Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
"United We Race"...What Does It Mean? >

"United We Race"...What Does It Mean?

Notices

"United We Race"...What Does It Mean?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "United We Race"...What Does It Mean?

Seems like everyone has picked up on the “United We Race” slogan; it also seems like everyone has a different opinion on what “United We Race” means.

Is there some untold formula being put into action that only a few are aware, or is this just another catch-all phrase that happens to fit the mood of the Offshore community….looking for answers with no clear direction or leadership in which to follow.

I would like to know what you think this slogan means to you and under what circumstances you think it could be achieved.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts….

Ken
Old 08-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered

As a racers mom, I would like to see all the sanctions racing as one, not all over the place. Seeing big, small, canopy and non canopy boats all running the same race as a big family. Like it used to be years ago. Thats what " united we race "means to me.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:19 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken D,

It was started by Haggin with his determination to try to get everyone to race together. In no way is it a derogatory statement. It is a vision in Haggin's mine as it is with many, many others in the racing community along with the fans and myself also.

I was once told a very awesome statement that I have always tried to put forward in my life since hearing it. "ONE TEAM, ONE DIRECTION. And with that statement the phrase there is no "I" in TEAM also applies.

I for one do not have all the answers but this SPORT it far to GREAT for the EGOS to keep ruining it. Haggin does it for the love of the sport as should everyone else that has any involvment in this sport.

I know this sport may not have the ability to be Nascar but for christ sake have you ever seen some of the the sports they show on the ESPN channels now. It absolutely boggles my mine. Not that I am trying to put down those other sports but we all know the excitement and rush that comes with Offshore. It is unlike any that I have ever been involved with.

So with that short interpresentation I hope it is much clearer for those who may have not understood the "UNITED WE RACE". I say LIVE IT, LOVE IT, BE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Racer
Racer

What "United We Race" means to me. 1st pick one of the groups you feel most comfortable with and don't just show up with your boat and start knocking things, instead ask what you can do to help your group. Put up posters, bring your team to a local veterans hospital, entertain and mingle with the fans, laugh and smile a lot, big smiles Give out hats and tee shirts. Promote the event and your sport.
2nd, Don't miss a single race. It's very easy to get in a rut. Miss one and the rest are easy. My Family knows what I do, if something falls on a race day, I imediately call, tell them my situation and send a gift. My group needs my attendance. The one and only reason to miss a race is a family crisis.
3rd. always help your fellow racers. If they need a part or help in some way don't hesitate, get them running even if they run against you. The more boats the better the show.
4th build your organization to be the envy of all others. Emotions run high around a race site, keep a cool head and think positive and the fans will feed off it and enjoy your races and will want more. Don't let them see bickering and back biting, clean your own back yard and keep it private.
I could go on but I'm getting tired. If all the groups did this, it would be easier to have major events together such as the Worlds and so on. The group I race with lives by "United We Race" now the trick is to have all the groups doing the same,
I believe it is possible, Louie
Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by louietherigger
The group I race with lives by "United We Race"

Yes .. yes we do .... Im pretty sure we had to have set some kind of record last weekend for race teams helping race teams with everything from tools to parts to different guys in different boats ... just to make sure everyone made it out on the water. Very proud to be a part of it ...
Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't let them see bickering and back biting, clean your own back yard and keep it private.
Amen!!!

Louie,
Your whole post was very eloquent and well put.

Trent
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by KLAATU
First time I heard that phrase ,was on a spring day in central florida '04 .
The day prior ,I was on the pier of the "three bannanas " with an entity , whom I consider to be one the prettiest women i've ever met .
We talked racing till my tennies glowed in the dark . Next day , I heard it . I,ll never forget . We'll race united or fall apart . Ron Polli .
I remember that night very well.

United We Race came from the way I signed an email to Haggin many months ago. John took that motto and ran with it for all it's worth.

