Shootout Methanol Engines

Notices

Shootout Methanol Engines

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shootout Methanol Engines

Have been receiving numerous inquiries about the engines used for the 196 mph run at this year's Shootout.
They are de-tuned methanol engines built and tuned by Lowell Bodenbach of New Century Performance. Lowell has been a crew member on our team for years. There are two power settings these engines have been tuned for - the lowest whcih we used for the Shootout.
On Saturday, we had a failure on the port engine which caused JT and I to abort the run. After putting out a small alcohol related fire, we towed the boat back to the docks before taking it to the marina. Later that night, the guys worked till 4:30am to get it running again. Although we knew in advance that the engine had been hurt and would be down on power, I asked Lucky to try and give me enough endurance to at least finish one pass - which he did.
Due to new rules this year, the run itself was the slowest Shootout start that JT and I have ever made - 28.6 on our GPS. Due to the port engine being down on power Sunday, we didn't leave the start box as strong as we did on the brief Saturday run. In addition, the port engine was down 500+ rpm throughout the run - in effect causing the good starbord engine to have to work harder throughout the one mile course.
After the run, it was obvious that the port engine was done and would not be able to make any more passes. Accordingly, we parked the boat for the day but remained very pleased with our 196 mph pass - especially considering all of the circumstances!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

It was a great run Dave, you will get it done next year. Watched it on the computer, may bring out the Vee for next years run. it looks like fun
Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very strong pass from a non-turbine boat, maybe the best piston pass ever? Wish I had been there to see you run. Still wearing the cap you gave me.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered

Default Awsome run!

Dave,
I wish I was there but glad I got to see it online. My wife and I were both on the edge of our seats like the last drive of a Super Bowl. LOL.

See ya soon,
Tony
Old 09-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still an incredible run, especially considering the loss on one side.
My hat's off to your crew for pulling the late-nighter and getting you back in the game.