Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS  Can we grow together? >

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Notices

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug's son here....posting on his account!

Just want you all to know you freakin rock, and that without this sport I would not be graduating school right now! This has inspired me to work harder so I can be involved when I'm 30'ish lol..Sometimes I think professionals forget there are fans out there that live for a sport..and mine is marina racing.

Looking forward to watching video highlights on certain websites of Key West....GO JBS!!!!!

Ryan
Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
Mobilemercman,
After helping Dean (Wahoo) promote the Harrison Township OPA race this year ** I would have to say if any Org. came to us and said we will bring 20/25 extra boats and it will only cost you a extra 100K we would have to decline. The cost just does not justify what they bring to the table.

** and when I say help I mean Dean did 99% of the work, the mans a work animal and he put that event together in approx 3 weeks after the first promoter not only dropped the ball he kicked it down the street so no one else could play with it.
Rick, Thank you. I agree with you. IF the goal is to race together then, OPA and SBI could race together, we would easily fit into each other classes. The problem is in the business models. To add OSS it just adds too many classes. To do it right, you would need Two days of racing and that doubles the cost and volunteers needed. Our site, and I suspect others too, can not afford the additional purse required. Bringing 20 extra boats would not do much to generate more sponsors. The difference between 44 and 64 boats doesn't mean much too the locals. If OSS had just 2 premier Classes like Cat Extreme and Vee Extreme and still brought 20 boats that would be something entirely different. To the average on looker there is no difference between SVL and Class 4. The big Cats bring a show in the pits. I know I will take heat for this, but I think the solution is SBI in Florida, OPA Northeast and consoildate the Classes to C1-6 plus Cat Extreme and Vee Extreme. Eight Classes 2 Orgs and a Neutral Worlds that travels to whoever is willing to pay for the show.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Rick, Thank you. I agree with you. IF the goal is to race together then, OPA and SBI could race together, we would easily fit into each other classes. The problem is in the business models. To add OSS it just adds too many classes. To do it right, you would need Two days of racing and that doubles the cost and volunteers needed. Our site, and I suspect others too, can not afford the additional purse required. Bringing 20 extra boats would not do much to generate more sponsors. The difference between 44 and 64 boats doesn't mean much too the locals. If OSS had just 2 premier Classes like Cat Extreme and Vee Extreme and still brought 20 boats that would be something entirely different. To the average on looker there is no difference between SVL and Class 4. The big Cats bring a show in the pits. I know I will take heat for this, but I think the solution is SBI in Florida, OPA Northeast and consoildate the Classes to C1-6 plus Cat Extreme and Vee Extreme. Eight Classes 2 Orgs and a Neutral Worlds that travels to whoever is willing to pay for the show.
Hi Dean!

You said that "The difference between 44 boats and 64 boats doesn't mean much to the locals". If you are talking about the amount of race boats attending a race, I would have to disagree with you. What race fan or local race fan, doesn't want to see a higher race boat count at the races. The St. Clair River Race is one of the best and it is because of a few of things, great spectator viewing, great race atmosphere at the race site and the big boat count. Whether you are a local or not, the bigger the boat count the better the race for racers and spectators. You just have to look at Key West where they have a big boat count and a great race site and also because it is the Worlds. It's all about big boat counts, location and spectator viewing. If you didn't mean that, please disregard.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
Hi Dean!

You said that "The difference between 44 boats and 64 boats doesn't mean much to the locals". If you are talking about the amount of race boats attending a race, I would have to disagree with you. What race fan or local race fan, doesn't want to see a higher race boat count at the races. The St. Clair River Race is one of the best and it is because of a few of things, great spectator viewing, great race atmosphere at the race site and the big boat count. Whether you are a local or not, the bigger the boat count the better the race for racers and spectators. You just have to look at Key West where they have a big boat count and a great race site and also because it is the Worlds. It's all about big boat counts, location and spectator viewing. If you didn't mean that, please disregard.

I agree with the bigger the better, but the cost just does not justify the extra boats. It will cost an extra 100-150k to add OSS to an even, or so I was told. That’s a lot of scratch to any promoter, city or race site.

As for the racers wanting more boats to race against, well being a racer I would say YES I would love more boats to race against, But would bring the OSS to our event add more boats in Class 4? Would it add more boats in Class 6, 5 or 3?

