SBI & OPA Unite in NYC

Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SBI & OPA Unite in NYC

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Offshore Powerboat Association Joins SBI in New York
Teams Race On The Hudson September 8th – 10th, 2011
KEY WEST, FL (March 22, 2011) –Super Boat International (SBI) is excited about this year’s 21st Annual New York Super Boat Grand Prix (Tribute to the 10th anniversary of 9-11) coming September 8th – 10th. Joining Super Boat International in New York will be race teams from the Offshore Powerboat Association (OPA). SBI has struck an agreement with OPA that entitles members of OPA to submit their entries and participate in the 21st Annual New York Grand Prix.
OPA race teams will run under the SBI rules and regulations and participate in the appropriate size classes. All teams will race for cash prizes and Super Boat trophies. Super Boat International races on the Hudson River between New Jersey and Manhattan from the Statue of Liberty up to Chelsea Pier. Super Boat is the only organization for which the United States Coast Guard and New York Port Authority actually closes the Hudson River down during the event. River travel is closed to through traffic during the final day’s race.
Owner of Super Boat International, John Carbonell, continues to produce marquee offshore race events around the United States and New York is one such event. “We have raced here in New York for 20 years and, ever since 9-11, this race holds a special meaning to us and our race teams. I believe any team who wants to come race with us here and honor those involved in 9-11 should do so.”
This year’s event will again pay tribute to the families and friends and those involved in 9-11. Every year following the tragic 9-11 attack, Super Boat has been committed to return and produce an Offshore Powerboat race on the Hudson. “Teams and fans enjoy coming here racing with the beautiful city of New York as the backdrop,” says Carbonell. “The river actually produces a very challenging course for teams similar to normal [wave action] in typical offshore races.”
We look forward to seeing all Super Boat and OPA members in New York this September.
About Super Boat International
Super Boat International (SBI) is the longest running professional offshore racing organization in North America. SBI President and Founder, John Carbonell produces races, kilo speed events and distance attempts all across the United States, South America and the Bahamas. In 2011, Super Boat International moves into the 4th decade of running the famed Key West World Championships.
###
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
entitles members of OPA to submit their entries and participate in the 21st Annual New York Grand Prix.
ok I'll open up the can of worms, HOW MUCH?????
Old 03-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

FANTASTIC! Now if SBI would honor this for Sarasota-we could race there after OPA's Sunny Ise race....humm...??
Great question Trent, how much $? How little $?

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 03-22-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question?

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
SBI has struck an agreement with OPA that entitles members of OPA to submit their entries and participate in the 21st Annual New York Grand Prix.

Have OPA teams always been allowed to race with the SBI as long as they submit an entry, or was something left out?

###
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thats great but do not forget about Solomons Island, Maryland for the National Championship. Hope to see everyone there!

www.solomonsrace.com
Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karaokemike
Thats great but do not forget about Solomons Island, Maryland for the National Championship. Hope to see everyone there!

www.solomonsrace.com
I dont know Mikey. My ex-wife has a manicure scheduled for that weekend, I'll do my best....
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NYC is in our back yard. It is the 10th anniversary of 9/11.
John and I felt the weekend was too important to the NYC and NJ area to let our Offshore ego's stand in the way.

We have had many talks in the past in ref to doing some races together, maybe this is a start of things to come. Who knows.

For this race, SBI will accept the OPA registrations. Teams will have to pay the SBI entrance fees. Prize purse will be paid accordingly.

As far as rules etc. Rather than overload OSO. If an SBI team has any questions call John at 305 296 6166
If an OPA team has any questions call me at 732 920 3945 Smitty
Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey Smitty, we need to work out something so the SBI racers that would like to can join us in Solomon's Island also! We can store the boats for them here so they don't have to trailer back and forth and they can participate in our version of Key West
Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
I dont know Mikey. My ex-wife has a manicure scheduled for that weekend, I'll do my best....

Hey Trent, if it's the Ex let her know I'll take care of her nails, might even throw in a pedi and a wax, get your azz back to Solomon's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.