What does it mean? It means divided we fall. It means that those who believe in the concept that we can all race together again are willing to make consessions to make it happen. OPA and OSS have been able to do a couple of races together. The Pro Series and OSS have raced together, the Pro Series and OPA have raced together, so we are getting some traction.

Smitty and I will be working on a United We Race schedule for OPA and OSS in 2008, hopefully we'll do more than 2 races together.

Ken, for United We Race to work on all sides, people need to be able to sit down and talk with each other while having a true desire to work together for the betterment of the sport as a whole. This means that some individual agendas need to be compromised. Some people have adopted this attitude while others have not.

I've said it before. If the racers wanted to unite this sport under one banner, they could do it tommorow.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
I remember that night very well.

United We Race came from the way I signed an email to Haggin many months ago. John took that motto and ran with it for all it's worth.

What does it mean? It means divided we fall. It means that those who believe in the concept that we can all race together again are willing to make consessions to make it happen. OPA and OSS have been able to do a couple of races together. The Pro Series and OSS have raced together, the Pro Series and OPA have raced together, so we are getting some traction.

Smitty and I will be working on a United We Race schedule for OPA and OSS in 2008, hopefully we'll do more than 2 races together.

Ken, for United We Race to work on all sides, people need to be able to sit down and talk with each other while having a true desire to work together for the betterment of the sport as a whole. This means that some individual agendas need to be compromised. Some people have adopted this attitude while others have not.

I've said it before. If the racers wanted to unite this sport under one banner, they could do it tommorow.
A M E N RON
Old 08-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hopefully after the end of the 2007 Offshore Powerboat Racing season and World Championships, 2008 will bring every one's vision of United We Race. The problem seems to be ego's and a couple of people having to much control and of the sport. APBA/SBIP seems to be controlling there own agenda and are not willing to bend a bite for the betterment of the entire sport. I have no interest in Offshore Powerboat Racing as an owner or racer, my interest is that of an Offshore Powerboat Race fan only and if you don't think that isn't important then that is a big mistake. Race fans are just as important as the owners, racers, vendors, promoters and sponsors. We are all dependant on each other and if you don't have everyone working together then everyone suffers as a whole. United We Race is the dream of all of us, whether you are a racer or race fan. I can tell you that some of the best Offshore Powerboat Racing I have ever seen is when OPA, the Jersey Boyz, OPS, OSS and POPRA raced together at the St. Clair River Classic this year. To me that is what United We Race means. I wish every race had the field of boats that I saw race and to do that APBA/SBIP must bury the hatch with OSS and vice-a-versa. Once that happens then it will truly be United We Race.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 PM
VIP Member

What "United We Race" means to me. 1st pick one of the groups you feel most comfortable with and don't just show up with your boat and start knocking things, instead ask what you can do to help your group. Put up posters, bring your team to a local veterans hospital, entertain and mingle with the fans, laugh and smile a lot, big smiles Give out hats and tee shirts. Promote the event and your sport.
2nd, Don't miss a single race. It's very easy to get in a rut. Miss one and the rest are easy. My Family knows what I do, if something falls on a race day, I imediately call, tell them my situation and send a gift. My group needs my attendance. The one and only reason to miss a race is a family crisis.
3rd. always help your fellow racers. If they need a part or help in some way don't hesitate, get them running even if they run against you. The more boats the better the show.
4th build your organization to be the envy of all others. Emotions run high around a race site, keep a cool head and think positive and the fans will feed off it and enjoy your races and will want more. Don't let them see bickering and back biting, clean your own back yard and keep it private.
I could go on but I'm getting tired. If all the groups did this, it would be easier to have major events together such as the Worlds and so on. The group I race with lives by "United We Race" now the trick is to have all the groups doing the same,
I believe it is possible, Louie
And to think they call you The Rigger. I vote for Louie the Preacher. Well put Louie, you never cease to amaze me. Smitty

Quick Reply: "United We Race"...What Does It Mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.