Notices

Race Team Costs

Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Team Costs

Got a chance to see World finals in Key West. Awesome. Just curious to find out from race teams, how much does it cost to operate a team for the season? If anyone has a breakdown on costs that would be great. If your not comfortable posting information feel free to PM me. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on what you want to campaign, $25,000 to unlimited. Not including the cost of the boat or tow rig. You can figure at least $2k per race just for travel.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered

3 words ....DONT DO IT. Its like heroin. Once you start, you always want more, bigger and faster. Then rehab.

But if you must know....

take class 5. relatively inexpensive. 28 feet, single motor and drive.

reliable package with trailer $35,000 - 50k (former F-1 boat)
reliable hauler 25,000-50,000
annual registration (OPA) 500 + 100 each team member.
GPS 500
travel and lodging 1000-2000 per race depending on how many rooms you need. And how far you have to travel.

the high you get in your first race...priceless

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 11-11-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Registered

OR you can do like we did HA HA
New 29' boat with a new 525 merc with ITS and a X drive....$130,000.00
New Top Kick.... $80,000
Full race team with uniforms....$25,000.00

Breaking out at every race.....priceless !!!!!

In other words DON"T DO IT!!!!!

See you at the races. Chris
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
3 words ....DONT DO IT. Its like heroin. Once you start, you always want more, bigger and faster. Then rehab.

But if you must know....

take class 5. relatively inexpensive. 28 feet, single motor and drive.

reliable package with trailer $35,000 - 50k (former F-1 boat)
reliable hauler 25,000-50,000
annual registration (OPA) 500 + 100 each team member.
GPS 500
travel and lodging 1000-2000 per race depending on how many rooms you need. And how far you have to travel.

the high you get in your first race...priceless
sounds about right Bruce, aviatorg3 you looking for a class 5 boat?
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Race Team Costs-201145812-m.jpg  
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Registered

If you work on conserving money you can do it for a lot less....

For the traveling...you can fined a place to stow the boat around the Orgs circuit....cut down on traveling....

In F1 in my first year I picked up a new 26' motor home to tow the boat with and stayed in the motorhome at night it slept 6 and had a shower...I sold it 2 years later and for what I saved in hotel rooms for 2 years....I came away about 10k to the plus...

.....you can save close to $600 to 1k a race just there alone

For an example...

Buy a new 26 foot Joker Powerboat to race in Class 6 and pick up a used 525 and XR drive, thats a bullet proof package right there and if you have someone that can do a lot of the rigging that would put you around.... 45k or so....

Buy a used 24 Motorhome....you can steal them right now....12k to 18K on a decent one....

If you race OPA...a lot of races are in the N.J area other then the 2 races in Mich. there are some great guys that will let you store your boat there to save on traveling.....

Lets say you do 5 races in OPA and you finish in 3rd in only 1 race in the 5...that picks up your fee's for the year....

You can find yourself maybe spending $300 to $400 a race....and thats if you do not win any prise money....

Were your expenses really come in....is you can find yourself just between hotels and drinking and eating out everyday and night spending $1000 to 1400 for the weekend....

You can even find a good racer that would pay you $300 to $600 a race for the seat...and split any prise money....that alone can cover most of your expenses for the race weekend....and would leave you with maintaning the boat....and with the 525 and XR...you can change the engine and drive oil along with the plugs and she will run fine...

If you are serious....I could give you a break down of things....I kept cost down very low my first 2 years racing in F1....

For the perks....

Just on the GEICO Tripple Crown in 3 races you had a shot at 11k for 1st...

The compitition.....

The great freinds you will make....

And the shot at winning against some great racers....

I just did Key West for a lot less then everyone said it would cost.....and I stayed at a upscale resort with a hudge room and balcony overlooking the ocean...

Last edited by MANITIE; 11-11-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah, although most offshore racers don't do it, a lot of the inboard hydro guys sleep in tents at the site and have all their stuff packed in the boat when they arrive. You can race like that for a couple hundred a weekend. But that doesn't include breakage or a new boat every couple of years to move up in class
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Registered

I want to thank everyone for the information that is posted. I'm starting to get an idea of what to expect. For those of you that have sponsors, what can you typically expect from them. I understand each will be different, and depends on the sponsors size. I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible. Once again, thanks to all that have posted replies.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Racer
Racer

Don't bet on any sponsor money. If you are lucky enough and capable to work hard enough to find one, you are in the minority. It is very hard to give them value for their investment. Most OPA guys try to get $250 for a small sticker on the boat to $5000 for the whole side of the boat.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aviatorg3
I want to thank everyone for the information that is posted. I'm starting to get an idea of what to expect. For those of you that have sponsors, what can you typically expect from them. I understand each will be different, and depends on the sponsors size. I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible. Once again, thanks to all that have posted replies.
On sponsorship....its not what other teams can get or are getting......its what your team can provide and offer to promote a company.....being it would be your 1st year racing with no real numbers to show a potental sponsor....or your passed racing accomplishments.....you would be better to start with some of your local bussiness's that you may have freinds or have ties to.....you would already have credibility with people that already know you.....and offer a number of ways to promote there company...on a local level......as far as what its worth.....after you figure on what there logo's would cost....you should be looking at anything.....even $200 to $300....you will be suprised how 8 or 9 little companys that offer $300 or so $ will add up....vice getting nothing tring to get one big name sponsor....you will find out also that it is a lot easier the next year to raise that sponsporship from $300 to 1k in just one year....but you need to show them the benifitt of them putting out there money....and if you keep this up in 3 or 4 years you will see those little sponsors will add up to 20k+ a year and they will just be your associate sponsors and can still have the opertunity to go out and get your main sponsor...and now with testimonial from your associtate sponsors....

But you should not go into it with the mind set that you are going to go out and get a 20k+ sponsor in your 1st year....

Last edited by MANITIE; 11-12-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Race Team Costs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.