2008 Offshore Racing Schedule >

2008 Offshore Racing Schedule

Notices

2008 Offshore Racing Schedule

Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenD
Like a lot of people, at one time I thought that you needed a helicopter to get the Safety/Rescue Divers in the water as quickly as possible. That was before I was enlightened by someone on the Safety/Rescue team and told that deployment of the personnel from the helicopter should be the last thing to expect in the event of an incident. I’m sure my face had the same bewildered look that many who are reading this have. As my eyes lost their daze, my Safety Angel explained:

On-water Safety/Rescue would be the first in the water to assist in an extraction…if necessary…and helicopter personnel would only jump if additional assistance was not available from other on-water resources. The helicopter personnel would stay in the air in case they where needed at another incident later.

I had never really thought about it…but it does make sense….once the helicopter divers are in the water, they can’t just get back in the helicopter and be ready for the next incident. Once they jump from the helicopter, the resource is expended and they are no longer avalible for the rest of the race. However, on-water personnel can re-board their Safety/Rescue boat to continue their watch and be ready for the next incident.

The Safety Angle explained that the primary advantage of a helicopter is that it can get from one location on the racecourse to another very quickly. This quick response time reduces the number of Safety/Rescue teams needed to meet the anticipated response time to an incident. The larger and more turns in the racecourse, the more Safety/Rescue teams you need to cover it. That's one reason why SBI prefers the rectangular box racecourse...it's safer than the multi-turn courses. So…the bottom line is...if you have a helicopter, you don’t need as many Safety/Rescue teams on the water.

In order to adequately cover a racecourse, at least one Safety/Rescue team should be able to get to any part of the racecourse in less than…I think he said…three minutes. Safety/Rescue teams are normally stationed near the turns, because that is where most incidents occur.

At races like New York,(a rectangular box racecourse) where there aren’t any helicopters, the response time stays the same. The only difference is the number of Safety/Rescue teams assigned to boats stationed around the racecourse. In New York, there are enough Safety/Rescue boats that a minimum of two boats can respond to any location on the racecourse within the targeted time.

I was told that the main thing to rememberis…the primary objective is to get to an incident as quickly as possible…it’s all about response time…not how the Safety/Rescue team gets there.

I trust these guys…they are professionals…and if our Safety Team says the racecourse is safe…it’s safe….even if I wouldn’t drink the water.
Ken, my intent was never to slight the SBI safety, I have competed in a ton of thier races. Safety is always first. Just that Hudson river, well it aint pretty.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Registered

Agreed....but, New York City....there's nothing like it.

Have a safe trip....and good luck.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Not when you grew up there
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Registered

Is it true....if a BEE's wings get wet..they can't fly....or swim for that matter...

Now Ken...get back to work and put something together....

So you know...I paying Puff a visit this week....time to give Puff the anesthesia shoot so we can start the work.....he'll be under the whole time....
Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Registered

Can't fly...but they can swim...lots of short strokes...just can't do the back stroke.

Still....you gotta watch out for that stinger....Bumble Bees do not like to get wet.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Registered

Now I know your weakness....
Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Race Fast, Race Safe!!!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing
Funny Guy, I am on my way to Ohio. Ya never know.
If it's Northern Ohio, I trust you are gonna call, and we are getting together for some drinks, etc?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 AM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

Ken I agree with Smitty, they are the best. I just like the idea that most of the time they are already overhead, that is some very black water
Old 12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Bill,

I do understand your concerns. I feel the same way about racing in shallow water such as Biloxi. Something in the back of your mind just keeps telling you not to push it too hard.

Looks like overall, Racers have a lot of really good choices and options for 2008. I'm looking forward to seeing you and your family at as many venues as our paths may cross.

Until then,

Happy Holidays, and may Peace be with you.

Ken
Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

OSS Dates have been added to the schedule:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2008 Offshore Race Schedule.pdf (21.8 KB, 134 views)

Quick Reply: 2008 Offshore Racing Schedule

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.