Notices

Mercury V Class

Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is up next. I am just finishing a couple projects before I get to that one. It has been drawn for a while and we are testing the gears now.

What ratio do you want? 1.55 -1.56- 1.57- 1.70- 1.88. I need a ballpark.

pat W
Old 03-24-2007, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the lower. What type of wheel? Bravo configuration or #6
Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

The lower is open. I have both drawn. I originally thought the guy that already had a bravo prop ect....just wants a drive that will not puke with minimal changes after upgrading his motor. That is why I based everything on no mod replacement.

As far as performance not much has been exploited with driveheight because of the "fuse". I am of the opinion a big hub wheel/cleaver will outdo a #6 style. But I could be wrong. I am not a prop guy. From what I have seen they just try to sell you whats on the shelf. We have always asked what do you want.

pat W
Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Default Mercury V Class

Back in 2000, along with Steve Curtis, we created ProVee. It looked simple. Take the existing Class 2 monohulls, which were sitting around doing nothing because the Victory Team's BMW powered Class 2 catamarans had made the series a non-event. Create a set of simple rules for the diesel boats (power-to-weight) and the same for petrol engines (power-to-weight). At the opening race in 2001 we had just two teams bother to turn up! Gradually, we managed to get the numbers up to around 10 but it was like pulling hen's teeth. We gave the teams free hotel rooms at each event, free fuel, a full international TV package but still they weren't happy. The end result was that in 2005 the series died through lack of interest from the teams. I then decided to go and create my own team and support the Powerboat P1 series because, like it or lump it, they are the only show left in town because Class 1 is ridiculously expensive and serves no purpose whatsoever for the marine industry. At least P1 offers a production class (akin to Factory 2) as well as an Evolution (modified) class. As for the "new" Mercury engined V class, I can see the rush to join and the line is twice round the block already ...
Old 03-25-2007, 02:49 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Chris,

How is it going getting the rules changed to match what you have done in Europe? It looks like the racing is pretty good in P1.

pat W
Old 03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shifter
The lower is open. I have both drawn. I originally thought the guy that already had a bravo prop ect....just wants a drive that will not puke with minimal changes after upgrading his motor. That is why I based everything on no mod replacement.

As far as performance not much has been exploited with driveheight because of the "fuse". I am of the opinion a big hub wheel/cleaver will outdo a #6 style. But I could be wrong. I am not a prop guy. From what I have seen they just try to sell you whats on the shelf. We have always asked what do you want.

pat W
Dry sump, 1.35 ratio with ssm style lowers and cleavers for under 20k per side please w/ Bam tranny. Ill take 2. Can you throw together a package deal for some 850's at cost???
Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Registered

Default Mercury V class

The P1 guys stated from the very beginning that their racing series would be for monohulls and would be to encourage production classes to take part. It appears to be working although this year will be a tough test for their technical team as we have a lot of good American product challenging the Italians, in particular Mr Buzzi, and they don't like getting beaten. P1 looks to have a field well in excess of 20 boats this year and with US manufacturers like Donzi, Outerlimits, Hustler, Dragon and Formula all involved, something must be right. All we need are factory efforts from Skater and Fountain to make it quite a bun fight. Then there's talk that the successful Honda UK national series, which Steve Curtis presides over, will support the P1 events not just in the UK but possibly in Europe so there's another 30 boats (evenly split between the 150 and 225 classes) making up a decent weekend's race action. Class 1, or the WPPA as it is now called having distanced themselves from the UIM, is out on a limb in many respects and will be looking over their shoulders when the race venues start assessing what's real value for money and what draws in the race fans. Only Norway and the Middle East have definite Class 1 races and that's because each of those countries has its own race teams working the deals!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:31 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Lostin,
Talk to Merc for the 850, and Mark for the Bam. If we get in the middle we will have to charge for it.

We will work on the price but we are keeping the manufacturing in the states.
pat W
Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris -
Thanks for your insight.

Now that class 1 has departed from UIM, any talk, or hopes or wishful thinking that a new cat series in conjunction with P1 will emerge? Something like class 3 (superstock) class 2? (cat light which is raced in australia, or at least was or tried to) and supercat or PX extreme like here? I'm going to grad school but when i graduate in 2 years I hope to have some racing to look foward to. Eventually throttling class-1 was my ultimate goal, but that appears to be going in the wrong direction, and my gf doesnt want to move to Dubai.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:36 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Chris,

Is there any talk about having some P1 races in the states? Maybe a world cup end of year event?

pat W

Quick Reply: Mercury V Class

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.