Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Victory vs. Doug Wright hull? >

Victory vs. Doug Wright hull?

Notices

Victory vs. Doug Wright hull?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean whats the theory on the high freeboard??
Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically for a couple of reasons......a higher freeboard creates a thicker wing which gives more lift (although too high and it will create drag), the deck/hull join is rounded and the boat has narrow sponsons so the higher freeboard on the standard boat allows the use of inboards. I think the latest incarnation of the boat, G Ballough's yellow TNT boat, is one of the best as it was purpose built for outboards and cut down with the canopy from the 38 for more room. However, as can be seen from races with Stihl the cut down deck hasn't made it any faster....it now carries the bow a bit better with less aerodynamic lift in the stern.

We did a lot of cool changes to the bottom of the 38 which I think would make the 32 a killer if he incorporated them into the mold. For instance the tunnel starts as a 2" radius at the bow and gradually increases to a 12" 45 degree at the stern to increase compression while keeping the same tunnel width, slight S curve to the hull is a little more forgiving in over trimmed situations and adds a boundary layer to decrease drag in the tunnel, etc........hell I even added steps to the spray rails in mine to reduce hydrodynamic drag.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by byrideroffshore
Sean whats the theory on the high freeboard??
what dale said pretty much covers it..

also, as far as the 38, the higher sides allows more contour which helps with crosswind issues compared to flat sides, the boat doesn't seem to be sensitive to them very much at all.

I also think it is decieving to look at with the shape of the boat and the canopy farther forward than most cats its size. It makes the height at the cg appear taller. I bet if you put a tape measure on it that it would be only a few inches taller than a skater or mti at its cg as well.

the cockpit has room to come down a few inches and the bow could be lowered a bit, but really, at the cg and rearward its nearly ideal for that boat. (the transom could come up a few inches actually)

even with the engines a half inch off the bottom of the sponsons it still required scoops to fit the 850's, so it can't be that tall.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee Wiz Fellas all this tech talk is very intimidating. Heck I don't even know what freeboard is. Anyway I'm gonna give my 2cents just cuz I can. Guy's 38 is impressive to say the least although with the 525's if they went any slower they'd be going backwards. The 850's are working well for them and as a-z said a little tweeking and the others 850's are gonna be chasing. That's if Guy keeps it straight. The boat has great lines ( or lack of ) and looks really cool. One thing I don't like is that there dosen't seem to be good visability. it's only my speculation cuz I haven't been in it but the windows are very small which I know is much safer but you gotta be able to see. OK I'm done now but look foward to messin with the fury team this year they cool dudes

Last edited by GARBAGEMAN; 03-02-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by GARBAGEMAN
Gee Wiz Fellas all this tech talk is very intimidating. Heck I don't even know what freeboard is.
Those are outside on a job sites each night...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GARBAGEMAN
Gee Wiz Fellas all this tech talk is very intimidating. Heck I don't even know what freeboard is. Anyway I'm gonna give my 2cents just cuz I can. Guy's 38 is impressive to say the least although with the 525's if they went any slower they'd be going backwards. The 850's are working well for them and as a-z said a little tweeking and the others 850's are gonna be chasing. That's if Guy keeps it straight. The boat has great lines ( or lack of ) and looks really cool. One thing I don't like is that there dosen't seem to be good visability. it's only my speculation cuz I haven't been in it but the windows are very small which I know is much safer but you gotta be able to see. OK I'm done now but look foward to messin with the fury team this year they cool dudes
you just make sure you drag that skater down to biloxi at the end of the month.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
Those are outside on a job sites each night...
sorry Rick but I don't get it ? Ya gotta remember I spent about 23 or 24 years of my 40 on a garbage truck barely finished high school and didn't go to college. I'm not that bright so can ya keep the jokes simple. That is if it is a joke.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
you just make sure you drag that skater down to biloxi at the end of the month.
I know you can be more creative !
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks both of u, I Love hearing the reasoning. It seems to work great. I know we went through some real thought proceses with Pete when we did the first 38.hopefully we can work together to make the 850 package run in SUPERCAT. I am sure DW would love to compete against everyone like us. Dales ideas have alot of merit...Thanks

GARBAGEHEAD better go find a bigger bottle of asprin, because i'm going to be your biggest headache this year...maybe we have to put a little wager on the SUPERCAT
"triple crown"

ST Clair Tom Abrams backyard
Patchogue Your backyard
Port Clinton Mine (if it happens)

Ps i still owe u for last years embarasssment in Patchougue
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by byrideroffshore
Thanks both of u, I Love hearing the reasoning. It seems to work great. I know we went through some real thought proceses with Pete when we did the first 38.hopefully we can work together to make the 850 package run in SUPERCAT. I am sure DW would love to compete against everyone like us. Dales ideas have alot of merit...Thanks

GARBAGEHEAD better go find a bigger bottle of asprin, because i'm going to be your biggest headache this year...maybe we have to put a little wager on the SUPERCAT
"triple crown"

ST Clair Tom Abrams backyard
Patchogue Your backyard
Port Clinton Mine (if it happens)

Ps i still owe u for last years embarasssment in Patchougue
i think we need to make it like sunny isles, sarasota and st clair.... have a supercat triple crown winner, all challengers welcome.

Quick Reply: Victory vs. Doug Wright hull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.