Notices

new Class 1 rules

Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

ill have ask chuck..i thought chuck met them in key west n the 80's..do u think class one will do this...frank call me tommorrow..
Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,

If class 1 goes in this direction will the states follow? They can be full of c r a p too. Jan Z.(Jotun) punched Venterelli (victory)in the nose last year during a wppa/iota meeting so I think it is hard to pass things through with that many ego's. I think it is a good move. The boats will take more abuse and be less likely to have a sudden end. Cheaper too. The key thing is where do qatar and victory stand.

Clean out your aol account so I can send you some pics of the new toys. Went testing for 3 hrs. yesterday out of the box.

pat W
Old 10-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony,

Bottom line Bill (Barrie-Cotter) is pushing it for his benefit, ie: he has bought up all the engines he can for "prospective customers". Bill is not a stupid person, if he can see a buck in it then he will do it. Yes I hope it brings in more teams but like has been pointed out the budgets that Sheikh Ahmed (Victory) and Sheikh Hassan (Qatar) have dwarfs anything that teams in the US or Australia/NZ could even dream of. Go for a wander through the Victory team building and see how much they have tied up in this, its staggering.

The chances of Saeed and co (Dubai Intl Marine Club & WPPA) changing the Dec dates so the boats could go to Key West I think are slim to none, as those dates have some signifcance for them and unless they are airfreighted there is no way they would get there and back in time, and its the final race of the Class 1 season.

Bill (Barrie-Cotter) spat the dummy a number of years ago when the rules kept getting changed in Class 1 and he took all his toys and went back to Australia. Whats to say this time isnt going to be any different. I for one would love to see more boats on the Class 1 circuit, they put on an awesome event and the hospitality is great. Like someone said, the entry price might be easier to get into the class, but if you want to win its still going to be the guys with the biggest chequebook who win.

It would be fantastic to see Tony, Bob Bull, Tom Abrahms, Dave Scott and co run in Class 1 and there are about 6 boats downunder that would be eligible as well. Mind you who would end up with Steve Curtis - Tom or Sheikh Hassan

Ned

Just my two cents worth.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Registered

I see..ned call me when u can...i figured u knew him from down there..havent heard from u ..are they going to the rest of class one with this???

Last edited by byrideroffshore; 10-18-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Im shocked they have rule issues over there in class1.
And I thought it was just the teams in the US that couldnt get it right.
MD
Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KiaKaha
Tony,

Bottom line Bill (Barrie-Cotter) is pushing it for his benefit, ie: he has bought up all the engines he can for "prospective customers". Bill is not a stupid person, if he can see a buck in it then he will do it. Yes I hope it brings in more teams but like has been pointed out the budgets that Sheikh Ahmed (Victory) and Sheikh Hassan (Qatar) have dwarfs anything that teams in the US or Australia/NZ could even dream of. Go for a wander through the Victory team building and see how much they have tied up in this, its staggering.

The chances of Saeed and co (Dubai Intl Marine Club & WPPA) changing the Dec dates so the boats could go to Key West I think are slim to none, as those dates have some signifcance for them and unless they are airfreighted there is no way they would get there and back in time, and its the final race of the Class 1 season.

Bill (Barrie-Cotter) spat the dummy a number of years ago when the rules kept getting changed in Class 1 and he took all his toys and went back to Australia. Whats to say this time isnt going to be any different. I for one would love to see more boats on the Class 1 circuit, they put on an awesome event and the hospitality is great. Like someone said, the entry price might be easier to get into the class, but if you want to win its still going to be the guys with the biggest chequebook who win.