When you spoke of St Clair you listed boat count last and Spectator viewing and race atmosphere toward the top, those you listed first can make an event before boat count. You can have 100 boats at a crappy venue and the average fan will always remember the event, or how poor the viewing was. But you can have an incredible venue with a 40 boat count and people will speak highly of the race.

So maybe the key to success is promoting the venues that support the sport, boy did I just spin off topic from my own point I was trying to make or what.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Registered

Default key west

hi guys
just some questions from across the pond in the uk,
we will be in keywest for the worlds and would like to know how many classes there are and how many boats in each ?
we are racing in dubai at the moment with 25+ boats in a 6ltr dough wright,just the 1 class very cool.

thanks derek..
Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

hi scott
thanks for that, next question is do you think we can blag some pit passes if required ?

derek.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
Hi Dean!

AB,

I agree that in a perfect world 100 + would be great, but in reality the average guy at race is not a "Fan". They are just there for a good time. Additionally the Fan doesn't pay for the event it is the local bar, restaurant, sponsor etc. thru program ad sales and donations. They don't care about a 100 boats, they care about spectators and I believe they come out with 40 boats. Your example of St Clair is a perfect example. They had tons of fans with only 48 boats. It was bigger than the previous year when OPA and OSS did a joint race. It was largely due to the Bands and Fair that came along with the race. I would love to have everyone at our event, but unless more $ can be raised it isn't gonna happen.

AB, do you want to buy a spot in our 2009 Metro Beach program?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Registered

AB....You also have to look at....but bringing in more boats you are also adding 8 more class's.....so yes there are more boats and added expense that we know can't be raised...but remember if 20 more boats show with a joint event...and there are even 7 more class's added its less then 3 boat per class with those added class's....the days of one Org paying for another to show up are gone....its not going to happen....
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Wahoo ATV;2698094]AB,

I agree that in a perfect world 100 + would be great, but in reality the average guy at race is not a "Fan". They are just there for a good time. Additionally the Fan doesn't pay for the event it is the local bar, restaurant, sponsor etc. thru program ad sales and donations. They don't care about a 100 boats, they care about spectators and I believe they come out with 40 boats. Your example of St Clair is a perfect example. They had tons of fans with only 48 boats. It was bigger than the previous year when OPA and OSS did a joint race. It was largely due to the Bands and Fair that came along with the race. I would love to have everyone at our event, but unless more $ can be raised it isn't gonna happen.

AB, do you want to buy a spot in our 2009 Metro Beach program?[/QUOTE

Dean! To get sponsors for a race is no easy task, if not in possible and the more fans that attend a race means more money to the local bar's and restaurants who sponsored the race. I would say that, in St. Clair, it is one of their biggest revenue's for the year. When Detroit and Windsor held the Red Bull Races this year, they had 700,000 spectators and for many business in Windsor, it was one of the busiest weekends they ever had. This was due to all spectators who came to watch the race which was something they had never seen before. The fan or guy at the offshore powerboat races that just wants to have a good time, is going to have a better time watching more boats racing then less, unless they can't see them, then they really don't give a **** about racing but on the other side I think most people do care and for them it is to see a lot of boats racing and having a good time. I agree we don't live in a perfect world and who wouldn't love to see a 100+ boats racing but to me, 45+boats is pretty close. I agree 100% that it is extremely hard to get the money from sponsors to put on a race and the way things are right now, not only in the United States but around the World, who knows what is going to happen. Maybe this is the time for all the (ORG'S) to sit down after the Key West Worlds and see how everyone can help each other and pool all their talents together to discuss classes, entree fees , schedules or even being bold enough to discuss Unification of all the Org.'s and put all their marbles in one basket. I don't think you have to live in a perfect world to try and do something that is positive for all, even if a few don't agree, put it to a vote. Times are scary for many and in Offshore Powerboat Racing, you are a family and a family takes care of their family members in good times and especially bad times. As to your request to me for a spot in the Metro Beach Program, email me at [email protected] and we will see what we can do.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

The Key West WORLDS should have about 75 boats in 15 or so classes.

SVU
SV
SVL
F1
SBU
SCL
SS
TX
P1
P2
P3
P4
P5

Quick Reply: SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.