back this year? We will love to have you back and see if the local racers decide to organize again at last...