It would be fantastic to see Tony, Bob Bull, Tom Abrahms, Dave Scott and co run in Class 1 and there are about 6 boats downunder that would be eligible as well. Mind you who would end up with Steve Curtis - Tom or Sheikh Hassan

Ned

Just my two cents worth.
Dosen't matter who steve goes with Vinny & I are gonna kick everybody's a$$ anyway
Old 10-18-2008, 05:38 AM
Registered

could u imagne bigboy racing over there...oh no

randy there tryin to keep costs down..the electronics they use is unbelievable over there..not just engine management...the motor packages have alot of variables...

u better be ready bigboy...oh Pete let me work on your boat while it was at Skater
I checked the whole electrical system and I "think" everything is tight....he even let me straighten the bottom of your boat up it was a little crooked....

Last edited by byrideroffshore; 10-18-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Great post Ned...it's nice to see it NOT all sugar coated like so many posts are.....I could easily see this turning out with Victory Pulling out and then where would class 1 be????
Old 10-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Ryan,

I doubt Victory would pull out of Class 1 or any other racing they do as they are not just there as a team, but they represent Dubai as a country and are an integral part of the Dubai Tourism marketing structure. All they will do is build boats under the new rules and still have the same budget. They got involved in Class 3 - 6 Litre and run very well in that class as well. They dont win every race but they are competitive.

Sheikh Hassan from Qatar is the same way, the boats are just called Qatar and they are used to promote the country, not individuals. The one thing I do like is how the rules will limit what you can do with the boats, so it comes down more to the guys who maintain the engines, often the forgotten heroes, and the guys behind the wheels. It will become more about reliability and the set up of the boats rather than how much money you can put into the boat.

But even if Victory pulled out Class 1 would still move ahead as you have some great teams there such as the Italians, Jotun, etc and its like saying if Gary Ballough pulled out of your racing there then more people would get the opportunity to win the races

I doubt they would leave Class 1 but if they did that could just be the catalyst for more teams to enter as they know they have a lot better chance of winning. Class III 6 Litre have over 30 boats entered in each race and Victory and Qatar are just two of the teams. Its probably one of the best series out there and is a feeder class for the Class 1 teams. Qatar and Victory use this class to "train" their younger drivers and when the time is right they step them up to the big boats.

Anyway I am digressing a bit here. Bottom line I would actually see Class 1 getting stronger if they lock the rules in. Maybe they could schedule a specific Key West race where they have both P1 and Class 1 racing. Now that would be a drawcard.

Ned
Old 10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

It is very similar to what happened in the US 10 years ago. 2 teams went head to head in Open class and out spent EVERYONE. That was the end of Open class and let to SUPERCAT. CLASS 1 has evolved from the same OPEN class that we had here 10 years ago that I speak of. With Victory teams traction control & gyros it sounds to me like they've by far out spent every one else.

Very few people in the US seem to be intrested in Class III / 6 Litre right now. GB has been at the top of that game for along time . He has raced stock class since around 1986, that is along time to hone his skills and now he is the best. He's had some competition over the last few years but still managed to do quite well, but I agree , he may scare some people out of the class.

There will always be a few teams that will outspend in every class, no matter which class it is. It is near impossible to control this for sure. The VICTORY team has way too much money invested to just bail out, but I am surprised that they would allow the rules to be manipulated another direction after they spent so much developing the current technologies that they are using.

I believe it would make more sense for EVERYONE to race in a smaller class that EVERYONE can afford to some extent instead of Class 1 that only a very few could ever afford to race in. Just like anything else it usually about egos and someone always having to have the biggest boat or spend the most. Imagine if all the boats were 6 litre the class on teams could run 4 boats each compared to what it costs them to run one C1 boat.

How many Class one team are there currently? How many teams won a race this season?

I was on the Australian site recently and realized there was a good class of boats in C1 there , will they all compete in Class One next season abroad? Isn't that going to really hurt the racing down under?

They best KW race ever was 1987 as I remember with a large fleet of foreign entries. With the current Class 1 schedule I don't see how they could ever make KW in Nov. I don't think you can put any class 1 boat on an airplane as they are too wide. But I could be wrong. I usually am.

Quick Reply: new Class 1 rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.