Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
What happened to "United We Race" >

What happened to "United We Race"

Notices

What happened to "United We Race"

Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys-Just the fact that we have opinion going back & forth is good! If we want change it has to be in some sort of direction & any direction is more than it has been so far. I am new to the promotion part of this sport, so I just throw it out & see what comes back. That is the point where things can be addressed. As far as rules & classes go, we are very close to resolving that issue to be a non-issue. There are "very experienced" offshore racers (you all know) on the ABPA ORC (Offshore Racing Committee) that are taking the reins so not to worry on that front. One step closer!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Johnson
Interesting, POPRA has been working towards the goals that you state that you believe in, yet you choose to attemp to slap us in the face.
I will give you a challange; I see that you are running a Hallet with big horsepower, you show up in Havasu, April 8th thru the 10th and win your class. POPRA will refund your entry fees and pay tow money out.
You make strong statements, let's see if you can back them up.
Brad Johnson
(530) 550-1638
Hello Brad:

When did I mention POPRA I did not...you did. I do not think POPRA has a schedule other than a handful of events with one or two boats per class and thats if they only have four classes like Bayfair.

Come on now Brad don't get your Johnson all in a bunch it is not the same as the east coast racing currently going on... even in this dismal economy. If the East coast schedules occurred out West then it would be a different story. I thought about putting in an entry in SBI for 2011 but the travel and logistics would be to overwhelming.

Racing in the West really is a tough venue to crack unless your running GN, K-Boats, or Super Stock V-Drives and Jets. Then your gonna find classes with competitors.

I will give you a call so you don't think this is just online Bul l sh it and strong statements that resemble the truth.

KAP
Old 03-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default united

Kap you can have east coast racing if you use the opa bracket racing format.
The west coast has lots of old f-1 and f-2 boats and im sure there are a lot of old A and B boats floating around.
Perfect for opa type of racing like i said before im not the biggest fan of bracket racing but its better then nothing.
Plus it gets old race boats out that would have no place to go.
The good thing about what smitty does with the opa is they make no major rule changes they vote on changes and they are always open to here about tweeks to help things out.
I dont want to sound like the poster child for the opa but i think for most part its best thing going on now .
I think if the west adopts some form of opa it will catch on.
Then you could have some form of east verse west worlds.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=gary cook;3358327]Kap you can have east coast racing if you use the opa bracket racing format.
The west coast has lots of old f-1 and f-2 boats and im sure there are a lot of old A and B boats floating around.
Perfect for opa type of racing like i said before im not the biggest fan of bracket racing but its better then nothing.
Plus it gets old race boats out that would have no place to go.
The good thing about what smitty does with the opa is they make no major rule changes they vote on changes and they are always open to here about tweeks to help things out.
I dont want to sound like the poster child for the opa but i think for most part its best thing going on now .
I think if the west adopts some form of opa it will catch on.
Then you could have some form of east verse west worlds.[/
QUOTE]

Hello Gary:

I like your idea above in bold and highlighted... it would be a great idea. So why hasn't anyone adopted this style to venues out west.

OPA has the players and the organization to make things happen not to mention various venues to choose from when devising a schedule from Atlantic City to Orange Beach

This is something POPRA should consider and see if parties are willing to commit. We had Bayfair last year and if the Unlimited Hydros had not made an appearance at the last minute the event would have been a complete versus partial disaster.

Currently, the biggest offshore event on the West Coast is the Catalina Ski Race which has a huge draw out West. However, Desert Storm is a Poker Run [187 boats] and draws more fan attention IMO than the Catalina Ski Race.

I like what your saying!

KAP