Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS  Can we grow together? >

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Notices

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope this years key west is so good it puts all the teams back on track . sounds like they're ready to work on it .

Last edited by dont,lie,to,me; 09-21-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dont,lie,to,me
i hope this years key west is so good it puts all the teams back on track . sounds like they're ready to work on it .
That is what I would love to see and I hope that, it is what everyone else would love to see also.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Jim....on the % of racers that attend we should look at how many races were put on....

OSS 5
OPA 6
SBI 10 or so....

If ever Org just put on 5 races this year I think the boat count would go up...one of the questions should be, should we have less races...so we could have a better show...

Also in our drivers meeting in Cambridge Smitty said to everyone it has nothing to do with people not liking other Orgs....it comes down to money.....I beleive he said he would have to pay OSS 90k for you guys to come to a race.....I could be wrong but thats what I tought he said....

So it sounds like the money issue should be the first place to start working on....

Who would be responsible to rasie all the prise money for all the class's?
Who would cover the editional expenses with 80 to 90 boats?
Would one org have to pay to have another org come and race at there site?

Once those things are worked out....then I think you would see us racing together in some joint races...

Personlly I don't think a lot of us know the cost that is accured to put on a race, Its very easy to say all we have to do is this, this and this and we all can race together...we are just arm chair quaterbacking here.....I really think Smitty, JC and Ron P really know those answers and it will come down to what they feel is best for the sport and there Org...

This is a good thread....it will really tell us if it is feasible for other Orgs to join up for a few races....

Last edited by MANITIE; 09-22-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gino,
I can update the list if it really matters. I will after all final events are posted. It was OPA 6 events, SBI 6 events, OSS 5. The point wasn't how many as much as commitment. Actually the % of OSS was deceiving. It was diluted by a few events inviting other classes. Cat 850, Cat light were both 100% showing, SVL was near 85%. OPA's strongest class was class 5, SBI's Super V unlimited. Some bounced around not fully supporting any one group.

As far as who pays who? I don't think any club should pay for another to come. I think its more a matter of promoting it as such. A bigger show. Utilizing every ones assets.

Yes, it always about money, but willingness is a big part too.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered

Jim....

I agree....and on the money side.....thats what sounds like whats holding us back.....Its sounds like thats the barrier...so we now know what we all need to work on.....
Old 09-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

You guys might think about going after it a different way, Unite the racers not the org's. If we were committed to racing and not to an org then we could unite the sport. Right now we have too many chiefs and not enough indians.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Registered

Bryanh......I think you are now seeing teams doing exactly what you speak of....teams have a large number of race sites to race in over 3 Orgs.....and some teams are choising what races to attend based on affordablilty and what races will benifit there team the most.....

Last edited by MANITIE; 09-22-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Registered

I wonder...if they waived the registration fee for 1 race...how many more teams would show up...it would be the event of all events!

like the idea..it would be great if people could "Share the sandbox"
Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
As far as who pays who? I don't think any club should pay for another to come. I think its more a matter of promoting it as such. A bigger show. Utilizing every one
Mobilemercman,
After helping Dean (Wahoo) promote the Harrison Township OPA race this year ** I would have to say if any Org. came to us and said we will bring 20/25 extra boats and it will only cost you a extra 100K we would have to decline. The cost just does not justify what they bring to the table.

** and when I say help I mean Dean did 99% of the work, the mans a work animal and he put that event together in approx 3 weeks after the first promoter not only dropped the ball he kicked it down the street so no one else could play with it.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a lot of very good idea's here to toss around, after all it doesn't cost anything to talk.

Quick Reply: SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.