Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes? >

In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes?

Notices

In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Joe, dont shoot the messenger here. Racing is about a show you can sell and putting a lot of boats on a course to provide a show. There are only so many multi millionaires that can afford to race in turbine extreme. 4-6 boats is best estaminet of what your class will ever achieve in my opinion. When the other 4-5 teams can not win or out spend the competition they will stop showing and have a reason that they can not make it.
In a perfect world there would be 2-3 classes that had 25 boats per class.That would be a show you could sell to sponsors. You need a reasonable cost class for start up teams, a vee class and a cat class. At this time there are no main stream sponsors for teams except for a very few teams. Less cost = more race teams per class. If people feel its for rich people only you will get a negative response. No poor family wants to root for some rich kid racing a boat. They cant afford a new bike for there kids so why should they be happy for you. Thats why people relate to the smaller style boats with people hangen and bangen. It reminds them of something that just might be in reach!!!!!
MD
Old 10-10-2008, 10:01 PM
KANTSTAYAWAY

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
. They cant afford a new bike for there kids so why should they be happy for you. Thats why people relate to the smaller style boats with people hangen and bangen. It reminds them of something that just might be in reach!!!!!
MD
Those very people relate with million dollar teams in nascar .very few support friday nite roundtrack . Youre wrong

Old 10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t see any right or wrong is this thread only peoples suggestions and observations.

It's all good...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by sbracing
We don't need a feeder class. If someone wants to race and
has the financial backing to do it, P class racing offers 6 classes for them to race in. Offering a trophy class won't
bring in any new racers. P class racing as OPA has set up
is working in my opinion.
The problem lies with the "Pro Classes" There are too many.
NASCAR has 1 premier class. NHRA has 4. Indycar has 1.
Grand am Rolex has 2.
To most casual fans a catamaran is a catamaran. Why then
is there more than 1 catamaran class? Turbine, Supercharged, 850, 750, 525 etc... Nothing against the teams
in these classes, but why not one class with one engine package? Same with supervee. Only need 1 class there.

In my opinion:
Supercat Class
Super Vee

Everyone else P Classes 1 - 6

Rich

I'm just looking for a way that a "new" team can get there feet wet and maybe go race for a couple 100 bucks and gas. Removing the purse would help do that, but like I said its all suggestions and ideas.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sbracing
We don't need a feeder class. If someone wants to race and
has the financial backing to do it, P class racing offers 6 classes for them to race in. Offering a trophy class won't
bring in any new racers. P class racing as OPA has set up
is working in my opinion.
The problem lies with the "Pro Classes" There are too many.
NASCAR has 1 premier class. NHRA has 4. Indycar has 1.
Grand am Rolex has 2.
To most casual fans a catamaran is a catamaran. Why then
is there more than 1 catamaran class? Turbine, Supercharged, 850, 750, 525 etc... Nothing against the teams
in these classes, but why not one class with one engine package? Same with supervee. Only need 1 class there.

In my opinion:
Supercat Class
Super Vee

Everyone else P Classes 1 - 6

Rich
AGREE 100%
Old 10-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
I'm just looking for a way that a "new" team can get there feet wet and maybe go race for a couple 100 bucks and gas. Removing the purse would help do that, but like I said its all suggestions and ideas.
The answer there might be to lower the equipment / registration fees if you race in two or less events and therefore you don't get prize money or points, only trophy
if you place.
If you make class 6 an entry level class and restrict who can race there, you won't have enough boats
to have a race. You end up with one or two at each event.
I'm with you Rick, suggestions and ideas!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:43 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perfect world... 1 premier national org. (supported by 3 or 4 regional groups with bracket/p/feeder classes)

Race #1
Superstock (class 3 UIM)
Super Vee Light

Race #2
Supercat (class 1 UIM, their new rules are closer now as well)
SuperVee (P1 UIM power/weight)

Race #3
Unlimited

All canopy boats. All equipped with a "Virtual specator" system like used in P1 and Class 3 already with on board footage as well. All teams pay their reg and entry fees up front into a pool for the National title, incentive to race the entire season.

Now back to reality.... 15 or so classes an average of 3 or 4 boats a class.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H

All canopy boats. All equipped with a "Virtual specator" system like used in P1 and Class 3 already with on board footage as well. All teams pay their reg and entry fees up front into a pool for the National title, incentive to race the entire season.
we are working on it. but, a LIVE version.

"If people feel its for rich people only you will get a negative response. No poor family wants to root for some rich kid racing a boat. They cant afford a new bike for there kids so why should they be happy for you."

Ya gota look at the demographic of our sport. it's high. Look at the demographic of MONSTER Trucks. it's way LOWer...doesn't stop the millions the teams spend!!! O, by the way i was fixing kids bikes in our pits at LOTO.

you say there is not enough guys out there with money for a super cat....been to a poker run lately??

i have worked very hard in 20 years of professional racing to attract sponsors. from riding a bicycle to racing a bat boat w/my wife,,,we have had sponsors right there for us.

if i can get paid to ride a frig'n bicycle, there sure as $hit money out there for racing a boat!

if anyone would like my .02 on sponsorship i would be happy to help ya out. excerpt:"They contain the theories, thoughts, visions, and ideologies that have been the driving force of JBS Racing since its inception."
Old 10-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,717 Likes on 3,788 Posts

In a perfect world Huh,

Some one would discover the money tree, and it replenished money immediately after being plucked, Skaters, MTI, Mystics cost less than a Hering Prop, Hering props cost less than a tank of fuel, and well fuel was as cheap and abundant as the water the boats race in.

There is your perfect world, now time for reality. Racing isnt cheap by any stretch of the imagination, many sacrafice other pleasure's so they can race. And the reality is everyone has a passion, but not the same idea on how to get there, many want to take the hard road, some the path of least resistance, and some choose to seek their own agenda.
Funny thing is one day all these stories will make a good book.

One cat class 850/750, with good tech before and after
One Cat Ob Class
One Single Engine Vee
And one single Vee ob class that has a budget cap.

Cant wait to see how 2009 pans out, see ya KW.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,717 Likes on 3,788 Posts

[QUOTE]you say there is not enough guys out there with money for a super cat....been to a poker run lately??
/QUOTE]

Your right but they have their own agenda's as well, they see value in the equipment, and of course want to be king of the run!!!

Quick Reply: In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.